Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Paradoxish posted:

I unironically love the Nova class and I love this size of ship. Another one of Voyager's huge misses on potential was the idea that the Intrepid class never felt as small as it was supposed to be, and it still ended up with TNG's ship of endless hallways and infinite expendable crew effect.

Someone pointed out on the one-nacelle Enterprise-like ship that the crew complement was 200, with 20 officers. Meanwhile if you look at Voyager's crew, there were roughly 170 people and like 50 different lieutenants alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

"The accumulated filth of all their treks and explorers will foam up around their waists and all the yeoman and ambassadors will look up and shout "Save us!" and I'll look down and whisper "No."

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

bull3964 posted:

The kid later grew up to invent the instrument that makes TMP’s score so iconic.

I thought this was a joke I wasn't getting, but

"As an LA studio session musician and electronic music composer, working under the name "Craig Huxley", he created the "Blaster Beam ", a massive stringed instrument responsible for the weird tonalities of V'ger bass blasts in Jerry Goldsmith's score for Star Trek: The Motion Picture, heard in the beginning of the film during the Klingon sequence. He also created the synthesizer programming for the Project Genesis sequence in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. "After I created this music, I expanded it and included it on an album, Genesis Project, along with my version of the TV series theme," explained Huxley."

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Another problem I don't see pointed out often is that the engineering hall is uggo without the saucer. It looks terrible.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

zoux posted:

It is really funny how much of a huge deal it was that the D could separate and they only every did it four times. How many s1 scripts had saucer separation sequences before the accountants were like "knock it off"

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is this the new TNG S8 replacement

i hope not 'cause that looks like a madlibs generator.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
EMH Andy Dick getting his entire crew addicted to The Game

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

nine-gear crow posted:

They went out of their way to establish that she had no social life, romantic prospects, or close family members, so she was probably going to die a couple decades later having made basically no meaningful impact on the world.

I watched Star Trek IV with a friend who hadn't seen it before and I decided to look up the Beta canon for fun.

All rough copy paste and edits...

"After being transported to 2286, Gillian became the inaugural patient of the Federation Department of Temporal Investigations' Temporal Displacement Division."

"In late 2286, Taylor went with Kirk on a boat trip for a month while examining dolphins, and witnessed the birth of the whales' baby Harpo. Prior to the trip, she spoke with his crew about his many missions and how he was a "spectacular kisser."

"In 2310, she headed an oceanographic study aboard the drift station Madrigal on the planet Pacifica. On her team was Harpo, the son of George and Gracie. Harpo made first contact with an underwater colonial civilization hiding on the ocean floor."

And then the Mirror Universe Whales

"In the mirror universe, the two whales brought back by the crew of the ISS Enterprise interacted with the alien probe and were transformed into huge armored leviathans who then traversed the tsunami-swept oceans, destroying entire coastal cities."

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The "one ship near Sol" thing always bugged me too, but considering its post Klingon de-escalation, I suppose its not unreasonable that the Enterprise B would be the only ship nearby capable of doing a rescue. I'd imagine there's more ships, but they might be impulse only or simply not suited to evacuate the whole transport.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Hollismason posted:

LMAO at S3E7 Civil Defense and Dukat showing up then immediately eating poo poo when he tries to beam off and then him and Garak just sniping at each other through the whole episode.

Sometimes an episode isn't the BEST episode of Trek, but it's also clearly the best episode, yknow what I mean?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
In DS9, The Search, Part 2, is there a reason that O'Brien's face seems locked up on the right hand side? During the runabout/bomb the wormhole scene, he's talking very forcefully out of the side of his mouth. He was in a fight earlier in the episode, but doesn't have any visible injuries on screen so I wasn't sure if he was just selling the fight or something happened IRL with Meaney.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Prurient Squid posted:

Someone needs to create a DS9 fangame where Quark's bar is the hubworld.

Gul Dukat in the Temple with the Pah'Wraith Energy

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Looks like DS9 had 4 video games.

1995 SNES - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine_%E2%80%93_Crossroads_of_Time

quote:

The player controls a member of Deep Space Nine's crew, mostly Captain Benjamin Sisko, but also Doctor Julian Bashir, Major Kira Nerys and Odo. Most of the game's levels are cinematic platformers; one is a horizontal-scrolling shooter. Platform levels are of two types: 'adventure' levels and 'action' levels. In 'adventure' levels, the player character moves around Deep Space Nine, talking with NPCs and ultimately reaching a certain point in the plot. In 'action' levels, the player wanders the level in the cinematic platformer style, climbing ledges, fighting enemies with a phaser, and finding and using items, with the ultimate goal of fulfilling a certain mission, sometimes within a time limit.

1996 DOS/Mac - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine:_Harbinger
Includes voice from Avery Brooks

quote:

The player character, Envoy Bannick, is on special assignment to a newly discovered race in the Gamma Quadrant. On the return trip through the wormhole, Bannick is attacked by some sort of alien drones and, despite assistance by Deep Space Nine, crashes into its docking ring while on emergency approach.

Once Bannick arrives on the station, he discovers most of it has been abandoned except for senior staff due to a plasma storm in the vicinity. The Defiant is missing and on evacuation duty as well, leaving only two runabouts and an ambassadorial ship from the alien race Bannick was negotiating with docked at the station.

2000 Windows/Mac - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine:_The_Fallen

quote:

The player can choose to play through the entire game as either Captain Benjamin Sisko, Major Kira Nerys or Lt. Commander Worf.
The game begins with a cutscene set during the final days of the Cardassian occupation of Bajor. A Cardassian scientist called Terrell (voiced by Nancy Linari) has discovered one of the red Orbs and is studying it in a secret research facility on Terok Nor, a space station orbiting Bajor, with the intention of harnessing its power as a weapon for the Cardassian Union. However, there is an accident and her Cardassian guards are killed. Soon thereafter, the Cardassians seal the room and abandon the station, handing it over to the Federation.

Six years later, the USS Defiant receives a distress call from a Bajoran science vessel which has been recently attacked, although there are no ships in the vicinity.

2001 Windows - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Deep_Space_Nine:_Dominion_Wars

quote:

Gameplay is a mix between real-time tactics and space combat simulation. The game allows simultaneous control of up to six different ships from any of the four main combatant powers in the Dominion War - the Federation, the Klingons, the Cardassians and the Dominion. Missions include both primary and secondary objectives that allow a multitude of solutions for completion. To this end, before most missions, player may choose their ships, captains and accessories from a range of available personnel and ship classes.

Each [Fed] mission is introduced by Admiral Ross (voiced by Barry Jenner).
Each [Dominion] mission is introduced by either Gul Dukat (Marc Alaimo) or Weyoun (Jeffrey Combs).[b]

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Not strictly a game OR DS9 but AfterDark had a great set of Star Trek screensavers back when those were used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_Ip8HtYowA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buRo9bOsU-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbOfHoGfLFQ

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I've always heard great things about Klingon Academy, it's wild that no one mentioned its an Undiscovered Country prequel

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He also collaborated with the Cardassians, how does this keep happening???

I'm not calling this a defense, but Odo was a weird alien baby shot into space to explore/get bullied in advanced so the founders wouldn't have to. The show seems to want to argue that his people are genetically disposed towards order/fascism (whether they're just that way or reprogrammed themselves, given that they made/modiifed the Vorta and Jem'Hadar) And then while he's out in the wide open, before he even develops a sense of self, he's shot through a wormhole in some distant part of the universe full of strange alien lifeforms (help me listen please) and its a bunch of OTHER fascists in the process of doing a huge brutal occupation, the kid was hosed to begin with.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

zoux posted:

the one where Chakotay decks that guy.

I don't have a ton to put behind this, but that bit drives me nuts. The Maquis were former Federation citizens or otherwise neutral colonists with some semblence of community and organization. Then Chakotay's like "Want to handle it like in the Maquis?" and decks the guy, I do'nt know Chakotay, I have trouble believing that's how the Maquis handled it. Like some sort of stereotypical street gang fight or orks fighting to see who da biggest and da baddest is?

If I were Tuvok, I would have simply beaten up every Maquis officer above me in hand to hand combat and then given the order to surrender.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Ezri was worth it for that scene alone.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Biggs and Visitors' expressions are doing so much work in that scene, it's one of the best moments of the series. It's like Damar sees Kira for the first time, that immediate connection of what the Cardassians did to the Bajorans during the occupation, but that quick recognition that despite all of that, Kira is still here helping.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

zoux posted:

Name a better three episode sequence than Way of the Warrior 1&2 into the visitor.

not a "WELL ACTUALLY"

Best of Both Worlds 1 & 2, Family

Behind the Lines, Favor the Bold, Sacrifice of Angels

Personal appreciation: Treachery Faith and the Great River, Once More Unto the Breach, The Siege of AR-558

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
WOW I am very tempted by those two Defiant and Voyager concept models, I always loved how they looked.

I'm probably going to spring for that USS Nog too, thank you for that one cool thing Discovery.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The Titan and Cerritos are both sold out, maybe a good sign for Lower Decks?

Also the Orville is on the page, but also sold out, drat.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joUPm_B7X_A

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I rather like that a lot.

That's some wild timing you got.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

As cool as that teaser video is (I'm not watching PIC so I don't have an idea what it's referencing beyond Generations), I have really mixed feelings about deepfaking actors into movies. This seems to be done more respectfully than Carrie Fisher in Rogue One, though.

I liked it, it felt respectful enough to me. They didn't try to superimpose a bad voiceover or dumb cheesy lines. Roddenberry Archive isn't some megacorp making billions.

Leia was a mixed bag for me. Cheesy rear end obvious "Hope" line but it was close enough to her death that it felt like they could be doing it as a tribute/memorial.

But then again, same movie, bringing back Cushing as Tarkin for a cameo after he's been dead 25 years felt ghoulish.

Edit: jeez, i must have my memory backwards about when Fisher died. still more weird than transgressive at that point though.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Muppets are real

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm gonna buck here and say Spock should be played by the non-Muppet actor.

It was the 80s, you could probably get Leonard Nimoy to do it

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah, if it was just body horror caused by transwarp something or other it'd be a much better episode.

Honestly, if you massage the script just a little bit in key places it'd probably be considered a pretty drat good one.

Paris should have gotten Strange Energies powers like Gary Mitchell.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The new Master Replicas collection just opened a bit ago. Picked me up the Titan from Lower Decks but they also have a few other cool items like The Cage Enterprise, K7, and the original Stargazer. They also had the very early enterprise with the circular engines but it's already sold out

masterreplicas.com/en-us

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

MikeJF posted:

I like it when Beverly gets something to do because she often becomes a bit of an unstoppable force. If she gets it into her head she needs to do something, she'll go for it, drat the torpedoes. She's extremely persistent. And she's the character that always has absolutely zero truck with any 'oh maybe we need to do something slightly morally grey here'. She knows what's right and what's wrong and she'll tell you.

It's really a missed opportunity that they didn't make more use of her with those traits, they're stuff you could've very easily built more episodes around.

She also very strongly believes in that Ferengi scientist and their work, to the point that in Descent, later that season, she even has the crew user the shielding and flying into the sun mostly untested. She's wild.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

If only they remembered that in Picard.

I do like the moment where she takes over tactical and is just like "You learn a lot in 20 years" another Bev thing where she's like "well if I'm gonna learn something I'm gonna be good at it"

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The DS9 "season 8" books were fairly good up up through Unity, then they did 3 years of short stories and I gave up following it. I wouldn't want it as an official season but it was fun for what it was.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I've already come to the conclusion that Voyager wasn't nearly as bad as people tend to think and Picard/Discovery have only bolstered its position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Tighclops posted:

inside of a decade people are gonna be rendering whatever episodes of whatever they like anyway they like and canon as we know it will crumple into a little dried out turd like the caretaker

Godspeed, the sooner the better.