Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Glory to this new thread.

:eyepop:

And its hoooooooooooooouse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReOw_2f4lpY

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sisko's dad's restaurant pokes so many goddamn holes in the Star Trek economy. Who the gently caress would be a busboy for no pay? Those clams Sisko is cleaning don't look replicated, they're fresh. Otherwise he wouldn't need to clean them. Who's catching these clams?

There's a million questions that arise due to it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WickedHate posted:

For my money, basic janitorial stuff is handled by robots and/or other advanced tech

I wish. Didn't we see Jake being a busboy or doing other low-skill poo poo work when they visited Grandpa?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

It's like the Sims. You pick a career field and then you start at the bottom. First you're a busboy, then you're a waiter, then you're a cook, then you own a restaurant, then you're the president. But most of the time you are standing in your standard issue living cubicle, pissing yourself.

Career event!

The shipment of fresh clams is late! Do you:

[Replicate some and try to pass them off as fresh] or [Whip up a new dish on the fly with what you have?]

*pick answer*

Nothing matters because your customers eat for free! You get promoted!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I stumbled upon my GIF album on Google Photos and found some Star Trek ones. Enjoy!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I thought Risa was supposed to be less "brothel planet" and more "free love planet".

It's a brothel, it's just free. Risa was set up as a nymphomaniac containment planet and it sort of worked itself into a tourist destination.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

King Possum III posted:

I bet Picard would bottom for me, too.

I think you're on to something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf9oD_xl8mI

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Star Man posted:

The best episode of Star Trek was "Galaxy Quest"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

I doubt the new show will really "bring it back" because it's on CBS all access. The only people who will watch it are existing fans, it won't get new ones.

loving this. If you launch a show nowadays on a paid streaming service that is not Netflix or Hulu, it is doomed to die. Hardcore fans will seek it out, though many will probably :filez: it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Skeesix posted:

I just watched "Measure of a Man," for the first time in many years. I thought there was no way it would hold up but holy hell is it good. Patrick Stewart just relishes all those lines, but then so does everyone else: Frakes gets a chance to be so conflicted, Whoopi nails her small part, and the Judge plays extremely well off of Stewart - well except that they were apparently supposed to have sexual chemistry. I'm sure everyone is going to tell me that it's actually garbage but my eyes were glued to the screen like the first time I watched it.

I highly doubt anyone in this thread will tell you it's garbage. That's ranked up there as one of the best TNG episodes.

My favorite part is Data complimenting Riker for doing his duty well, as well as Riker's guilt about almost getting his friend sent away and disassembled.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

All the Picard love-life episodes are tied for The Worst.

I liked Captain's Holiday. :shrug:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

If you hosed your clone, would that count as masturbation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck-VIA1GUCY

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I can't believe in all the talk that's been posted about that episode, no one's mentioned the hot Space Irish lady that Riker bones.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I feel like you need another column for "Actively Avoid" because a "No" on Essential doesn't adequately prepare one for the horribleness of episodes like Cost of Living or Profit and Lace.

"Eh, it says non-essential, but let me watch this one anywa-" :stare:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CPColin posted:

But "Cost of Living" ends with that great line from Worf!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmte4b1YY20

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Man, DS9, Our Man Bashir is either the very best or very worst episode of the series and I can't decide which.

A Bond ripoff where the villain's plan actually succeeds is a great idea. That Bashir triggers the plan is the icing on the cake.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Wee Bairns posted:

Looks like folks around the world will be able to watch the new Trek series on Netflix, while Canada will watch it on Bell's Space network. So it appears they really want to get it out to everyone.

Except the USA?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

You don't have to pretend stuff you don't like didn't happen because it actually did not happen. That's what the "fiction" in "science fiction" means.

How dare you claim that the Historical Documents are not true!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I told my wife it was the most boring of ds9 episodes and we should skip it. She hates the child actor who plays molly. Says she's the worst child actor she's ever seen and her presence on screen throws her into a rage.

The child actor of Molly is barely in that episode anyway, most of it is the new older feral Molly.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I just came back from seeing Beyond, mostly so I could start clicking spoiler bars in this thread.

I liked it! When I realized that they were weaponizing "Sabotage" to kill the swarm I got a big ol grin on my face. It actually made the trailer better in retrospect.

I also teared up a bit when Spock found that photo of the old crew.

SuperDucky posted:

It'd be one thing if it was fan service. It'd be one thing if it was an action movie. It'd be one thing if it was a Star Trek movie. It'd be one thing if it was trying to introduce the new series cogently. It failed at all of those missions because there are too many cooks in the kitchen. You can't have CBS and Bad Robot and Justin Lin and Simon Pegg trying to make the same movie.

Saying you'd rather "rewatch Nemesis" is some harsh loving words though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Drone posted:

What? No. That's not how physics works.

Do you need the concept of humor explained to you by Joe Piscapo, Mr. Data?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

"Captain, that last attack has left us in an unstable orbit. Given the speed that the Enterprise is going, I have calculated that we will impact the surface in X minutes" where X is whatever is most dramatic.

There, problem solved.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Drone posted:

This also destroys any tension caused by that entire scene, ruins the pacing of the entire event, and shatters the illusion that everyone has of the drama that is unfolding. Congrats, everyone in the theater has been put to sleep.

Not if you make X something like 2 or 3 minutes. Just enough time to abandon ship and then it crashes. I wasn't suggesting it take an hour, I was trying to think of a way to appease the "That's not how orbiting works!" crowd.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snt4hjE1Eds

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I liked that she didn't have to have a romance plot with either Kirk or Scotty.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gammatron 64 posted:

She is a very pretty lady, but I have to go on team Leeta because I'm a boob man, and also she likes little Jewish goblin men like me

Hello spirit brother.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tunicate posted:

The original uniforms actually gave Patrick Stewart back problems.

What? How?

Are you sure you're not mixing up stories with Frakes, who had back issues and that was why he did his amazing "leg over the chair" move?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVIGhYMwRgs

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Timby posted:

Stewart's chiropractor told him that he would suffer permanent spinal damage if he continued wearing the costume, and so he demanded costume changes before he would show up to start shooting the third season.

Man, that's really hosed up. How bad do you have to gently caress up costume design to cause that?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I managed to google what the "H on clothing" stood for and figured it out. Has this brand recently exploded or is it just a bias that I'm suddenly noticing it a lot more? Reading up on it, it claims to wick sweat away and be comfortable for sports in some special or novel way. I'm guessing most people buy it for the brand and not their needs as high performing athletes, because I'm mostly seeing it on dumpy middle aged white dudes.

The Rock wore it in the newest Fast and Furious movies, therefore people buy it because they want to be as cool as The Rock.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Vic Fontaine sucks and all of you claiming he doesn't are weird.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

There is functionally no difference between the Ocean's Eleven episode and Our Man Bashir, except that the latter is riffing on a more popular franchise.

One has Vic Fontaine, one has Garak being awesome.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

The Moriarty ones were p good

The Barcley ones are good too, though arguably they aren't really "holodeck episodes" since the main plot occurs outside the holodeck.

E: VVV I thought Pulaski was the one who bitched about Data not "playing Holodeck right."

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 7, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

remusclaw posted:

I really like Lwaxana and feel she has some very affecting episodes.

I agree, except that Cost of Living is the most poo poo episode of television I've ever seen and I want to strangle the writer that came up with "The higher, the fewer."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cenotaph posted:

Studios don't leave stuff lying around for a decade or more on the off chance they might need it. That stuff was either binned or put up for auction.

See, you say that, but Firefly reused the armor from Starship Troopers.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

List of Star Trek captains who have used chemical weapons to poison entire planetary biospheres to take revenge on a guy he used to work with:

The Sisko owns and I will not stand for this slanderous remark.

Side note - the Voyager episode where they get the message that all of the Maquis were killed by the Dominion is hilarious.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

I think The Outrageous Okona is the second worst episode of TNG. But unlike the worst episode, Code of Honor Cost of Living, it has some redeeming value and you should watch it once.

Edit: Actually shades of grey might be worse too.

Fixed.

Also, Shades of Grey is the only episode that people can skip because it's literally a clip show.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I mean put BBT or NCIS on there EXCLUSIVELY. So you have to subscribe or not see those shows.

Hahahaha, that would get someone insta-fired just for suggesting it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Why would you pay for what is basically the same product you can get on regular TV and Hulu.

They've heard that nerds are:

A) Die-hard fans who will do whatever they have to in order to watch something
B) Full of disposable income
C) Good with technology and are cord-cutters

and they did the executive math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Literally none of the Federation Star Trek ships look interesting or cool, in my opinion. Ship design isn't why I watch Star Trek.

Some of the other races ships can be kinda cool looking, at least.