Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The promised (by Central Command) land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

To be fair, that's (supposedly) only part of the issue that the prime directive is supposed to avoid. "First contact can severely gently caress up less technologically advanced civilizations" is not actually a bad conceptual starting point.

See Pakleds and Kazon, those were both contacted before getting anywhere near warp.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Sash! posted:

Or the robots embark on a genocide unmatched in human history, as their grim logic determines that they must purge all hereditary disease

But then you're just doing generic murder robots, which Orville did pretty well if we're talking almost Trek.

Asimov chat: the thing about writing stories about the three laws of robotics is that it gets pretty dull if it's just stories about robots not harming anyone, so you gotta find some way to inject drama into the narrative.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

roomtone posted:

the reason why the cardassians are better than the romulans or most other antagonists: they just keep casting rock solid actors in episodic roles where they get a lot of good material to work with, usually at least one speech, and then they bring them back because there were so good and voila, you have the cardassians

I was about to post something about the Cardassians being a mid tier race, but with some absolutely amazing characters (Garak may be the best Trek character overall). But then i got annoyed at my phone not being able to spell Cardassians with a C and also they did flesh out the actual culture enough to not just be evil Nazis, but also very keen on family and weird literature.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Boxturret posted:

I just don't understand the idea of one fictional story making another fictional story not exist anymore.

If you a have a big story that fits together, you can't have contradictory versions of the same events. So if suddenly the clone wars are about cloning grunt soldiers, all your previous alluding to it being about cloning and impersonating high profile targets can't also be true. So some consensus is reached about which one counts, which is the screen version

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Is there any medieval fantasy star trek? still in space but the ship is made of castle bricks and you can still go on top and look around.

Lower Decks has a planet colonized by ren fair types because it has dragons?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Lilith to Lal's Eve

Also looking forward to the Lower Decks opening of the android vault

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

davidspackage posted:

Captain, I believe Lore may have swapped penises with me.

Only one way to find out: Riker!

Well, two, but Tasha is kinda indisposed.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Are there any serious (as in not explicitly comedy or for kids) sci-fi/fantasy that is not terribly written with world ending stakes? The real issue is that everyone is too focused on plot twists and effects and no one cares about characters and stories. The setting is less important, it's about what you do with it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The real crime was bringing Neelix back. Regardless of Tuvok (who could have carried the show if he was utilized better) or Tuvix, having Neelix alive and around should be considered a courtmartialable offence.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

V-Men posted:

Farscape definitely. Right up until the finale movie, it's less "galactic-threatening stakes" and more about how the crew's fighting for their lives because of what's going on around them. Also, Dark Matter I'd say.

Yeah, I meant to add current era shows, most of TNG also fits, along with X Files and a bunch of other "classic" shows.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

No Dignity posted:

You die every time you get in a vehicle, or eat food

That's just because I'm a terrible driver with severe allergies

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

davidspackage posted:

They never showed the massive queue of people outside the slidey doors, all waiting for a table to open up.

"Is Riker done eating his Klingon buffet yet?"
"No"
"Typical."

Nah, Ten Forward is for top brass and suckups. Most regular crew go to Twenty Port where there is plenty of room. (Not actually canon in any way)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The real issue is that he's the only enlisted guy in Starfleet. I choose to believe that during the Cardassian war, Starfleet was short exactly one guy, so they did a random selection and guess who got it?

It's not even like he doesn't have all the qualifications to be an officer, he's in charge of people and he's pretty smart in general, including a lot more abstract thought and nuance than some officers.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The correct phrase is "move zig". Possibly "for great justice".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, while Klingons are the aliens everyone know and love, the Romulans were actually portrayed much more as the primary adversary to the Federation in TNG. They just never really explored it much outside a few episodes in the neutral zone where the objective was to not disrupt the status quo.

On the other hand, it's probably for the best, a proper exploration of the Federation/Romulan relationship would require serialised storytelling to work, and yeah, DS9 did that well but on the whole it would probably have failed.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also the main Klingon guy was black, so maybe they kinda worked backwards from that? I don't really see anything problematic in the TNG Klingon makeup, except maybe the women's clothing being a bit too chainmail bikini.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

zoux posted:

That reminds me, how does the universal translator know when you are intending to speak in a different language when a character goes "My people have a saying" and not translate that. Does the universal translator have a dramatic license detector?

The same way it knows when an English speaker intends to include the listener or not when saying "we're going to 10 forward" to someone who has the inclusive/exclusive distinction. Or how it just inserts where the speaker got his information (personal experience/secondary source/deduction) in case the listener has that in their language.
Also the same way it manages to translate all double entendres in a way that makes sense.

I guess if it really was to work, it would probably just skip the recipient's ears and insert the coded information straight into their brain. Still weird, but at least it doesn't have to invent information that's not part of the message.

Obviously, the real reason is "very well, thank you" because there's only so many stories you can tell where not speaking the same language adds to it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, and while "a federation envoy" would will the same slot as Troi, they only get to work when the ship's security is not compromised.

If there is a civilian from the foreign ministry representing the US government onboard an aircraft carrier, I bet that person has no say on anything besides when setting up the meetings and such after the perimeter is secured for such meetings to take place. And there would be full security detail, and the captain calls the shots if things go sideways and shots get fired.

It's a kinda different scenario in the real world though, since the aircraft carrier can only run into known countries and, essentially, pirates. All the proper diplomatic channels have been set up already and run independently of the military. Starfleet on the other hand routinely runs into new guys with no established channels, so they have to start from scratch with the diplomacy.

I dunno where I'm going with that, other than Starfleet needing someone who can speak on behalf of them on their ships more than an American aircraft carrier.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It does help that DS9 has homosexual subtext from the first episode, and also Jadzia is kinda morally grey in a Star Trek context, insofar as she actually had a characterization.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Speaking of docking, why would you ever actually do that when transporters exist? Hell, unless you need a lot of cargo transported, even shuttles are a better option for transportation.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

worf does mention him (specifically, the clone) a couple times in DS9. i think some other klingons do too but i'm not sure, but either way yeah he doesn't actually show up

I may have read more into it than intended, but I remember it being implied that they essentially just stuck him on a throne and then just kept the exact same political system only with Kaahless* as a symbolic figurehead who is obviously the head of the empire as long as he doesn't actually do anything. I guess it's like the British monarchy, except newly instituted. But also an empire in decay.
It helps that that explanation lets the Klingon empire keep being the same without outright contradicting, walking back or ignoring that episode.

*I'm gonna go ahead and use old Star Wars EU clone naming conventions because they're hilarious

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Forgettable is a pretty good upgrade for Neelix though

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Voyager is comfort food Star Trek. You know what you are getting when you boot up an episode and that's that

It's also extremely bingeable, on account of no overarching plot or character development. You can zone out for half an episode or season and not really miss anything.
I think it's extremely mediocre basically, with some really bad episodes too. And it's a shame, because the premise of the show is good, and honestly a lot of the early alien species had potential, like a lot of the plots, but it's like the writers room just found the worst and blandest angle and went with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The thing about canon is that it basically means "what can I expect other people to think happened in this universe". You can personally not count some bits, but you gotta accept that you're gonna have to explain that in your discussion. Like, if I wanna talk about Jack Crusher as a Jesus analogy (which is not actually too far fetched), and I argue that it was a virgin birth, I'm gonna have to explain that I don't see Wesley as part of the story. Which is kinda fine, I just have to explain that every time.

Same thing for AI stories, but the other way around. If I refer to Spock's long lost twin on Romulus that all AI wrote a story about, I can't expect anyone to know that story without retelling it first. This also explains the different levels of especially Star Wars canon. Movie canon is what you can expect normies to know, book canon is what nerds know.