Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I have zero trouble imagining the SNW sets as what TOS would have looked like given infinite budget and future production technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Enterprise H should inexplicably be a 50s B movie cigar rocket ship

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Dune Part II is now just a Super Sentai film

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tighclops posted:

It's been a while but isn't this typically remembered as one of the crappiest episodes of the series?

Fondly remembering the TrekBBS days when it was “lovingly” referred to by its acronym - ANIS

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah that two parter was written as the series finale by Manny Coto. Then Berman and Braga just tacked on some bullshit we can all ignore.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Strange Energies

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Enterprise Tellarites were really good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s wild to me that film grain was considered undesirable in the early days of HD.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Boxturret posted:

I thought the only thing that looked a bit off in the first few episodes of DS9 that I've seen was a couple shots of view screens and windows that were composited, probably just spoiled by the TNG recompositing.

There’s a few in Emissary that look very shaky now (DS9 approach and Wolf 359 in Jennifer’s quarters come to mind), but I remember in ‘93 them being pretty “woah” compared to the static view screen shots of TNG, at least to me and my parents.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BonHair posted:

It does help that DS9 has homosexual subtext from the first episode,

Pagh is just Bajoran for gayness

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
my favorite star trek game is when I watch all my favorite episodes and pretend the crew are my friends

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
SNW makes me feel like I’m 8 again sitting in my living room watching new 90s Trek, while also very much being its own thing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Remember that very first promo for Disco that looked like it was rendered on a PS3

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Everyone should have been suspicious the second they announced Stewart as an EP.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
He did get his start on DS9, though. In retrospect, The Darkness and the Light and Empok Nor are very Bryan Fuller.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

I said this when I was doing a run through but tons of the awful Voyager stuff is frontloaded and comes up in season 1. "WARP PARTICLES" is like the fourth episode. Not that it becomes a masterpiece, but there are some excellent episodes and plenty of watchable ones.

Yeah, the coffee nebula, warp particles, and sickbay cheese are all in S1. Kinda funny how a good chunk of the major meme moments are knocked really early on.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the thing with TOS Spock is that we the audience don’t know about his more human traits, and are surprised when they come out. But to him, they’re accepted and integrated and he’s more comfortable with himself than ever. SNW Spock is very much leading into that.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

also tbh i think "Spock dealing with his Human side" is getting to be way over done. TV is full of humans. I would like some vulcans plz

SNW showed with T’Pring that Vulcans are kinky maniacs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Everything is canon, especially TAS, Lower Decks, and the Klingon board game