Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I could never get into Star Trek because while space travel is believable, the idea of time travel is patently absur...

Disregard. It's 1991 and I'm in Albany, NY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Nessus posted:

I do think that the Ferengi are (accidentally) the most nuanced alien race Trek ever presents, though.
This is entirely due to the efforts of Armin Shimerman.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Duckbag posted:

I think a big part of what makes it so bad is we get to see the characters we love act in strange, inconsistent, and horrible ways for no real reason. Picard runs off to become a space pirate, lets an entire planet of people die because ~prime directive~, and ruins Ensign Ro's life during one of the stiffest and worse acted/directed hours of the entire franchise. All the characters meet long lost family members or have bits of character backstory finally revealed in a way that I think was supposed to be poignant but instead was terrible because it exposed how shallow the characters really were and also gave us Rape Ghost and the Lwuxana Troi repressed memory episode. Worf is dating Troi for some reason, apparently has a human brother, and is such a bad father that his son figures out time travel. Troi takes a test and somehow becomes a senior bridge officer, despite being, you know, Troi. We learn that traveling at high warp is causing space climate change, that the federation built a cloaking device that can pass through solid rock (but won't build normal ones), and that Crusher is such a bad doctor she can accidentally make the whole crew "de-evolve" while treating the flu. Picard has a fake son, Data has a fake mom, and the Enterprise gets pregnant.

Also there are a handful of good episodes and a few "weird stuff happens" episodes that aren't bad exactly, but are still gimmicky and extremely Voyagerish, but overall that poo poo stinks.
Y'know, when you put it like this, Season 7 sounds awesome.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
While The Thaw may not be a great episode, it has great moments. The Clown having Harry restrained as he takes out the scalpel is great horror moment, and The Doctor bringing it to a halt is a palpable relief that cements him as a Spock-like figure. That episode is probably the only positive memory I have of Voyager.

Maybe I just have a weakness for Joe Menosky scripts after Darmok and Dramatis Personae. Hell, I think the biggest problem with Masks is that it should have been the two parter instead of Gambit.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
https://twitter.com/voidgardener/status/1548051824799653889?s=21&t=y0SSdT-ixe9E2KRl0r1FBQ