Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
I've never totally understood the dislike of TNG's 7th season. It may not be as good as the prior one but it has some fine episodes; the Pegasus, Lower Decks, Preemptive Strike, Parallels and All Good Things are all enjoyable. That's a better track record than TOS's 3rd season, maybe even a better ratio of gold to trash than all of Voyager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
The Thaw scared me as a child, I'd call that a successful episode. Besides 11:59 or Fair Haven set the bar far, far lower than either the Thaw or Threshold could ever manage.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
The Star Trek Generations PC game was odd and somewhat fun for a TNG era game. I recall that it had both space combat sections and these first person shooter levels which had a lot of puzzles. The neat thing about it was that you could progress the plot differently from the film. Soren might for instance take shelter with a Romulan fleet rather than with the Klingons. If you played right the Enterprise-D could survive the game.

The Star Trek Insurrection game Hidden Evil however was horrid, basically a poor knock off of Resident Evil. It was supposed to be a direct sequel to the film and had a rather incoherent plot involving the aliens from The Chase hiding a super weapon under the Ba'ku planet.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
The concept of Unimatrix Zero, with a resistance group made up of former borg drones, was actually pretty interesting. Shame they never did much with it.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Chain of Command may be the rarest of two-parters, where the second half is much better than the first.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007

Marshal Radisic posted:

I thought they were Belarusians, but I don't believe their faith was ever explicitly named.

They were from Minsk, so you’re right. If I recall there was discussion among the writers when they filmed TNG’s “Family” about making them Jewish but they ultimately didn’t do it. I’ve always thought it was kind of sad that despite TOS having two Jewish lead actors there has never been a Jewish character in the entire franchise. Worf as a Klingon Jew would have been quite cool.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Kira’s fine but they really needed to give more sense of Bajoran life beyond her. It might have helped if we actually saw the planet at all, they only visited a handful of times and the show never really established any locations. A Bajor set where the the characters regularly visited would probably have been more useful to the show than a 1950s lounge.

It also would have been good if more of the minor characters had been Bajoran, partiularly considering how many Cardassians we saw. They perhaps missed an opportunity by not making Kasidy Yates Bajoran.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
I’m still baffled at who thought a romance between Chakotay and Seven made any sense as a way to end the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
I feel like pretty much all of Peter David’s New Frontier series might qualify as among the most insane Trek novels. It’s new ship and mostly new cast. The captain is a rugged rebel leader from a backwater planet, that joined Starfleet, became disillusioned after leading a mutiny, was recruited by Starfleet intelligence, and he’s like 35ish. At one point the book has a flashback that explains in great detail how he lost his virginity to a sexy older widow because his species require their leaders to sire children on the wives of deceased soldiers.

I loved those books when I was 9 or so, thought the captain was a huge badass.