Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think the only women I can think of off the top of my head in TOS that weren't portrayed as total bimbos were Edith Keeler from the "City on the Edge of Forever", Number One, and Uhura.

I'd add Amanda, T'Pau, and the Romulan Commander from 'The Enterprise Incident' to that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Gonz posted:

Gary Seven was a dunce and his magic pen was stupid.

Yeah but his cat was hot.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Happy Birthday, Enterprise! :toot: Rollout was forty years ago today:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

remusclaw posted:

From what I have heard, there actually was decent argument for Russia's Buran Space Shuttle on certain grounds, though it obviously didn't get much use due to political upheaval at the time, and was mothballed when the government collapsed.

There's an entire Spaceflight Megathread for this kind of thing, but I have to warn you that the topic of Buran vs. Shuttle always turns into a stupid, stupid slapfight.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Pakled posted:

Memory Alpha is free, though. :smug:

I guarantee you the authors of this new encyclopedia checked stuff on Memory Alpha at least occasionally, and I think it's pretty likely that they leaned on it heavily.

Hell, they probably had a few interns (and/or algorithms) checking the final text of each entry against the Memory Alpha article, just to make sure the wording was different enough.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Zurui posted:

Voyager's shuttlebay can't launch the Delta Flyer.

Even more mysterious: on Voyager, they once mentioned a "Shuttlebay Two". :tinfoil:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Shouldn't we have a rough idea though? There's the Defiant vs Lakota flyover, the Ent-E flyover from First Contact, and the Sacrifice of Angels scenes. Unless they each used a completely different scale?

Pretty much that. As always, more detail than you'd ever want is at EAS: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/defiant-problems.htm

(If he's still blocking SA as the referrer, just copy and paste that address into a new tab.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Astroman posted:

The FASA Star Trek TNG Technical Manual that came out during the first season or so had wildly innacurate, non-canon information (in retrospect, at the time who knew?) but it had some cool ship designs that never appeared elsewhere.

I had that book -- come to think of it I probably still have it in a box somewhere. I remember thinking the ship designs were hideous, though. And as I recall, it had all kinds of wildly inaccurate character things that probably came from pre-production notes, like Troi was from Angel One or something.

But the TOS/Movie era FASA roleplay stuff was awesome. I loved the Ship Recognition Manual -- now THOSE were some pretty ships.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tighclops posted:

I really hope the music for the new show is memorable and includes lots of cool spacey synth noises, I loved that poo poo from TNG's first three seasons.

gently caress it, raise Jerry Goldsmith from the dead

Whatever the music turns out like, let's hope Bryan Fuller writes lyrics for all of it (none of which will ever be used, of course) in order to claim co-author credit and 50% of the royalties. It's what Gene would have wanted.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm having a discussion with a buddy, we can't agree which song is better. To avoid a flaming, I won't reveal my preference.

Mutara Nebula battle theme song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KilBvojsMdw

or the Klingon theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXYjvrzJkl8

They're both awesome but Khan wins this one.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The purpose of the starship is not to get a collection of hardware to a given location; it is to move people from one place to another.

"Men no longer need die in space or on some alien world! Men can live and go on to achieve greater things than fact-finding and dying for galactic space, which is neither ours to give or to take!"

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

This is actually really neat. I just read the whole thing from the beginning. It's a very different take on some classic Trek stuff, and I dig the art style. (Even if the author does subscribe to that silly "the Romulans didn't have warp drive" idea.)

That said, the current storyline is... uh... well, it's weird as all get-out.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Zurui posted:

Star Trek: I hate Star Trek

"Star Trek fans do not actually like Star Trek." --Supermechagodzilla, probably

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Maybe we could decompress the main shuttlebay. Blow ourselves off course.

If we engage the forward tractor beam, we might be able to deflect the lack of a god and keep it from colliding with the thread.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

macnbc posted:

So on the 50th anniversary date last month I decided I was going to start a rewatch of the whole Trek franchise in chronological order. That means starting with Enterprise

Teeeeechnically, if you're going chronologically, you'd want to start with Death Wish, where Quinn takes Voyager to the Big Bang for a minute.

And then I guess All Good Things, where Picard is present for the origin of life on Earth, again thanks to Q fuckery.

Next up I think would be Time's Arrow (19th century), then The City on the Edge of Forever (1930), then Carbon Creek (1950s), then Tomorrow is Yesterday and Assignment: Earth (both 1960s, not sure what order those two would go in.) Then Star Trek IV (1980s), then Future's End (1990s), then 11:59 (2000), then Past Tense (2020s?), then First Contact (2060s?).

And THEN you can get started on Enterprise.

(And that's all off the top of my head and I'm sure I've forgotten a few.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

You have to put the DS9 Ferengi time travel episode in where they go back to 1947.

Good catch, can't believe I forgot about Little Green Men.

Also, I think they did a World War II thing in one of the big chunks of Enterprise I didn't watch, but for all I know that was like a parallel universe or an alien holodeck or something and doesn't count.

Cojawfee posted:

What if someone did a Chronologically Lost but for Star Trek.

And now you've got me wondering. If you took someone totally unfamiliar with Star Trek and showed them the scenes in absolute chronological order, starting with that minute or so of Voyager in the Big Bang, how long would it take them to figure out what the hell is even going on?

I suppose you'd need multiple screens to watch Cause and Effect. And the ending of The Naked Time would have to be played backwards.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Build the tachyon detection grid!

And make the Romulans pay for it!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Geordi, what's that glowing thing?

That's Data. He's not a real person and has no rights, so he has an electronic glow about him in my nerd vision.

"Also, it's perfectly reasonable to be playing with the VISOR-transmitter thingy for the very first time while we're on a rescue mission on a ship that's literally about to blow up."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

I think TNG should be given some credit when Geordi rejected being healed of blindness when Riker got Q powers. Of course, Braga and Berman poo poo all over that in the movies...

I had never watched Reading Rainbow, so I grew up only ever seeing LeVar as Geordi. To this day I think he looks a little weird without the VISOR. Part of his face is missing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Actually, it's about ethics in Federation journalism.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

mossyfisk posted:

Ellison did a fair bit, I don't believe Heinlein was ever involved although I haven't checked.

Roddenberry called up Heinlein to apologize for completely ripping off the Martian flat cat and calling it the tribble. This convinced Heinlein not to sue.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

DirtyRobot posted:

I just got to these episodes in my own binge and was disappointed by the music choice for the intro. Instead of sounding dark, it should have gotten even more hilariously upbeat as it started showing images and clips that were increasingly grim and horrific.

A long time ago, a fan put Faith of the Heart over the Mirror Universe intro. It actually works really well, and syncs up perfectly with the visuals in a lot of places. The show runners may well have originally planned to do exactly this, but chickened out at the last minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qFagHtGrNA

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The Franklin kinda shows how the NX concept could be so much better, though.

Well it would if we could actually SEE it. I'm still miffed that they didn't include a proper "beauty pass" to let us actually see the drat thing...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

There's no suggestion humanity's problems disappear overnight. Troi tells Cochrane that war/poverty/etc are gone within a century, but that's plenty of time for Q's courts and whatnot.

I believe the NX-01 launch is just a couple years after the last holdouts join the United Earth government, and that's like... 2140s? Or I might be thinking of the Earth Alliance in B5. :v:

Colonel Green did nothing wrong.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We'll Always Have Berwyn
The Commanders of Command
Today's Enterprise
Three Hundred and Fifty-First Contact
Data's Day

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

NowonSA posted:

I've been hopping around, but I need to find where they decided that Riker was obsessed with consent. I figure it had to be early on. Riker being called out as having all the sex will never get old though.

I want to say The Vengeance Factor is where he first makes it verbally explicit that boinking has to be between equals, but I might easily be forgetting some earlier example.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Ranahan asserted that Prelude‘s short historical mockumentary style featuring first-person interview made it “especially unique and distinctive” from Star Trek, and allowed the defendants to “add critical commentary and analysis in order to highlight a comparison of concepts in the Star Trek universe to the present-day military industrial complex, thus serving a “completely different purpose than the solely entertainment-focused Plaintiffs’ Works"

:wtc: Yeah, Star Trek has never ever included metaphors or allusions to present-day issues.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Data Graham posted:

It's legit incredible that it ended up being as good as it did with all those cards stacked against it. In 99 out of 100 alternate universes B5 fizzled out unfinished and is remembered only as a bitter joke.

Yeah, but a few of those alternate universes get to talk about how Firefly stayed amazingly awesome for all eight seasons. (Even if Joss Whedon did throw in the occasional really weird episode that nobody quite knows what he was driving at. That's a constant with Joss, across all universes.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Aw man. Ron Glass, the guy who played Shepherd Book on Firefly, has died. :smith:

(And since this is the Star Trek thread, he apparently also guest starred in a Voyager episode I never actually saw.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

WickedHate posted:

There was a script(?) for an AIDs episode that never got made.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Undeveloped_Star_Trek%3A_The_Next_Generation_episodes#.22Blood_and_Fire.22

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Delsaber posted:

I probably farted out my dumb headcanon in the last thread but let's just say that 22nd century records in general and the NX-01's logs in particular are a mess of lost/destroyed/redacted/rewritten information and that Riker's holodeck LARP was mostly full of misleading or outright false history that still hasn't been corrected or declassified two centuries later.

A wizard Section 31 did it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Mister Adequate posted:

Admiral Helena Cain did nothing wrong.

It might be hard to admit, or hard to hear. But I think that we were safer with her than we are without.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Hell, if there was a Maquis-focused miniseries I would expect one of the running narratives to be tension between Starfleet supporters and defectors who see a lot of the Maquis as sorely lacking in organization and coordination, and non-Starfleeters who really resent these know-it-all 'fleet assholes who keep trying to tell everyone what to do.

You could also do plots like that in a show where a Starfleet crew and a Maquis crew were thrown together on the same ship and had to work together to survive.

Oh, wait.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

Who signed off on the character design for Neelix? He's an ugly little rat man with the worst fashion sense in the galaxy, did they want the audience to be constantly repulsed when he was on screen?

Hey, it worked last time...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

It's probably because of the fact that my last arc run of DS9 was ages ago, but why did the Federation keep going through the wormhole once they realized that it pointed into the territory of a dangerous murder faction? The minute you realize you're in someone else's turf and they don't want you there, you say "sorry, I didn't know", you turn around, and you lock the magical door behind you. That way, the Dominion is just a race way out there, you're way out here, and nobody is gonna have an issue with anyone.

The wormhole only led somewhat near Dominion space. Sisko and company only ran across the Dominion after exploring the Gamma Quadrant for, what, a couple of years?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Looking at them, Quark and Neelix both have weird/ugly textures and patterns, but Quark's outfits all have a nice cut that make him look good, despite the crazy patterns- he's almost always got high-waist one-color trousers, a shirt that matches his coat, a big collar like a suit-coat, and usually a long tail in the back or at least some kind of taper from the shoulders to the waist, which makes the clothes look like someone actually tailored them to help make Quark look good. So the cut of the clothes works. The patterns are unusual, but the colors are well coordinated. All of those outfits have one or two main colors and then the others are balanced around them. These outfits are unusual, but they all look like things people would actually wear. Flashy, showy people, like Las Vegas performers, maybe, but that fits Quark.

You would probably love Fashion It So, a blog where they critique the outfits in TNG episodes. At least I find it entertaining, and I don't even know a drat thing about fashion.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Pakled posted:

Pretty sure Wesley didn't, either.

His first girlfriend was a shapeshifter. So even if she stayed in teen-girl form, in the back of his mind, he'd still know he's boning this:

But hey, I don't know, maybe he'd be into that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Also I thought there was no mirror universe TNG because the Terran Empire fell shortly after the classic series due to Spock going soft. In DS9 humans have been enslaved for like a century.

Maybe this is the mirror universe of an alternate timeline. Or an alternate timeline of the mirror universe, which sounds like it'd be a subtly different thing somehow.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone translate this. I know one of you can read Klingon.

That looks nothing like Klingon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

remusclaw posted:

I don't think it has ever really worked like that. The mirror universe is more just an alternate timeline where poo poo got real rough and stayed that way rather than turning around like in the main universe, and the people there reflect that. I would just read it as an alternate universe where poo poo sucks rather than as an actual mirror image. The title isn't literal.

Mirror Spock bears out this reading I think.

I've never seen the mirror universe as an alternate timeline in the usual sense of "one thing happened differently and they diverged from there", like in JJTrek or Yesterday's Enterprise.

There has to be some sort of spooky quasi-mystical connection between the two universes, to keep all the parallels so close. Consider the original Mirror, Mirror episode. If the mirror universe was just a timeline that had diverged (let's say) a few centuries ago, what are the odds that most of the same people would even exist (I guess all of their mirror ancestors had sex at exactly the same time in exactly the same way to get the same sperm/egg combo), let alone that they'd all be together on a nearly-identical ship, in more or less the same crew arrangement, visiting the same planet, with the same mission, on the same day, beaming up at the exact same second? There would have to be all kinds of freakish coincidences going on in both universes to keep things lined up that closely despite all the differences, or else go go gadget butterfly effect.

Yes, by the DS9 mirror episodes, things have diverged a little more, but we still have most of the same people on the same station at the same time. Again, freakish coincidences. I'm telling you, the two universes have some kind of spooky connection.

Or else, you know, it's just a well that the writers can go to when they want to have goofy hammy evil fun, and it isn't really meant to be hard sci-fi for close scrutiny. But come on, what are the odds of THAT?