Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"That didn't sound at all like Spock, Jim."
"No it- ...I thought you said you might like him if he mellowed a little."
"I didn't say that!"
"You said that."
"Not exactly..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WickedHate posted:

How was he an rear end in a top hat?

I seem to recall hearing that at one point he was going around telling people that the reason Michael O'Hare left was because he got fired for alcoholism.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kazy posted:

DS9 did it better, and before 9/11 even!

(Let's not forget the episode it copied wholesale from DS9, including having René Auberjonois)

That's par for the course, there were at least a couple of Voyager episodes that were straight-up TNG rehashes

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DeadBonesBrook posted:

2) Is it true that Gene Roddenberry wanted the Ferengi to have giant dong's that required massive codpieces to house them and that they were meant to be great lovers? I've seen it mentioned on Memory Alpha but its only source is an obscure magazine article. Is it documented anywhere else?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Oh wow that's amazing, where did you find these?

A few years ago, Rick Sternbach was selling off binders full of photocopies of the various memos he'd written and received throughout TNG.

Here's another bit I scanned from there:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think it also depends on how you measure progress and what kind of society you want to live in.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Saw Beyond again today, this time with my dad who's a TOS ultra-fan (he liked it). Caught another easter egg; during the Yorktown scene where Sulu meets his family, there's a boarding call for "Stargazer, NCC-2893". Nice little shout out to TNG, even if the timeline's a little wonky.

edit; although maybe not, if you assume the Stargazer was a 60 year old POS when Picard took command.

It's too small to see on screen, but the Operation Retrieve map in Star Trek 6 had a USS Constellation with an NX prefix.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

To be honest, I think it's more that Quinto doesn't have much range as an actor. He was basically cast as Spock because the Internet created an uproar over how much of a resemblance he bore to young Nimoy. He doesn't have much capacity for subtlety and a lot of his inflection is closer to Tim Russ' Tuvok than anything else.

How big a factor was Quinto's role on Heroes in his casting for Spock?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

Logically speaking the Federation's gotta have some kind of a Psi Corps, and Troi would have actually been improved, probably, if she was the psi agent on board. Which HAPPENED to include, primarily, counseling and therapy, BUT ALSO some of the stuff she did in S6 and S7 when they put her in the uniform.

I wouldn't say that's "logically speaking" at all, considering that Babylon 5 straight-up said that Psi Corps was the worst way to go about handling telepaths, and none of the alien powers were shown to have similar organizations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also there's a subtle difference between "telepaths start springing up amongst our human population" and "there's a whole fuckin planet full of telepaths over there".

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Maera Sior posted:

Once I got to feel a bunch of the original uniforms. I could not believe just how cheap and flimsy the material was.

TOS was literally taking red-eye deliveries of costumes from illicit sweatshops.

Grand Fromage posted:

Whoopi Goldberg was definitely the biggest star on the show at the time. LeVar Burton would've been second and I am not sure if Patrick Stewart was known at all in the US. I suppose I, Claudius would've aired.

She was so big that when she tried to reach out to Paramount to say "hey, I want to be on the show", the studio thought someone was trying to prank them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I got the TNG Collection Volume Two soundtrack release recently and have been digging it. Some great cues from the first couple of seasons.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
How is The Lights of Zetar not bad?!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh, my bad Trek opinion is that TNG seasons 1 and 2 are better than seasons 6 and 7.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

B5 season 1 is the worst garbage I've seen recommended in this thread, and people here have recommended Doctor Who.

B5 season 1 is better than Dr. Who. This is fact, not conjecture.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
TNG season 7's sin is that so much of it is so dull.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Voyager would have been totally redeemed if they'd just had a brief throwaway gag scene where, as the Borg Queen strolls down a flickering corridor, she mutters "does anyone remember when we used to be interested in technology?" as a callback to the Insurrection scene where Picard grumbles about not being explorers any more.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Man, that CGI Defiant was dogshit.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

It has very, very few redeeming qualities. The cinematography is decent (probably the best of the TNG films after Generations, really), Digital Domain really did a phenomenal job with the visual effects ... and ... uh, yeah, I got nothin'. loving Spiner.

They saved a bunch of money not having to render the Scimitar half the time! :haw:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

Is Babylon 5 the one that had Penn and Teller in some episode, or was that some other fanatic franchise?

Yeah, in the fifth season.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Paradoxish posted:

This is a halfway reasonable "best of" list, but it's way, way too harsh if you're just trying to cut out the really bad episodes. The fact that "Conspiracy" isn't on the list for season one is a travesty too. That episode is ridiculous, but it's also awesome and you have to be one hell of a joyless motherfucker not to get any enjoyment out of it.

The only episodes I'd even consider skipping in season three are "The Price," "Ménage à Troi," and maybe "Transfigurations." And mostly just because they're kind of boring, and "The Price" is also a showcase for how bad the TNG writers were with relationship stuff. There are plenty of other mediocre ones, but skipping them on a first watch or first rewatch after that long is really silly.

You cannot skip "Ménage à Troi". The ending is just too loving priceless.

"Mr. Crusher, set course for Betazed. ...warp nine."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

cenotaph posted:

Studios don't leave stuff lying around for a decade or more on the off chance they might need it. That stuff was either binned or put up for auction.

There was actually a huge auction several years ago that had all kinds of random poo poo dating back to the early movies. Like display panels from Spacedock from Star Trek 3 or 4, Chekov's huge ear from Star Trek 2, the closeup model section of the torpedo tubes from ST2/3, a whole lot of costume poo poo.

So, yeah, Paramount actually did keep a bunch of poo poo around for well over a decade.

EDIT: That said yeah there was that huge auction and it probably included any Andorian prosthetics that weren't already deemed too gross or worn out to throw away.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

After 7 years of Voyager, this was reason enough. Time and distance has dulled these emotions, and when I eventually get around to trying to rewatch ENT again I'm sure I'll be less irritated by the consistent letdown of each episode too

Yeah, if they had done Enterprise instead of Voyager, it probably would have been received substantially better. Of course, my understanding is that seasons 3 and 4 were as good as they were because the producers finally got desperate enough to start venturing outside of their comfort zone, so an alternate timeline where Voyager is replaced by Enterprise might have a weaker Enterprise series because it didn't tank so hard in ratings.

Voyager poisoned the well hard. It was seven years of mediocrity, of totally failing to do anything substantial with the premise, and endless technobullshit solutions to technobullshit problems. Naren Shankar claims that the TNG writing staff made or received something akin to a technobabble Mad Libs as a gag, they had a laugh about it, and when he went back to visit the Voyager staff years later he found they were cheerfully using the Treknobabble generator to literally write dialogue for the episodes. The finale really was peak Voyager, so anyone who found the series' faults annoying or offensive was really pissed off by the way the ending was handled.

Now Enterprise is coming along, and the producers are swearing up and down "oh, this series is gonna be totally different, it's going to be so different that we're not even putting Star Trek in the main title, we're really taking it back and changing it up," annnnnd first episode has Klingons, phasers phase pistols with stun settings, the transporter being used on a person and to whisk the captain out of harm's way. The producers had talked a big bunch of bullshit and then totally failed to deliver, again. I quit right after the first episode. I was done, I already knew it was going to be more of the same crap I was already tired of, so I walked away and didn't come back. I only started skimming episodes a year or two ago, well over ten years after the series had aired, and I have zero regrets about not giving that series a second chance when it was still airing.

'Aggressively bland and not trying new things' is exactly what Enterprise desperately needed to not do. They really needed to not do the same old poo poo again and again, and they couldn't help themselves, and they deserved to fall on their face for it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mortanis posted:

I have to assume that Paul Allen grabbed a bunch of the rest, as 75% of the stuff at the Sci-Fi museum in Seattle over the last 10 years has his name on it and the new Star Trek exhibit I went to last week was basically entirely his.

All told, the exhibit was a bit underwhelming. Very cool to see the stuff up close, but not nearly as much as the Star Wars or BSG exhibits. It's amazing how much of the stuff is really really low quality that somehow looks like magic on screen. Half the phasers were wood and the Borg outfits are like 33% velcro by volume. I have no idea if the hanging ships were the actual production models or not, but the 6 foot Enterprise D looked like someone stubbed out cigars on one side of it.

The 6 footer got beat the gently caress up. I guess it had spent some time suspended above some loving restaurant kitchen after Generations?

Keep in mind that not all props are created equal. Some props are "hero" props designed to look good even in close-ups, while most are meant to just look mostly right at a distance.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

They also had to do a massive restoration job just to make it usable for Generations, because it had literally been left to rot after it was hauled out for the saucer separation in Best of Both Worlds (the 4-footer, in addition to having a saucer that looked like a pregnant manta ray with aztecing and hull detailing that seems to have been applied by a blind man with Parkinson's, couldn't separate). Almost all of the internal lighting in the six-footer had frayed and was unusable, the paint job was faded and corrupted, the model itself had been beat to hell during various transports between studios, and that's where yet another huge chunk of Generations' budget went -- something like nearly $1 million went to getting the thing fixed.

Holy poo poo, I didn't know that. That's a pretty sizable chunk of the movie's budget right there. Did they ever have to spend that kind of money on refurbing the eight-foot refit/A model?

EDIT: I mean, I know it had to get completely repainted at least once or twice, but I don't know what paint jobs cost as compared to structural repairs or rewiring.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 10, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Although, even by third season, the model was starting to show signs of wear. There's some massive light leakage going on in Booby Trap:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

Was that a unique shot for Booby Trap?

It just feels like a stock angle that they would have taken early in the run dressed up with a new background.

I'm pretty sure it was unique based on the way the ship moved. It wasn't just a standard "ship moving away" pass.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

All new effects from S3 on (BoBW excepted) were with the four-foot model they constructed between 2 and 3, so that would've been brand new.

I'm pretty sure they started using the four-footer midway through the third season.

EDIT: I think the first time it showed up was in The Defector

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 10, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cojawfee posted:

Go over and post all that on the star trek reddit. I said that Enterprise ended up lame because everything was literally the same and some sperg piped up with "yeah but the hull plating works by a completely different concept to shields."

lol there's no way i'm going to post on reddit, let alone the loving trek subreddit

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CobiWann posted:

My co-worker thinks Enterprise is the best series because Archer took names and kicked rear end, while Deep Space Nine was incredibly boring, nothing ever happened, and Sisko's actor was the world's biggest overactor.

I'm experiencing this feeling, I can't quite put into words...

I know this feeling. I remember it well, when a friend once said that they thought Nemesis was a much better movie than The Wrath of Khan.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
At that point I'm pretty sure that was one of three possible outcomes, the other two being "the Federation orders Starfleet to not intervene as the Cardassian fleet annihilates every last Maquis colony" and "the Cardassians declare war on the Federation".

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"We just want to b-be treated like a real grown-up space nation :qq:"
"Okay well guess what happens to space nations that hit other space nations with WMDs?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Take out the hair stuff and that's basically Captain Harlock right there.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want to change my vote to the Defiant for best bridge. It's only negative aspect is that your helmsman is blocking the captain's view of the viewscreen.

That and it's the most-prone to wounding your bridge crew even though the shields are still up.

DS9 got really silly with the bridge pyrotechnics and camera-shake.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Remember how they made a big deal out of that holographic communication system in that one DS9 episode and then never did it again?

They actually used it for two episodes (the other being the one where the idiot dipshit writers retconned Bashir into being a GMO) before figuring out the gimmick sucked.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I mean, seriously. "I'm appearing as a hologram in this one weird alcove on your bridge, instead of behind the viewer where the holographic imagery normally goes." Yeah, that makes sense.

Also "I'm standing on the same set as you, only because I have a spotlight shining on me from above and have to stay in this marked-off area, that means I'm a hologram" is the sort of low-rent poo poo I'd expect from the BBC.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wikkheiser posted:

Ambassador class or :getout:

I like it but as someone else pointed out, it really is basically a halfway between the old Enterprise and the new, rather than a halfway between Excelsior and Galaxy.

(mostly because they needed to simplify the model in order to get it done on time)

Nessus posted:

A fat belly full of science and federation freedom.

I like the Excelsior's look since it's clearly related to the Enterprise yet also very clearly not the exact same thing. I think it looks better in near-profile shots tho. It's also a bit more reasonable to see how it looks when you realize the relative scale, as shown in this huge rear end picture:

That profile's not nearly accurate to Excelsior. Was that made in like 1984 by someone whose only reference was having seen the movie a month ago?

I actually think Excelsior's okay (but not Ent-B, eugh, barf), but it was always funny/annoying to me how nobody could ever seem to reproduce it accurately, whether it was in video games or comic books or... schematics like what you posted, apparently.

Gammatron 64 posted:

The Refit Enterprise/A is the best looking ship, though.

This is fact, not conjecture.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Speaking of modular ship designs, does anyone remember a game from (I wanna say) 98-2004 that let you mix and match parts and crews to make your own ships? I think it was technically an add-on for some other game.

ed: Found it, it was literally just "Starship Creator"

I remember this, it was pretty disappointing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

This can be said of, like, every Star Trek game except 25th Anniversary, Judgment Rites, A Final Unity (although gently caress some of the puzzles in that), Elite Force, Armada and Bridge Commander.

Based on what we got on release, I honestly found Bridge Commander more disappointing than Klingon Academy. I mean, yeah, the KA Mission Builder never happening was really disappointing and the game could be pretty buggy, but I never felt quite so bait-and-switched by that as I did by Totally Games saying "we want to 'accurately' model the ships on the show, yeah some ships are going to be straight-up weaker than others, we'll do a points-value system for multiplayer" and then nope the ships are largely balanced against each other, oh also you get like twelve ships total. The game reeked to me of "gently caress it, the fans are going to flesh it out with mods anyway".

That said, I will definitely concede that BC is the technically superior platform and that the fans really did do a hell of a job expanding it out.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

Dude's old and one of his two children suicided. They can't all be immortal Pillar men like Stewart, who I swear to God has shown no signs of aging, save increasing neck wattle, since Dune.

He's aged very well but he very much has shown signs of aging. Please compare:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mortanis posted:

And even though T'Pol's jumpsuits were decent, the episode where Archer has extra-dimensional brain parasites blocking his long term memory had her in a standard Enterprise uniform and it looked really drat good on her.

Also, regarding Jeri Ryan, never forget that she led directly to an Obama presidency!

It's really unfortunate that they kept doing the boobsuits. I'm not sure which is more depressing, a bunch of producers sitting around the table leering at pictures of women and going "which one will look the best in a catsuit? how high should the heels be? let's get someone with even bigger boobs than your girlfriend!!", or a suit from Paramount Marketing droning through a PowerPoint presentation on how putting Jolene Blalock in a boobsuit increases projected unit sales by 17%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
please god remove catsuits from your plan for space opera