Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The people who claim that the arrowhead wasn't an Enterprise assignment patch but was for all "starship duty" somehow never seem to remember the uniforms on the Defiant, which all have a different insignia.

The rationalization I've come up with for this whole mess is that the insignia did vary from ship to ship, but they weren't unique -- there was a set of perhaps eight or ten of them that each captain could choose from. So Matt Decker chose the pretzel, Ron Tracey picked the embroidered rectangle, etc. But by far the most popular choice was the arrowhead, so much so that at some point after TOS, Starfleet just adopted that symbol fleet-wide and dropped the others. Boom, all problems solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm a generally sheltered middle-aged cis guy whose exposure to trans folks mostly consists of a Q&A session at my local BDSM club, which had two hosts, one who transitioned in each direction.

I learned a lot at that session, but one impression that I took away is that Trekkies ought to have an easier time with trans issues because we've previously encountered Curzon's transition into Jadzia.

Perhaps I was a little too optimistic.