Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Except for Barclay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Which bring me back to Generations and all those people on the inhabited planet in the path of the Nexus that are never shown. Not that it really makes much of a difference with that movie. The 50 years documentary really made me realize just how Spiderman 3 that movie was. We want you to make a Next Gen movie, but it has to have the old crew, but only for about 15 minutes. It has to have a Picard story. It has to have a Data comedy story. We want a villain like Kahn. Ooh we also want the Klingons. Can there be time travel?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Mind you that is the stuff they mentioned on the documentary. You know that they also wanted the Ship destroyed so they could have a new one for the next movie for the sake of toys and such. They also wanted to flesh out Guinen and her story so Whoopie would have something to do. Make sure the holodeck gets in there too.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The transporter exists, at least to my knowledge, only because they hadn't finished a shuttle prop in time for a story where they wanted to get people someplace else..

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

JJ Trek invalidated the need for Starships in the first movie when Scotty invented infinite distance transport.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, I seriously think there are bad Trek video games that look better in action than the redone effects.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Every first season of a ST series is bad with the exception of TOS, which has a good portion of the series' best

First season DS9 isn't bad. It just isn't at its peak yet.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I generally forgive TV Sci Fi for scale issues. Epic on a pre modern HBO TV budget is hard.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's like playing a video game RPG. You just assume this "City" that has 10 buildings and maybe 25 people actually represents something far more appropriate to its title, and that the the people you deal with are the important ones plucked from the unseen millions off screen. On the other hand, it is nice that this isn't always necessary anymore what with modern effects and higher investment in telling big stories on television.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, I'm fine with him in the movies, but, Christ, he's worse than Wesley in season two.

It really does help that the show is rarely made to revolve around him like it is Wesley.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I love "Shore Leave" because of what it says about Kirk's academy days. He had this one irritating rival who would always be pranking him, and that rival was the single most Irish person ever.

Oh, and also this guys' idea of a prank was to jump around like an idiot and sucker punch people.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Finnegan should have been in the reboot.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

showbiz_liz posted:

I think that's one of those things you just have to take as "we didn't know all that much about the ways brains and memories and personalities worked 50 years ago"

"Whom Gods Destroy" and the cure for insanity? Not plausible?

Seriously though that was a hosed up episode.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

skasion posted:

Unless there's something I've forgotten in the movies, women commanding starships is strictly a 90s Trek thing.

While she isn't actually a Captain, Saavik is clearly taking command tests at the beginning of Wrath of Khan.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Astroman posted:

The standard retcon for Turnabout Intruder, which allows for Captain Hernandez of Archer's time and is corroborated in Embracing the Winds is that there are no female captains of Constitution Class Starships. There were only 12, so it's not a stretch.

It's like saying the US Navy doesn't allow female captains of aircraft carriers because there are none (are there? I have no idea) but there could be dozens of captains of smaller ships.

Which would still give her, if she were a little more stable, a good reason for her anger over being passed over for command. One could easily see that in TOS era Star Trek, Starfleet is a very patriarchal organization. So even if there is no rule, the way women are treated means it is pretty unlikely they would be given command.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

For all the talk of progressiveness hurled at Trek over the years, TOS is not a show that treats women well, pretty much across the board, throughout it's run. Turnabout Intruder only really stands out for making the undercurrent of the series blatant. All that aside, though they don't go out of their way to make a point of it, the TOS movies are far better in that regard in general.

Aside, that is, from celibacy oaths and fan dances anyway.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Eh, it's good, but nothing like the cosmonauts have back in Russia.

From what I have heard, there actually was decent argument for Russia's Buran Space Shuttle on certain grounds, though it obviously didn't get much use due to political upheaval at the time, and was mothballed when the government collapsed.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/rockets/a9763/did-the-soviets-actually-build-a-better-space-shuttle-16176311/

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/04/160412-soviet-union-space-shuttle-buran-cosmonaut-day-gagarin/

http://www.popsci.com/why-soviet-space-shuttle-was-left-rot?image=5

Oooh, urban exploration pics.
http://www.businessinsider.com/phot...in-this-room-24

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 17, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

There's an entire Spaceflight Megathread for this kind of thing, but I have to warn you that the topic of Buran vs. Shuttle always turns into a stupid, stupid slapfight.

Understood. Just passing on some cool stuff I remember from what was likely some kind of derail. I have no where near any level of expertise on the matter and was parroting a Popular Science article. Will definitely look into that thread though. Thanks.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The scenes of the main three being forced to relive their greatest painful memories is pretty decent. I read the novelization before seeing it so I am generally more partial to this film than most. I also do feel it captures the feel of the original series better than any of the rest of the films, no matter how much better they are otherwise.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Ever since someone brought it up earlier that the Romulan Bird of Prey may have been intended to be stolen Federation tech it has taken it's place as my favorite early non Enterprise Fed ship. It really is so pretty.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 21, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Imagine getting picked up by an alien spaceship and being called an expert on humans and your nation.

Assuming there are no other options, you would be better suited than anyone else they have available.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Zurui posted:

I cannot hate on Firefly fans while Sherlock fans exist.

I kind of like Sherlock, but I honestly have trouble considering myself a fan of something that has been running for so many years already and hasn't yet reached the episode count of Firefly. It's so infrequent that I barely think about it until there are new episodes. Doctor Who is almost getting that way with all the production troubles it's been having.

Firefly also just doesn't work for me. A friend tried to get me into it when the movie came out and it was just so easy to ignore that I never felt compelled to pay attention. Tried the series later on my own and still stalled after like 3 episodes.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 24, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The only guy in Star Trek to ever make a big deal about fraternization was that notorious stick in the mud, Picard. While he was engaging in it. Other than that, you have got Illia and her vow of chastity, but Star Trek has otherwise come across as a time where people have dalliances and romances with each other when they feel like it. Riker and Troi certainly had on again periods in the midst of their normal off again's. Troi and Worf were together as well. Kirk flirted with anyone in a skirt. Worf married Jadzia. Bashir chased Jadzia for a while too. No one seems to care about chain of command and sex. Except Picard. And only when it comes to his own things.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If I remember right, that gets a pretty cute little callback in DS9.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Seems like every time Bones has to do anything related t Spock's health he says something along the lines of "I wish I knew anything about vulcan physiology to help him." You'd think there would be knowledge of Vulcans 200 years after meeting them. Especially since Bones has spent so much time around Spock. You'd think he would take some readings while Spock appears to be healthy to get a baseline.

He, much like Mr. Scott, likes to set expectations low so that he can surpass them. Also he does it to gently caress with Spock.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I quite like how Betazoids are identical to humans, except for their inky black irises. It's subtle and really really made Suder even creepier.

I like how that is absolutely a thing I would never have ever noticed watching TNG on anything but a modern HDTV with the HD remaster.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Borg as the Cult of Thulsa Doom.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I really can't hate any of the original cast films. Even V is entirely watchable due to the trinity.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Does Odo ever even use a phaser?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Pakled posted:

We're incredibly lucky that TNG lasted beyond one season, considering how expensive it was to produce, how uneven the quality was, and all the terrible poo poo going on behind-the-scenes. Hell, I'm amazed anyone kept watching after the one-two punch of The Naked Now and Code of Honor being the second and third episodes in the series.

You know what, I think in this time of bounty we tend to fail to remember just how much TV used to be pretty bland to awful as a rule, and how shows specifically for lovers of genre television were few and far in between. Even my favorite shows of the 90's back have awful episodes or even whole seasons where now I would likely just quit watching. You wanted to like what few scraps were being fed you, and hey sometimes they were even decent to pretty good!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The E bridge looks like it was designed with the purpose of being easily turned into a playset for your action figures. Which is interesting, as a cursory search finds me no evidence that the E ever got one.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Timby posted:

Considering the figures they released for First Contact were friggin' huge (I think they were almost 7" tall), that would have been one big-rear end playset.

It's kind of weird they would make them that big, as playsets are kind of a big thing for Star Trek toys, no? Any series where there is a prominent spaceship, kids are gonna want to have something to represent their figures kicking around in it.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Knormal posted:

I think they connect to the ceiling , so they're not monoliths but rather awkwardly placed support columns.

I also just realized Picard's chair is like six inches from that step, he must stumble on that thing every time he stands up.

Jesus, all those little loving ledges all over the bridge. People likely get hurt all the drat time just walking around the thing, not even taking into account when they get into a fight and get thrown around that fucker.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Echo Video posted:

I have a headcanon where all the 24th century humans are learning calculus at age 8 because some of the the augments mingled with everyone else and now they're all 50% genetically enhanced anyways

Kahn got a little bit Genghis?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Can I just contribute to this perennial thread topic: TOS "The deadly years" is not a good episode.

About half the episode's runtime is a trial for Captian Kirk being too old for command, and Kirk getting bitchy over Spock's "betrayal'

add that into some ex-GF of Kirk having a GILF-fancy and it's pretty darn weird

I guess this was the price we paid for "The Doomsday Machine"

ALso: the joking at the end of the episode thing strikes me as inapprops sometimes

Like in "the doomsday machine", or "the changling" where billions die offscreen

You could write that kind of thing off as gallows humor if you wanted, but it's a problem that still exists in modern film and television to a large degree. Unless the byword is drama, people just do not have time to grieve or so it seems. I put the blame on writers who want to raise the stakes but who don't care to put any work into doing it.

Seriously though, drama is cheap and fills time like nothing else. You are already paying the actors, get your money's worth. There is almost never a situation where the show or movie will be all that much better for going over budget but there is always room for solid acting.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 14, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

shadowvine118 posted:

Was there ever an explanation for why they put Spock and Uhura together in the reboot movies?

I sincerely think that the writers watched one episode of the original series and it was the first broadcast, that being the Man Trap, where Uhura spent a bit of time teasing and flirting with Spock.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 20, 2016

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Of the first season, I do think Conspiracy is worth watching, and probably the episodes that tie into it as well, as it pretty much is the only serialized storytelling in the entire series. It also has what is likely the goriest scene in Next Gen.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

WickedHate posted:

It's like having a random Catholic character become pope.

It's like the second in command to Jesus becoming the Pope.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

From what I could gather from what they briefly mention about the situation through 3 series is that the whole area was a semi-disputed frontier area and a bunch of humans decided "hey, this area isn't technically claimed by anyone, we're going to throw up disorganized colonies without the official blessing of the federation!" and the federation was all "Well technically no one has official broadly recognised claims to that area of space, but it's right next to Cardassian territory and they are also colonizing it so we strongly recommend not settling there because if we do ever establish official borders there might be issues" but they said "NO gently caress YOU DAD" and settled anyways. Then when the federation had a war with cardassia part of the peace process was dealing with this nebulous border situation, which I'm assuming looked like old maps of the holy roman empire. Idiots who settled deep inside the cardassian side of the frontier surrounded by mostly cardassian claimed systems suddenly found them selves shocked that the new borders didn't carve out a thousand tiny special snowflake enclaves just for them.

It's also important to note that the episode of Next Gen that dealt with this made the primary inhabitants of said area stereotypical Native Americans and proceeded to lay on the guilt real thick about relocating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

dont even fink about it posted:

Taking one person aboard the ship and elocuting at them like they are a child while running dangerous covert ops on the ground was definitely the mature play there. Really it's a story that points out how dumb the Prime Directive is and takes shots at Picard's personality, both deliberately and not so deliberately. I struggle to visualize Kirk loving everything up that badly, for example.

Kirk supplied archaic weapons to one side of a conflict in a never ending proxy war against a Klingon backed equivalent. He was literally the shithead from that first season Next Gen ep who was taking anti aging drugs.