Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kibbles n Shits posted:

The transporter was all "welp I guess they're kids now? I'll just shrink these clothes down a bit, no problem here beep boop. Nope nothing unusual about this".

OK I'm on board with this now.

So when the heck does O'Brien leave for DS9? I thought it started with TNG season 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ship in a Bottle ends on an incredibly grim note with Moriarty being locked for eternity inside the 24th Century version of No Man's Sky.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just wanna know how the holodeck can just create a fully sentient being with emotions on the spot, but it takes Soong half his life to create an ~*emotion chip*~

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think part of the reason Geordi is so bad with women, other than being a creepy stalker weirdo, is that if a woman were to actually kiss him she'd get his visor jammed right up into her eyes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If I ever got time to chat with a DS9 writer, I'd ask them if there had been an argument over whether O'Brien and Bashir should have actually hooked up and destroyed his marriage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

But, Vulcans can't be Jewish?

I'd bet there are Jewish Vulcans.

Just like how religion spreads across our planet, you'd think that it could also spread among other species. They'd probably be in the minority, but I'm sure some Vulcans might want to convert. Or any other species or religion for that matter. Buddhist Klingons. Catholic Ferengi. Muslim Betazoids. How about humans that follow the teachings of Kahless? It's a shame the show doesn't present any kind of intermingling of cultures. I guess it's a lot harder to write than "VULCANS = LOGIC"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nessus posted:

You and I both know that the Ferengi would convert to Objectivism or perhaps Scientology.

That's racist.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The thing I hate most about the Enterprise D is how there aren't any restricted areas. The ship is full of civilians and families and kids and any one of them can just wander into engineering whenever they feel like it. Or how about any Klingons or Ferengi or any other number of suspicious characters that they bring on board? Sure, whatever, they get free roam of Starfleet's flagship.

Starfleet security must be the worst loving job.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Good lord the end of "Gambit" is dumb. Everyone is able to instantly not think angry thoughts in the middle of a tense situation. Picard might as well have told them to stop thinking about elephants.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gonz posted:

Happy Thanksgiving, fellow Trek goons.

It's too bad Kurn will never remember this happy moment.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

More like godboat.

What does God need with a boat?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also the way that cloaking devices make ships invisible to the naked eye, as if that's something anyone in space would care about.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

In TOS they call it "the Star Fleet" a lot.

The Army, The Navy, The Air Force, The Coast Guard

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Hey, it worked last time...

I can't really put a finger on why, but I think Quark's outfits work in a way that Neelix's don't.

Like, he's supposed to be a sleazy slimeball. I'd totally buy that that's something a used starship salesman would wear.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Duckbag posted:

(including that weird animated transition where the nagus blows beetle snuff at the camera)

I had to watch that multiple times to make sure it was real and I wasn't hallucinating.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 12, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Oh god I hate that episode. It's just painful in every single way. Sub Rosa is spookaly good bad.

So those long vests Klingons wear, what do you think they keep in the pockets? My guess, sunflower seeds. Also O'brien's Altair Sandwich looks great. I imagine its on a sour dough roll.

Sunflower seeds are without honor. Pistachios are a true warrior's snack.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OK Admiral Locke, I'm with you for the most part, but what the hell is the point of a cloaking device that lets a ship pass through normal matter? What possible advantage could that give anyone?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

*in an increasingly panicking Russian voice* Sub Rosa... Sub Rosa... Oh no! Captain, we have to get out of here!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think I'd watch an entire show based on The Lower Decks.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

tngseason7.png

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Yes, everyone tried to tell me that multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars" was not actually multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars". Given that it's multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars", the outcome was hardly in doubt.

I can be persuaded (say, from a mock thread there teaching me that a website's community is gross), but surely you don't expect me to believe that multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars" is more than multiple hours of saying "Not My Star Wars".

I don't think you understand how an actual argument works.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

While watching through TNG I tried not to let the science get in the way of enjoying the show. I'll make a few jokes about how silly something is, but it doesn't have to be 100% realistic to be entertaining.

But Genesis is inexcusably bad. Holy poo poo. This episode is worse than Sub Rosa for me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

WickedHate posted:

He's a role model.

I'm sure he is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

empty sea posted:

I'm watching DS9 in order and holy poo poo I forgot how creepy Bashir was in the beginning. If I were Dax I'd be screaming for security every five minutes. You just know he's got cameras in her quarters, just watching her pee..

Well yeah except Dax literally just got done living inside a host who was ten times the womanizer Bashir is. Maybe Jadzia would be creeped out, but Jadzia Dax thinks it's hilarious.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 9, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Starfleet Academy obviously has a very broad core curriculum, which is certainly true for the three US military academies. I was an astronautical engineering major but I had to take classes on history, psychology, creative writing, public speaking, and philosophy, to name a few. The saying was "we're so well rounded that we're pointless".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Next Gen rewatch: it is really hard to take bad guy smuggler pirates seriously when they look like an opener for Def Leppard

I will give you season 1/2 poo poo because that was the 80s, but season 7 was 1993 and you obviously just had a Bowie wig lying around in the back of Paramount's prop closet.

A warwilf?

This is absolutely fascinating.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mossyfisk posted:

For a worryingly long time I just assumed that Siddig was in Galactica.

:same:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Computer, make a bed capable of raping Data.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Star Trek JAG: Telepathic Victims Unit would also be a cool show.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They're probably really uncomfortable. They look more like dress uniforms than for everyday use.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ensign Zed's dead, baby.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Quentin Tarantino presents

Replicator Dogs

please specify the number and breed

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Bloop posted:

The whole universe is just Beverly

Roadie posted:

Fixed that for you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

marktheando posted:

Ah of course. The holodeck image analysis scene was really cool.

That scene still creeps the gently caress out of me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Tom hosed a spaceship and a salamander

At the same time?!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Railing Kill posted:

Watching DS9's "Civil Defense." It's... funnier than I remember. The situations in and of themselves aren't funny, but the timing and pace of things is just great.

:godwinning: Remain where you are and surrender to Cardassian authorities.
:v: Hm. The door is locked.
:j: I'll shoot out the panel. *pew pew*
:godwinning: SECURITY LEVEL THREE ACTIVATED. Now I'mma gas everyone.
:j: ....Tits.

Repeat for 44 minutes. I love it.

Yeah, the episode is basically the same format as a sitcom, but with the lives of hundreds of people at stake.

I actually laughed out loud at Garak's "I've made a huge mistake" look.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Like, there are no Ferengi aboard the Ent-D. So if an attack by Ferengi is detected, the replicators could all automatically create phasers that target Ferengi lifesigns.

That sounds like a really bad idea though, for the same reason that booby trapping your house is insanely illegal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I miss old matte backgrounds like this.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You know, if this had been set in our modern day of 2018, Spock wouldn't have had to cover his ears.

"Ah, you've noticed my friends ears. He is Chi-"

"OH MY GOD HE'S A HALF-ELF LIKE ELROND!!!"

"Him? He's harmless. Back in the 20s he was part of the BLT movement. I think he smoked a few too many tide pots."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nice flip phone grandpa.