Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This thread's fascination with Tuvix is fuckin weird. This is Star Trek where the needs of the many (2) outweigh the needs of the one. He was a transporter abomination created by accident and keeping him alive while a cure was available was the equivalent of murdering Tuvok and Neelix. Good riddance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Bloop posted:

They were already dead

Murdering him and Spock sacrificing himself for his loved ones (after shoving his katra into Bones) are not the same thing

Well by the end of the episode they weren't dead so I dunno what to tell ya.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The point of "needs of the many..." was that Spock was heroic for volunteering his life for the good of others. It would've been quite a different movie if Bones had forced Spock into the irradiated chamber at phaser-point.

If "Tuvix" had ended with Tuvix allowing himself to be separated, making the sacrifice like Spock did, it would've been totally forgettable. What makes it compelling is the question of whether Janeway has the right to force Tuvix to make such an immense sacrifice.

Well Tuvix as a character sucked so I didn't find it all that compelling. But I guess that's Voyager for you.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Civilized Fishbot posted:

You don't even like the scene at the end, when he's pleading for someone to recognize his right to life? "Doesn't anyone see that this is wrong!?!" I thought it was very well-acted.

It honestly just fell really flat for me, well acted or not, because most of the episode is spent with him (intentions be damned) creeping the gently caress out of his fellow crewmates. If he had been integrating more successfully and there was a more significant crew presence standing behind him and demanding at least a trial or a hearing I think it might have worked better.

Also this is completely superficial and totally on me but the makeup design was so hideous that I was actually on board with having Neelix back at the end. :barf:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They kinda tried the same thing in “Similitude” on Enterprise where Phlox quick-grows a clone of Trip to harvest his organs to save the real Trip and the clone starts hanging with the crew and forming real attachments and questioning why he has to die. But then Archer decides he has to die anyway because they’re on a mission and he’s a Hard Man making Hard Decisions. And, just like Tuvix, the episode accidentally reinforces the doomed character’s argument that uh yeah this is loving monstrous and wrong and the captain is the unambiguous villain of the story.

And generally I think that episode works a lot better because it was hosed up from the beginning and something that Phlox and Archer put in motion, not some whacky equipment malfunction accident. It also works better imo because they weren't going to kill off two other crew members to keep fake Trip alive, so there actually was a bit of tension in the outcome. (For instance NuTrip gets right to life, Phlox develops method to slow his development to normal human speed and he takes over, not unlike the things that happened to Harry Kim or Chief O'Brien).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The worst part about killing Trip was how contrived that whole thing was. "Oh man, we gotta help Shran, he fell in with some bad folks and now bad people have his daughter that we just found out existed!"
"Ah good, mission successful, is there any chance of this coming back to bite us?"
"Nope, their ship is super slow and terrible!"

And then Trip explodes himself and 3 mooks to protect the Captain. The least they could have done if they needed to kill off a crewman was to at least provide follow-up to an existing plot thread from 4 years of show, not just whip up some wild bullshit like Shran's secret daughter.

I know nuTrek gets a lot of poo poo for upping the stakes too much but the stakes for the finale of the show could stand to be a little higher.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Humerus posted:

Yeah they could have had a plot about a terrorist organization attempting to keep Earth from forming an alliance with other planets, obviously hinting at the beginnings of the Federation as we know it will be eventually. It could show how far relations between Earth, Vulcan, and Andor had come since the beginning of the show.

Would have been a great idea for a series finale but oh well, guess something like that would have been too ambitious.

:hmmyes:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

and then geordi's mom's death is treated as a "bro you gotta move on. starships dont just have really weird poo poo happen to them"

TBF they are supportive at first and only get to that point once pretty much every reasonable alternative has been ruled out and Geordi's very clearly grasping at straws.

e: They are also trying to protect him from an unstable new technology which could very well kill him.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Powered Descent posted:

Aren't they the exact same uniforms but without the puffy collar on the undershirt?

e: Yeah, I think so.

I really hate how they look without the collar and I'm bummed they took the production mistake that resulted in the first appearance of it and ran with it on subsequent appearances.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

bull3964 posted:

Uh...

Bruce Maddox, Hugh, Icheb... and well...Picard and Data

Along with tons of borg being spaced. Picard kinda has a massive body count.

Pretty sure they were talking about the TNG episode.

Powered Descent posted:

Wait, I thought we were talking about The Loss. (There are still plenty of people working their way through TNG for the first time.)

To be clear, I would not recommend watching Picard or Disco.

efb but also I fixed it for you

not really I actually liked Disco and I have hopes that Picard will get better in Season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Murdock's crazy

Actually he's Howling Mad.