Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Voyager got even stupider with that whole concept, because somehow Starfleet officers from Wolf 359 not only got assimilated but made it all the way back to the Delta Quadrant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Also it's driven by gamers, so of course it's going to be loud and obnoxious. That said, I can see where they might have a bit of a case, considering how prominently the Enterprise-F was featured in the early trailers for Picard, leading some people to expect that it would play a decent role in the plot of the season, and then it's on screen for 15 seconds and we don't even get to see or hear if it was destroyed or not because of creative cowardice and/or mismanagement.

So I can see why a group of people for whom that was their Enterprise for over a decade now would be upset of it's "mistreatment" by what's otherwise considered canon, doubly so because the Enterprise-G looks like poo poo compared it the F and was made so that one guy could leave his DNA marks all over Trek canon for all time.
I was much more annoyed that they kept teasing the idea that something dumb happened to the E and it was never explained

I've never played STO so I could give two shits about the F

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

At the end of Nemesis, the E was super hosed up but it got repaired

It seems like it would be way more annoying to transfer parts from an older ship to a new one as opposed to just starting from scratch

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Borg are also in Season 2, because a big part of the story is that they steal a Borg Queen from the altered bad timeline to go back into the past, and then she manages to almost assimilate a few people and tries to contact the Borg in the past so that they can assimilate Earth way before the Federation ever existed.

So yes, I was not really thrilled when the big plot they were teasing all season just turned out to be 'The Borg are back'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tighclops posted:

It's been a while but isn't this typically remembered as one of the crappiest episodes of the series?
Yes it's a weird one

I don't think it's too bad, after having rewatched it like a month ago, but it's not a good episode. Part of the problem is that Archer is probably the shittiest he ever gets towards T'Pol in this episode. Like there's no excuse whatsoever for his behavior. Then the Doctor essentially asks him 'Captain, is this because you haven't been able to get your rocks off'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I admire the balls of them to just needlessly kill off a major character

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

How's this for a hot take: Enterprise unis are the best unis from a perspective of "I work on a spaceship". A nice marriage of the Star Trek and NASA aesthetics.
I don’t think that’s a hot take

I think the sets are fine, but the ship design was lazy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Delsaber posted:

The story I always hear is that some suit (Berman?) liked the Akira and wanted to use that as the Enterprise, straight up, no changes, and the actual designers realizing how dumb an idea that was came up with the NX-01 based on the Akira's structure instead

In-universe it can be handwaved pretty easily, the NX begat a design lineage of successor designs, one of which is the Akira. The Walker and Centaur are sorta loosely in the same ballpark too I guess. Picard dropped STO's Alita design in the background somewhere too
They essentially just flipped an Akira upside-down and made it look like a much more primitive design.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Archer was always too much of a dick

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

swickles posted:

I am now picturing a remake of Enterprise but with Sterling Archer as captain.
"Do you want Tribbles? Because this is how you get Tribbles, Cyril!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

- season 1 data seemed a lot more human like than the next few seasons of data
He definitely emotes a lot in Season 1 before someone realized that this kind of flies in the face of his whole deal as he's not supposed to have emotions

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Payndz posted:

In my headcanon, Odo has a padd with a list of the embarrassing failures of every single member of the command staff to hand. Not just as a data file; literally an individual padd he replicated and keeps ready in a drawer for when he needs it.
Bashir
-Loves piss
-Is probably a bottom

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CainFortea posted:

I cooked through to try and find out which actor gave them that sign and I saw that there was one post that was hidden due to offensive content. So I clicked on it to see what it said and it was just the gif of Rom saying workers of the world unite
Extremely offensive

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Speaking of kahless, did he ever come up in any other episodes after he was "resurrected"?
I think he's mentioned but he doesn't physically appear again

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Knormal posted:

I think the Sulu's by far the weakest. Everyone else is a pretty dang good lookalike, then Sulu's just some Asian guy in a wig.

Besides no one's ever going to beat the guy SNL used for Sulu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpPgavT5am4

Whenever you see them use the transporter or replicator, a space wizard did it.
If the comments are correct, the guy who plays Sulu also played Sulu when John Belushi was on the show and they did a Trek parody then

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MillennialVulcan posted:

I've already come to the conclusion that Voyager wasn't nearly as bad as people tend to think and Picard/Discovery have only bolstered its position.
I wouldn't say that necessarily speaks well to Voyager

I rewatched Voyager like a year ago and it was better than I remember, but there are a lot of episodes that are just filler or (especially before season 3) just TNG episodes with the serial number filed off.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arivia posted:

No I'm serious this is my favourite Trek and I'm so glad to be back with my favourites. I missed them all, even Neelix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKTpBN6jKa4

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/thetrekcentral/status/1661388152924168195?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

The next Star Trek I was most excited about was Picard ._.
Yeah I also fell for that

Anyone that grew up with TNG as their first Star Trek got fooled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sash! posted:

I don't think he is playing a character on American Dad. They just recorded things he said.
I tend to agree