Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Couple of things I liked in Star Trek Beyond:

The part where Kirk wasn't flirting with every woman he met

Sulu's line, "You kidding me, sir?", which came off significantly more cool than that speech he gave in STID which amounted to "I have weapons and will shoot you with them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Oh, I saw Beyond this weekend. Overall I liked it, definitely the strongest of the last three in my opinion.

Was it just the theater I was at, or was the sequence where Kirk and Chekov fire the thrusters and flip the wrecked saucer a big muddy mess? I couldn't tell what the hell Kirk was supposedly aiming at, and I didn't see how they didn't just wind up splatting on the ground after falling off the saucer.

(Also, when can we stop using spoiler tags to discuss the movie?)

I had the same problem, but I also wondered if it was a problem with the (rubbish) theatre, I thought the projector was too dim and possibly a little out of focus. Or maybe my eyes are going. :shrug:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I really didn't realize how much I've just plain missed having a functioning Star Trek family on the screen, and how the last few movies have not scratched that itch.

I have this problem with popular ensemble films in general these days. A bunch of people just working together without friction is one of the things I like best in movies.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ZShakespeare posted:

Anyone noticed yet that the Discovery design is clearly derived from the abandoned Star Trek Phase II 1977 concept?

Maybe there's still hope for the Enterprise-J design! Which I, alone, like.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, which is odd why they would bring Chris Hemsworth back for the 4th one

And why they would announce this fact just before the third one came out at all, as if trying to pre-empt or deflate the events of that film. "It's okay! Everything goes right back to normal after this one!"

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Well, an argument about past deficiencies doesn't mean we shouldn't ask for better.

This goes for Star Trek's perceived progressiveness as well. Yes, when you scrutinise the track record, it isn't really as great as all that, but that doesn't change popular perception of what Star Trek is all about, or lessen the importance of progressiveness in popular scifi, so Star Trek absolutely should be as progressive as humanly possible, because all eyes are on it and it's in a position to make a difference.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
On the face of it, the holographic communicator thing is actually a really, really good idea because dramatically speaking you can have both actors in the same physical space, acting and reacting off each other, even though technically they're standing on separate ships.

I don't know if they ever got close to using that technique to its full potential though. Or even realising how valuable it was. Depressingly I think that one scene in Nemesis between Picard and Tom Hardy is as close as they ever got to following through. If they ever set a Star Trek beyond the time of Nemesis, it's the one thing I hope they pick up and run with.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Dirty posted:

It's cool that they can share the space and act their asses off, but then I thought that it kind of also dodges the premise a little bit. Once you start treating it as "being there", doesn't it sort of rob these interactions of some of the flavour provided by the setting? The universe seems small if talking to an admiral 100 light years away is the same as talking to your first officer in the chair next to you.

Maybe... But they can have it both ways. They - by which I mean directors - can use a standard screen or the holographic thing whenever it works best for the story. And they can explain that variation away any way they like, too: variations in technological support among species, distance/lack of data for full holographic support, custom, social context, personal preference. It's just another tool in the box. But a good one, I think!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
One of several reasons why the thread has to be rebooted periodically, just so we can bring everybody up to speed again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

skasion posted:

Isn't there a series bible or pitch for TOS, like for TNG?

Star Trek is...