Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm going through TNG for the first time, I saw episodes here and there on cable growing up but generally I was a Star Wars kid.

My main feeling about the first two seasons was that it was actually one of the more absurd shows I think I've ever seen. And I don't mean that in a bad way, just in the sense that like, you don't typically see shows go for the "everyone is infected with a spore that makes them horny for each other." in like the first 3 episodes of the very first season. Usually you'd expect a show to find it's footing first and establish these characters before having them going on Sherlock Holmes adventures or a trip to the hedonist sex planet. I admire that they just said gently caress it and jumped in with both feet.

I was also pretty dumbstruck by the climax of the season 1 episode Conspiracy where Picard and Riker melt that alien dude and his head explodes and then the alien thing crawls out of the scraps of his ribcage. What? Did people flip out when they saw that air in 1988?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh cool I just ran into a neat little reference that I wouldn't have noticed had I not been watching TNG right now. In Wrath of Khan, McCoy brings Kirk a bottle of Romulan Ale and they comment that it's actually illegal and McCoy had smuggled it in or something like that.

As it happens I'd just recently watched an early season 3 episode of TNG where a Romulan defector asks if the Enterprise can synthesize some Romulan Ale and they tell him it can't because it has to have a sample to work off of. So I guess McCoy's Romulan Ale was really a pretty rare special treat due to humans and Romulans having such little contact after the war.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea sorry for bringing up this stuff that for hardcore fans is probably old hat, I'm delving into Star Trek in a real way for the first time so a lot of it is new to me. Of course I'd seen a lot of the iconic scenes and I'd seen a handful of episodes from probably every Trek series but that's not the same as methodically going through it all and experiencing the entire context.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alright well be careful what you wish for because I'm knocking out like 2-3 episodes of TNG a night right now.

My most recent observation was that I just reached the point where Riker gets a bit.....thick I guess would be the best word for it. His uniform is working extremely hard to keep him contained.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

jeeves posted:

(I also always laff at how Total Recall was one of the last big films to have screens everywhere before flatscreens/LCDs. Really check out the loving volume of those screens especially on the subways or peoples desks!)

I think my favorite treatment of that whole issue is Brazil(1985), where modernization has led to ever smaller sized screens....but nobody can really even see the screens because they're so small so they all use very large magnifying glasses to watch them, completely defeating the purpose of having the smaller screen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat I got a coincidental emotional gut punch when I just so happened to start Season 4 of TNG a few days before watching Generations(which just got a new UHD release). Ended up watching the episode that introduces Picard's brother and the winery only about a day before I watched Generations where he has that pretty devastating scene with Troi after he gets the news about his brother's death. That was an amazing scene both with Stewarts performance and also the writing was outstanding.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's just hard to get past how awkwardly the Kirk thing was handled, how they gave him a pretty drat good death that was thematically appropriate to the character, then undid that and gave him a Looney Tunes death instead. It does leave a bad taste in your mouth and probably overwhelms a lot of the films strengths for some people.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Related but unrelated, I watched the new 4k disc of First Contact last night and MAN is it nice to have some decent quality masters of the Trek movies finally. I'm elated that they not only did a bangup job on all the TOS movies, but they continued it through to the TNG movies as well. The blu-rays weren't just inferior to native 4k HDR options, they were bad even by the standards of blu-ray. It makes it all the more frustrating that there's just TWO entries in the entire franchise that are being neglected at this point, let's bring everything into the modern era while we still can.

This is actually a pretty underrated aspect of the whole 4k UHD thing. Often people don't realize that blu rays weren't created equal, the blu ray era had a ton of stinkers that absolutely were not doing the films justice and in some cases were borderline unwatchable. So there are times where a UHD is about correcting those past mistakes as much as anything else. That's what happened with Predator 4k, it wasn't that the 4k was mind blowing or anything but the old blu ray was complete garbage and so it was nice to at least be able to have a solid looking version that didn't feel like an insult to the film the way the old blu ray was.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

The industry went through a hot moment when they felt it was necessary to quash film grain with DNR and it just hosed over so many early discs by killing detail. Vudu updated their HD copies of the TOS movies to come from the new masters about a month before the first TOS UHD discs came out and I could tell within 2 minutes past the credits or was such a stark upgrade. That's even more damning since I was comparing a streaming copy to the disc and the streaming copy at the same resolution and a fraction of the bitrate stomped the disc.

I think part of the shift in attitude is probably due to the gradual move to a more niche market that we've seen with physical media in the past 10-12 years. So the studios/labels putting out these discs understand that the majority of the people buying them are pretty discerning and they know what a movie from before the digital age is supposed to look like. Like you said, at the beginning of blu ray they were I think still concerned with appealing to people who just don't ever want any film grain at all, they want everything to look totally crisp and clean as if it were shot today using today's equipment. Since then though the majority of those people have fallen out of the physical media game altogether and so you don't really have to cater to them anymore.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just watched Nemesis last night and there was another Romulan Ale reference so I at least appreciated that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just got to Season 5 of TNG and apparently Picard is gonna wear this open jacket thing all the time now? It's weird, I don't like it!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

piratepilates posted:

You come to us on this, the day after cool jacket talk, to decry a cool jacket?

That's pretty funny, I saw some vague references to the costumes on this page so that's why I posted that, but I hadn't read any of the previous page at all. I see someone there agrees with me that Picard's is no good!

Actually if I'm going to be more specific, the jacket itself looks ok but I don't like it for Picard. I just don't like Picard to have that open look with the mundane looking gray shirt showing underneath. I like my Picard buttoned up at all times(unless he's explicitly on leave or on an undercover away mission or whatever).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was already complaining about this stupid looking open jacket style that Picard has going on in Season 5. Now, all of the sudden he's just walking around with the bottom of it zippered but not actually zipped all the way up? Like, the little part that's zippered at the bottom is just hanging there while the rest is open exposing his nondescript gray t shirt. Disgraceful.

He's wearing it kinda like this but with the zipper even a bit lower down.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 10, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Coming up on the home stretch of my TNG journey, I enjoyed this little stretch of Season 6 where Troi gets to be a grizzled Old West bounty hunter and then a Romulan in the span of like three episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Season 2 is definitely where I started to notice that they'd have stretches of two or three episodes in a row that were very good. In Season 1 the good episodes were more the exception, I felt like I had to get through three or four episodes to get one that was good.