Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hey, sometimes Jean-Luc just wants to be comfy.

Picards just wanna have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think the TNG bomber jacket is better than that weird green tunic thing that Kirk sometimes wore.

e: Sisko rocks that vest better than his predecessors.

The green TOS tunic looks alright, with the notable exception of the quasi-belt arrowhead thing that wraps around it.

And Sisko looks great in the vest when he’s got the neck opened. For some reason there’s a handful of episodes where they show him wearing the vest underneath the actual jacket and it just looks awful together and had to be incredibly uncomfortable for Brooks to wear.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Actual Satan posted:

Enterprise J is a cool as hell idea and a kickass design, if you disagree please go gently caress yourself.

Yeah, the new render in that Roddenberry thing looks great. Huge improvement on the original model from Enterprise.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

bull3964 posted:

Counterpoint, split threads are dumb unless you want a show specific one talking episodes week to week. This is all part of the franchise now. Having some conversation about the evolution of the 24th and 25th century Star Trek universe is actually something new and fun to discuss and beats the hell out of the 150th iteration of "EXPERIENCE BIJ" or that old cracking chestnut "You actually die when you are transported."

Counter-counterpoint, the Modern Trek thread still serves a purpose because there’s plenty of folks in this thread who do not give a single poo poo about the new shows and it’s not fair to them to have to sift through posts about them to find other posts about the classic shows.

It’s also not fair to the people who enjoy the new shows to have to hear those other posters complaining about the existence of the new shows. The Modern Trek thread also functions as a live watch thread when new stuff drops.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Hey now, Chakotay (depending on Prodigy) and/or Torres (:shrug:) could still be alive

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Season 1/2 Data is a far more interesting character than what came later. I never understood why they seemed to make a very conscious change to how he was written and performed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
An android clearly having the capability for emotions but not being fully aware of how or when they’ll present themselves just feels like it has so much more story potential than the same android having to be told when someone is joking or being sarcastic for 5 seasons. IMO it also cheapens Data’s entire quest to be human if he gets his emotions instantly from a hardware update versus developing them naturally over time.

But then again, Data as-is is obviously a super popular character so what do I know? :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Odo 100% would have rehearsed that interaction in the weeks before Worf’s transfer just to make absolutely sure he knew the precise inflections and emphases needed to really drive Worf nuts.

The PADD was for Worf’s benefit incase he demanded to be shown the actual list.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah it’s hideous and I’ve always hated it. Especially how it’s just a lazy update of the station concept from Far Beyond the Stars.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

The good thing about no one giving a poo poo about DS9 and its apocryphal lore inside of Modern Trek production central is that we'll never be forced to endure the canonization of its shittiest ship/station designs like Probert's DS9-2, the USS Aventine, and the USS Emmett Till.

Whoa whoa whoa, the Emmett Till/Ibn Majid and the Aventine aren’t even in the same ballpark of hideousness as DS9 II.

The Aventine in particular is a design I actually really like. The emphasis on long curves in an Intrepid-meets-Sovereign way really gives it an almost whale shark profile in certain angles.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Don’t they imply Kahless is leading a couple unseen battles during the Dominion War as well? Or am I thinking of EU novel poo poo?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MikeJF posted:

The reviews I'm seeing are that it's mediocre as a game but decent as a Star Trek story.

So just like pretty much every Telltale game then

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
PC gamers are insane weirdos anyway, I say make them play every game at 5 fps

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I genuinely can’t remember the last time I was this excited for a Star Trek

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

zoux posted:

The most I've ever been excited for an Star Trek is Generations ._.

But Generations is great?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

McSpanky posted:

SNW is a Disco spinoff and therefore super obviously happening in an alternate timeline, and Akiva Goldsman can kiss my rear end.

Everything I don’t like is actually an arbitrarily alternate timeline and therefore

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CainFortea posted:

What exactly is arbitrary about this?

What isn’t arbitrary about “I don’t like [thing], therefore it’s no longer part of official canon”?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CainFortea posted:

So, you don't know what the word arbitrary means. Got it!

quote:

ar·bi·trar·y
/ˈärbəˌtrerē/
adjective
based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.
"his mealtimes were entirely arbitrary"

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CainFortea posted:

Now try to comprehend the words. It's the internet, you got time.

"These two things can't be true at the same time so I pick A" is a reason that is neither random choice nor personal whim.

Respectfully, get absolutely hosed dude.