Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It's a bummer that the mixed race is not a thing in Star Trek and everyone has to be racially pure. :sigh:

Y'all are forgetting that ethnicity and nationality aren't necessarily linked. Honestly, the idea that everyone's mixing and moving around in the Star Trek future is the perfect explanation for actor/writer/character ethnic discrepancies. Like, what if Harry Kim had Korean and American ancestors but grew up in Hong Kong?

Still wouldn't excuse Chakotay and "Tattoo," though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Nessus posted:

Julian didn't seem to care for it, despite the advantages it gave him. He also wasn't asked.

I mean, sure, he produces more Friedman units, but he had no say in the matter. He wasn't crippled; he was just dumb before he got augmented.

e: I don't think he was profoundly mentally impaired. Not smart, perhaps even diagnosably having problems, but Gump-esque.

It sounded like he had a developmental disability, and you'd need to apply genetic therapy early in such cases for it to have a real impact. If Bashir didn't like it, that could easily be the cultural taboo talking. The question here is that, if the Federation has access to technology that can cure developmental disorders, technology that's safe and effective thanks to advanced alien/future technology, why do they let a centuries-old war on one pre-contact planet stop them from making use of it?

Edit: My guess is that it's because of that weird strain of evolutionary determinism that seeped into the writing of every TNG+ series.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Nessus posted:

Have you considered that perhaps grinding brutal forever-war for the sake of genetic improvement is how things are "meant" to be? :smaug:

That can't be true. Humans are destined to turn into lizards that can't breathe an oxygen-rich atmosphere. Just like how that one species on Enterprise was destined to go extinct so the other sapient species on the planet could take their place. Don't you know how evolution works?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cingulate posted:

IIRC "canon" is that humans reached space very late. Vulcans (and therefore, Romulans) and Klingons have been warping around for centuries. See Enterprise.

"Fast" in this case means "short time span between invention of agriculture and warp drive," not "first in the galaxy to travel faster than light." Although I don't think Star Trek has ever really said whether humanity was unusually fast or slow in that regard.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I want a scifi where aliens keep telling humans they are an extremely uniform monoculture poorly equipped to deal with change or new ideas. Soulless minions of orthodoxy.

Warhammer 40k.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

jeeves posted:

I mean if Bajor was all antsy about having a huge Federation outpost tractored in, shouldn't they have had a galaxy class permanently parked in the system AT LEAST?

Well, they did park the Federation's first warship in Bajor once they found out about the Dominion.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

galagazombie posted:

That device has great potential for good when you think about it. Have PTSD? spend a decade in the machine getting treatment. Make a vacation program so you never have to worry about how long you can stay. Catch up on sleep.

Sleep is more of a physical thing, but I'd be up for a program that lets me spend 20 years in the Library of Congress.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Epicurius posted:

The more interesting story is the corruption in the Q continuum police force and how they're taking bribes not to enforce the blue laws.

You'll also notice that the main article segues into describing a prisoner after the first paragraph.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Q presents in the aspect of a person but he is not a person in the sense that Data, Picard, or the horta are, and I don't think he has the same moral responsibilities as a person. If Worf redirected the ship to rendezvous with the Borg and it brought about the death of some of the crew, he would be morally at fault for their deaths. But that's because he has the same existential conditions as the people who died: he was born, he lives a life occupying a specific trajectory in space and time, he will die and cease to exist, and his coming death is always a concern to him. But Q, with his different access to time, knows that these concerns are illusory: a death today and a death 40 years from now are the same.

Potentially Q could give humanity, and all intelligent species, a cure for all ailments, physical, mental, and spiritual. He could save each (or if not each, an untold number) of living creatures from every moment of suffering they were to have experienced. If a person fails to act in ways to reduce and eliminate suffering of his fellow persons, that is immoral. But Q is not morally in the wrong for failing to do so given his very different status as an entity.

This sounds like Christian apologetics.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Nessus posted:

Now I want to re-watch the Q episodes with this idea in mind. (And of course, the Sisko, for all his literary greatness, lacks this moral freight, so Q interrogates him once, gets popped in the mouth, and punches out.)

e: I also think Q is not looking for a Christ figure, which is another reason Sisko's got nothing for him. Picard as I recall is not portrayed as anything other than an exceptional, but not anomalous example of Federation society, vs. Sisko wormhole stuff. (Writing-wise that may not have been anywhere near decided yet at that time, of course.)

I think the difference between Sisko and Picard to Q has less to do with the relative strength of their moral anchors and more to do with how they react to Q's gamesmanship. Like you say, Q creates artificial rules and limits to create games for himself, and Picard's reaction is to accept the terms of the game because he wants to prove the value of humanity (and human morality) to Q. He's a missionary and evangelist who wants to teach the galaxy about the benefits of the Federation, and Q basically promises he'll listen if Picard plays on Q's terms.

Sisko has equally strong morals, but a vastly different approach. Sisko is a guardian, concerned with protecting his family, his station, and his nation but not with converting others to his side. If that happens, all the better, but if the universe leaves the Federation alone he's content. So when Q shows up and starts setting up his games, Sisko's response is to kick over the table. He'll engage with Q on his terms or not at all, because Sisko has nothing to prove to any alien no matter how powerful it is.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Tunicate posted:

But when Q puts you both in a boxing ring with boxing gloves, how is punching him with those boxing gloves 'not engaging on his terms'?

"Picard never hit me!"

He was teasing Sisko about the whole "humanity has evolved" line, and Sisko's response was "well gently caress it, maybe I'll just forget about evolution and punch you."

Which, come to think of it, is a theme DS9 carried throughout its entire run.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

It's also worth mentioning that overpopulation worries date back to at least the 19th century when people thought it was responsible for the mass European migration to America. Bear in mind that there were only 1 billion people on Earth at the time.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Humans understand their memories as stories. Stories are defined by conflict. Suffering is the motivation for conflict.

Even if we as a species find ways to avert starvation, disease, warfare, and religious/cultural terrorism, we will never be free from suffering. Because even if we solve every major problem, our brains are hard-coded to find new reasons to suffer. Hell, we've even got a term for it already: "first-world problems."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Okay but I still think suffering from first world problems is better than starving or being murdered/raped

Well, I'm certainly not arguing that. But suffering is, if anything, a more positive thing for people who have never starved. Understanding your own suffering helps you understand the suffering of others, thereby giving you a reason to help others and to appreciate what you have. So in this context, suffering is good because it encourages empathy for those who need it the most.

I am not the sort of person who says an artist must suffer to produce good art. An artist simply needs to understand suffering well enough to communicate it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Vulcan thought seems deeply flawed. I don't think "logic" or "rationality" can tell you what to do like that

Technically, logic doesn't tell you to do anything.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Windows 98 posted:

So is Roddenberry obsessed with god like beings, and planets that are gardens of eden? Halfway through TOS now and it feels like every other episode. That’s not even including all the TNG episodes that fit that episode type.

The short answer is yes, but then it was also a sign of the times. In the 50s and 60s, a lot of American science fiction was trying to reconcile Christianity with the Atomic Age; science had just given us the means to destroy our planet, so the question arose of whether we should have let things reach that point and what this meant to our collective conscience. The Garden of Eden represents the loss of innocence, so it got brought up a lot.

Confronting godlike beings was more exclusive to Roddenberry, though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah, my point is, I wonder if they're retconning that out and now the TOS Klingons are Discovery-style fusions.

I still say that the DS9 episode Trials and Tribbleations should have just had Dorn in TOS era makeup and nobody says a word.

I dunno, I think they handled it pretty well.

*Everyone looks at TOS Klingons*
*Everyone looks at Dorn*
"We do not talk about it!"
*No further discussion*

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

B5 made the distinction that sonic showers were lame but high rank officers got real showers, since they didn't have infinite resources. When you can replicate water I don't know why you'd bother.

Yeah, I think SF authors originally came up with sonic showers as a way to clean yourself in space when you have limited water to spare and/or you need to clean yourself in microgravity.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

The larger question is what JJverse ships would look like 75+ years past the events of those films.

For some reason I'm envisioning a lot of triangles

We'll have to wait another 10 years or so for the JJ TNG movies if we want to follow the same arc as the originals. Then it'll be whatever looks futuristic to us in the late 2020s.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

I forgot about Odo's little smirk before he pulls out the PADD with all of Worf's failings on it. Only genuine smile he's ever given.

I wouldn't say that. He's usually pretty gleeful whenever he thinks he can finally nail Quark.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

mllaneza posted:

One of my favorite Uhura bits (outside of TAS) is when Sulu gets tapped for an away mission and Kirk tells her to take the conn. So she's a qualified watch stander, which is an important career qualification for a naval officer.

She's the communications officer, making her the fourth ranked officer behind Kirk, Spock, and Scotty.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

The Quark mugs, for context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg8o__6bEEY

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Pakled posted:

It's funny how in all of the "advertising" we see for Quark's, Quark himself is the face of the bar. You'd think, being a businessman, Quark would go with something more marketable like a mascot or a Dabo Girl.

Quark is the face of the bar in his bar, too. He works shifts as the bartender all the time even though he could hire someone else and spend more of his time on money-making schemes. Like he says at one point, he's a people person.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Have they reached the Nazi war criminal episode yet? Because you'd almost have to be willfully ignorant to not get the subtext of that one.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

mycomancy posted:

The point is not plot but execution of said plot in context of the characters and the world you've built. If the only entertainment you consume is absolutely original, then you don't consume any entertainment other than Greek and Roman plays.

Greek and Roman plays are based on Greek myths, which are based on Mediterranean and Indo-European myths, which are...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Their whole omniscience schtick didn't really seem to extend beyond the wormhole by much from what I remember. Otherwise what's the point of sending out orbs to muck about in regular space when you know everything about it.

Or yeah, they already know Keiko gets rekt so they don't care.

They aren't omniscient. They exist outside of time, so they can act on information before the receive it, but they still need to receive that information. If nobody ever tells them about something or they don't see it in the wormhole, they won't ever know about it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Insane Totoro posted:

Wait this is real

Don't worry, their plan was foiled by DIRK PITT.

Publication date is 1990, so that's around when Americans were worried Japan was about to economically take over the world instead of fall into a decade-long funk.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

dont even fink about it posted:

Remember? People still think that now. Hell, I might think that.

Don't even fink about it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Nope, it's because she's The Worst Wife.

It's because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnjjkgIO3Ck

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

He also agreed to take the showrunner job on Enterprise despite being creatively burned out by that point, as we have recently learned

Wasn't hard to deduce from the Enterprise episodes we got, though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

tarlibone posted:

Tom and Janeway Turn Into Space Salamanders

FUTURE Salamanders.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

It would be pretty interesting to really push the "science" part of the "science and exploration vessel" angle. We really do mostly get a cross-cut of the command crew, a medical chief officer, and some engineering, which comes off as military sci-fi. Try a lab-drama Trek with stories focusing on interesting theoretical biology, zoology, chemistry, etc. Make discovering things and the consequences of discovering things central to the point.

That's basically the premise of Voyager.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

I'm going to counter that with a "nah"

Premise. Not the same as "execution."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

The premise was to get home post haste, as I recall. Exploration came about out of needing fuel, coffee, or saving someone who tried to blow up the ship last time.

Partly, but Voyager is a dedicated science vessel for a reason. They rather famously manage to get out of a high percentage of episode conflicts by technobabbling up a new science thing and then conveniently forget about it before the next episode. They also out-science the Borg on several occasions. Then there's the episodes that start out "We should be moving along, but there's this weird astronomical thing here and I just can't resist scanning it."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah. Voyager had a dumb line in late-season episode where the Queen says she used to be a member of such and such species before she was assimilated. I never liked that. Since we're shown in FC the Borg can synthesize flesh, my interpretation was always that they built her from the ground up and grew the flesh that surrounds that robot skull and spinal cord.

Yeah, I always figured the Borg Queen was simply a variant on Locutus: a single drone given a measure of apparent individuality for when communicating with other intelligences is necessary. If Voyager had had a different actress play the Borg Queen for every appearance, even within the same episode, it would have been a very effective way of portraying this.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cythereal posted:

and Dukat's the greasy executive from the Company that has designs on the area.

And/or a Mexican general who ran the area before the USA bought the land and still fondly remembers the time he enslaved the natives to run the local mine. Of course, he then goes on to take over Mexico and ally with the Japanese Empire when they invade through a magic Apache portal that connects Hokkaido and Arizona, so the analogy breaks down after the first couple seasons.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cythereal posted:

A lot of the Trek EU took the assumption that Starfleet Command straight up didn't believe some of Kirk's reports. One mentioned an instructor at Starfleet Academy who liked to punish overly cocky cadets by putting them through a simulation of one of Kirk's more absurd made-up incidents where the cadets had to take the role of Kirk and company.

"Yeah, no, THE Apollo."

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Tighclops posted:

I feel like this is my fault for using words poorly, but what I mean by continuity is stuff where you get Spock's super secret and ultra cool but dramatic and conflicted human half sister we never heard of before as the *~main character~* and oh look now its literally the Enterprise as the hook to keep you interested even though it had nothing at all to do with anything, meanwhile the new version of the thing brings next to nothing new to the table, it's just references. Did you recognize the door label from that brief 30 second promo clip from season 2? it's the same as the label on Spock's quarters from TOS! Don't you feel clever for noticing? AAaaaaaaa

There's having a consistent shared universe and then there's *obvious handjob motions*

I have no issue with serialized storytelling except for the obvious problem of if your plot sucks then you're stuck locked in to dealing with it for however many episodes before you can move on to something else

What you're talking about isn't continuity but retroactive continuity, or retconning.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mountaineer posted:

How easy would it be to swat away an asteroid travelling at faster-than-light speeds?

You don't need to change its trajectory much. Space is big, and a few percentages of a degree at the right moment will make an asteroid completely miss a planet. Failing that, if you crack the asteroid into enough pieces it'll burn up on entry and not hurt a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

X-Men are probably a close second

Fantastic Four.