Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Bij is good. The Bij is life.

Contribution: let's get groovy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMzlCraHNS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have a feeling that the list of things that Gene did that weren't awful is fewer than the number of fingers I have on one hand.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Instant Sunrise posted:

How many other shows had a letter writing campaign to save a character who hadn't even appeared on the show at the time?

wait what

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

sunday at work posted:

The actor who played the chief engineer in like three episodes of TNG season one started a letter writing campaign with his friends and family to try and get his role made permanent... before any of the episodes he was in had aired.

Weird.

Instead, we got that one lady to play the role in "The Naked Now" and she was never seen again.

And Gene liked Frakes's beard that he grew between seasons one and two and told him to keep it because it made him look more nautical. I'm okay with that decision.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Powered Descent posted:

I forget who it was that pointed out that Roddenberry tended to name his characters in a very particular way -- one or two syllables, often featuring the "K" sound.

Think about it. Pike, Kirk, Spock, Scott, McCoy, Decker. Picard, Riker, Crusher. These are names that sound like they're coming to kick your rear end. Short, to the point, and they all have a very different sound than a name like "Roddenberry".

You have discovered the literary term "aliteration" and this gold star.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think you know what alliteration means.

I sure as poo poo don't and this is why I barely survive literature classes with a C.

Excuse me while I get jettisoned out of an airlock.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The best episode of Star Trek was "Galaxy Quest"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rhyno posted:

DS9 2x15 - the one where they beam down and nothing works because the crazy lady has a jammer or something.

So they solve the problem and get ready to leave and OF COURSE nobody wants to leave because 10 years of primitive life and no medicine or anything is totally worth sticking to. UGH.

Look at this guy who's never heard the term "going native" before.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rhyno posted:

This is like, 45 minutes after yet another person died horribly.

And complaints aside, Odo really is the best Trek character ever.

I know. I thought that episode was pretty bad too.

I just take things like "ugh, why would you want to live there?" a little too personally.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'd have no problem with ST09 if they had left the whole time travel angle out. We don't need Leonard Nimoy appearing in a movie to give his blessing for a new series featuring the original crew. That's what ruined it for me.

Into Darkness pissed me off so much that I started watching the show on Netflix just to see what was so great about the original series in the first place. The only Trek movies I had seen in full before than were First Contact and Nemesis and a handful of episodes of TNG and most of the last season of Voyager.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 12, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Why in the gently caress hasn't some industrious toy company made a Tongo set?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cojawfee posted:

Even Star Trek had woman writers who either used their initials or used a male name because no one could accept that women could write.

That's still a thing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This is your reminder that "The Inner Light" will probably make you bawl your eyes out.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I would watch the hell out of this series, no joke. Although they would probably call it Star Trek: Renegades or something.

:same:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Astroman posted:

Lance Parkin, yes that Lance Parkin...

I still had to look up who that was.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lolwut: http://shop.startrek.com/detail.php?p=1023186

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I totes want a tongo set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

grilldos posted:

I straight up forgot how poo poo season 1 TNG is from nearly every angle until my dad fell sleep on the couch after Chromecasting Netflix and it just kept churning out lovely episodes. Somehow season 1 could be more colorful and yet devoid of all fruitful feeling.

You'll get to the better stuff eventually. And then you'll see "Balance of Terror" and be knocked out of your god drat seat.