Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

BonHair posted:

Speaking of docking, why would you ever actually do that when transporters exist? Hell, unless you need a lot of cargo transported, even shuttles are a better option for transportation.

It's to give transporter control as few chances as possible to try and experiment with dupe bugs, if you limit them to living beings most of them keep it in check. Hell, I'm betting there are some truly horrifying Ferengi experiments out there thinking they've stumbled on an infinite money cheat after Riker 2 showed up on DS9 and that story got out there.

I'm now just sitting here imagining someone trying to roll back transporter code to the correct revision to allow for the most heinous shenanigans but it gets discovered when a diplomat comes aboard, takes three steps off the pad, and Scanners-es out.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

zoux posted:

Thanks for the response. poo poo has changed so much since the 90s, but probably nothing more than how we conceive of and talk about gender, and not just in terms of transness. You watch something like The Outcast and you know their hearts were in the right place, but it's still largely heteronormative and somewhat old fashioned with respect to gender roles. So you watch DS9 and Sisko is calling Dax "old man" and it's supposed to be a heartwarming connection between them which I feel but I watch this and think, "Does a trans viewer see that and consider that a form of deadnaming?" I don't think the show intends it that way at all, but it's different now and you have to be sensitive to those differences in a way shows, even from ten years ago weren't.

Just piggybacking off this as another trans/gq individual, I've never thought of "old man" as a deadnaming thing, just something that really showed how close the two of them were in a shorthand fashion. Jadzia was never shy about asserting herself if she thought she was being disrespected or could correct someone (see again, "kurzon!" "it's jadzia" "jadzia!"), but not once does she do anything but bust Sisko's balls about what's clearly a longtime nickname between them, and I feel like her response to it just meant "Yeah, he's showing nothing has changed between them, and she's fine with that". But also... loving anything from the 90s is wild about gender and I would take 100 Star Treks swinging and whiffing in that period over a lot of media in the same era.

I'm going somewhere with this next bit, I promise.

There's a podcast called Gayest Episode Ever that covers 'the queer episodes' of sitcoms, and a lot of what they do at the start of every episode is go "this was the time it came out in, this is where the show ranked in the ratings, this was what aired near it" and give you a context for what anything looked like around it. Sometimes this serves to point out "yeah, they were aiming for a positive message but they didn't know they didn't know", sometimes it's "Holy poo poo, they did WHAT in the 2000s?", but there are a lot of weird little foibles it's pointed out over time about trans people and gender identity especially in media. A recent episode touched on a (first season!) Two and a Half Men episode about a trans male character, and they made a comment that in all of their research, this was the second sitcom they'd ever seen touch on one, the first episode doing such was in the 80s, and... that was it. That was all they had for representation in the realm of TV comedy, which tends to be a lot more broad and far-reaching than any dramas or prestige shows might carry a message.

Star Trek tried and did pretty okay for the time it was on, but that message basically only went to a specific segment of the population, and arguably, in the most popular era Trek ever had in terms of viewership. Then I think about how running beside it you had things like no less than two sitcoms doing "my best friend from out of town came back and they're a HOT GIIIIIIRL? WHAAAAAAAAA?" episodes that I know of, or that a decade later, two other shows which I still like would take attempts to do a "positive" trans character or episode and still gently caress it up, or... So yeah, Dax is a bit of a flop as a 1:1 trans allegory, but she's by no means a shameful attempt, and I think anyone trying to poo poo on the character for "doing it wrong" would make me madder than the character existing. I hate that poo poo. I didn't start transition for a large part of my life because so much of the narrative around being trans in media was that you had to be a specific kind of miserable and hate how you looked and and and... and I was just like... functionally numb. More rep, different rep, I'm all for that poo poo. Some trans folks would give just as good as they get with ribbing, some want nothing more than to be stealth and let nobody ever know, and all sorts of poo poo in between.

I think I lost the plot somewhere in the middle of writing this but I hope to christ it came off as useful to answer your questions?