Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I enjoy "Star Trek."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I hope the new Star Trek is Good. Both the movie and the show.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

No that was his brother and nephew.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I wonder if the First Contact version of the Warp Test still happened in the Kelvinverse, through time-fuckery. If not, the Borg episode of Enterprise definitely isn't canon in that reality.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

"Extinction" is very bad.

edit:

From Memory-Alpha:

According to Trekweb, LeVar Burton went to the producers and told them he was "ashamed" that he had directed this episode.

Ten years after this episode aired, Brannon Braga called "Extinction" "one of the singularly most embarrassing episodes of Star Trek I've ever been involved with." ("In a Time of War, Part Three", ENT Season 3 Blu-ray special features)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Gnome de plume posted:

The drive section with the large wing-like pylons makes it look like a TOS Klingon warship.

I thought it looked pretty Klingon too. Maybe a Federation ship run by Klingons. And still, nobody will invite Michael Dorn in to #BringBackWorf

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Fuller listing Janeway as his favorite captain, my enthusiasm for the new show has dwindled to almost nothing.

That IS worrying.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Timby posted:

Well, Nimoy's flaws as a director are primarily in that he has no real sense of moving the camera, and his only real compositions are close-ups and two-shots. Beyond that, he didn't have much of a leash on Shatner and basically let him do his own thing. My other knock on him is that he just didn't care about the art and production design. Sure, ILM worked on Star Trek II, but it was under the art direction of Joe Jennings and Michael Minor, who were reporting to Bob Sallin. Nimoy and Bennett just decided to defer to ILM's design department, which is how we got monstrosities like Spacedock and the nonsensical Oberth class.

Behind the scenes, he didn't have much of an issue with anyone on The Search for Spock (he would just get hammer-drunk during shooting breaks), but he and Harve Bennett clashed regularly on the set of The Voyage Home; Nimoy basically felt that after the success of III, he now had the clout to say, "No, gently caress you, Harve, we're doing it my way" -- which is why, for example, Leonard Rosenman was hired to write the score, as he was one of Nimoy's close friends. He basically verbally abused the poo poo out of Bennett throughout the shoot and in post-production, which is why Bennett took a ton of convincing to come back for The Final Frontier, as he was nervous about working with a first-time director again and didn't want a repeat of his experiences with Nimoy. Of course, he later said in an interview that he quickly realized that "Bill was easy to con," which made him feel more at ease about doing the movie.

Edit: Nimoy and Meyer also clashed frequently during the making of The Undiscovered Country.

Is there a good book I can read about all of this? If not, can you expand on Nimoy and Meyer fighting?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Jesus. Nimoy was kind of a dick.

A few years ago he released a photobook of overweight models. He called in as a guest to KROQ's Kevin and Bean show (big mistake) and one of the hosts snuck in a question about wide-angle lenses. (cuz the ladies be fat).

Nimoy's voice went from calm to WhatTheFuckDidYouSayMotherfucker soooo fast. Now I know.

Is this online somewhere? I need to hear it

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/757713549854707716

That's nifty

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Went to my local Ollie's and got the Q and Time Travel best-of's for $6 total. Good deal.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

wait, the 'Trip is Pregnant' episode of "Enterprise" is the FOURTH episode, AND it has a holodeck? Good God.

I do like "Enterprise" but this is loving ridiculous.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

MorgaineDax posted:

Conversation piece.

I would absolutely hang that in my office with no indication as to what the Hell it's supposed to be.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I just got TOS on blu-ray and haven't even bothered with the remastered ones. I love the old effects, even with their limits.

Also, starting the show with "The Man Trap" and "Charlie X" was a really weird decision.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

They are in order of airdate, not production date.

Oh yeah, I just think it's weird they thought those two were the best ones to air first. They're not that great, and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" is.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm stealing this in 10 months time.

I turned 30 today, and am stealing it in a year, too. That's a great Star Trek joke.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

"The Menagerie" is so loving good.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Data Graham posted:

(((Bajorans)))

lol

unrelated, "The Conscience of the King" is really really good. Does Riley ever pop up again? He was kind of fun in his appearances.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

One friend of mine says DS9 is better, but he'd rather watch Voyager. Which is very strange.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Pakled posted:

At least I've never met anyone who likes ENT the best.

You've never met my father-in-law, I guess.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Set one season in the future and just don't use Romulans for those 13 episodes.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I'm at the end of season one of TOS, and the only BAD one so far has been "The Alternative Factor." The rest are at least decent.

On rewatching "Space Seed," though, I was kind of surprised to find that it's one of the weaker first season episodes, to me at least.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Does anyone know offhand how many episodes of TOS actually had the entire main cast in them? I know Chekov doesn't even show up until season two.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I'm on season two of TOS now, and I hate Chekov. He is The Worst.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, the movies saved his character, but he was introduced to play the young, heart-throbby mop topped Davey Jones type, because someone (Gene?) thought that would help the show appeal to a younger audience. Then they went ahead and gave him that goofy as gently caress accent and a bunch of jokes about being an over-proud Russian. He's fine when he's doing bridge poo poo or getting shot on away missions, but when they have him fawning over some young woman, freaking out over the crisis of the week, or playing pure comic relief, it can be just awful. Half his episodes were in the turd season though, so that probably didn't help.

Yeah, I'm fine with him in the movies, but, Christ, he's worse than Wesley in season two.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I love that "The Trouble with Tribbles" has a disc to itself in the TOS box set. Complete with both sequels. TAS in high-definition, at last.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

He would look pretty obvious with a phaser. Just a glass on Quark's bar with this huge Bajoran pistol stuck to it, nothing to see here!

Somebody draw this comic. I would, if I could draw.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I'm pretty sure that I could out-drink an alien like Scotty did.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Timeless is the only Voyager episode that I remember the name of offhand, so I reckon it's good.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Mister Kingdom posted:

"Doomsday Machine" is on BBCA now. William Windom is determined to out-overact Shatner.

It's great.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

The Doomsday Machine owns. It's over-the-top in a fun way.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

"Spock's Brain" is some silly poo poo.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Did they change Nimoy's make-up in season three? Spock looks a little different from how he looked in the first two.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd rather have the franchise die for 20 years than have it relegated to some lovely CW outing.

Hey now, "Supernatural" was fun for a couple seasons.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

In TOS, how often is it Scotty's job to get the bad guy drunk so that they can get out of danger? I swear it happens at least twice.

Does the Federation compensate him for all of the rare liquor he goes through to do this?

Only once, as far as I can tell. He had better have gotten compensated for his ancient liquor. Using it really got to the poor guy.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I can't make up my mind whether "The Empath" is great or terrible.

Plus, Bones naming her "Gem" while there with Jim is super loving weird.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

McNally posted:

I want to say he tried recycling it a third time, but I can't remember for what movie. I could be wrong.

Robocop 2?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

CPColin posted:

Holy hell, "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" is one big pacing issue. At least we get a "sabotaaaage" out of the deal.

I love the weird zoom-ins on the alerts in that one. That is the episode where that happens, right?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

bull3964 posted:

You noticed the music!

That means you were distracted from the episode, they should have strived for sonic wallpaper!

lol. What a bad and dumb decision sonic wallpaper was. One of the main reasons I love TOS is how nuts the music is.

It's a dumb episode, but I really love how goofy that effect is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I want that chart to include TOS to see how ridiculous it'd look for the 'modern Trek' show's ratings compared to when TOS was on and there were only 3 channels.