Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I keep forgetting that the GBS star trek thread isn't here, and I've serious-posted loads there, so hello I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Frats were banned before WW3, but stupid people still feel the need to club together to play stupid, dangerous games. :toughguy:

This is largely to do with writer credits and royalties, I believe (happy to be corrected by people with better knowledge of writers' contracts in LA at the time than me)

If we have Ro Laren, Fighty Bajoran Aligned with the Federation, my understanding is that every time we use her, the character's creator gets a cut. Hence Kira, Fighty Bajoran Aligned with the Federation.

See also: Tom Paris, Young Super Flyboy Who Seeks Redemption rather than reusing Wes' Squadron Leader, Young Super Flyboy Atoning For Past Mistakes

E: basically people crossed over between shows only when ratings would reward the expense

simplefish fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 28, 2018

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Only if they don't take care of it in the original negotiations. Ro was going to be on DS9 but the actress turned it down so they modified it into Kira.

Fair enough. Do you have a source, I'd like to know more

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Pick posted:

Kira's way better than Ro anyway.

It's not really a fair comparison, one's given the chance to grow on screen while the other isn't

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

From Sperg Alpha

MikeJF posted:

It's in a bunch of the making of stuff.

Here's a few quotes from an early version of the DS9 series bible from memory alpha:

Cheers guys

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

From a few pages back, but mostly I'm posting it so I can link to it in future.

Some of you guys are way off base when it comes to jobs.

You have 2 choices:
1) sit in your bedroom and stare at the walls
2) get a busboy job one or 2 nights a week at the most happening creole joint in town, with live music and happy customers where tips don't matter

If none of your friends did something like gently caress off to Spain to work a bar, sleep with hot Spanish women, drink good wine, live in the same district as Picasso did and pluck at a guitar before an open balcony in the Old Town lazily whiling away a hot summer evening with your senorita painting oils on canvas at an easel in the nude - then man, what kind of friends did you have? Sure they aren't saving for a deposit on a house, they aren't advancing their career, but they're happier than you ever were you uptight anal gently caress. Admit it, you envy them.

gently caress yeah I'd take a job at sisko's restaurant a night or 2 a week while I figured out what to do with myself in my 20s

It's a tautology anyway: any job we see existing exists purely because someone wants to do it. Elderly people who volunteer at soup kitchens or are tea ladies at swanky offices can attest- they could collect pension at home or go interact with people even though they don't have to. Not everyone's a basement-dwelling neckbeard.

So while yeah, we see concierges/receptionists/whatever in Trek, that's a job someone wants to do. But when it comes time to scrub plasma injectors on a garbage scow, you employ the EMH Beta Version 2 or whatever, because nobody wants to do it.

So if the job exists, it's because someone wants it to, not because it has to. That's the friggin point of the Federation. Do what you want to, not what you need to, because your needs are taken care of.

If you really want to talk socioeconomics then look at the FIRE movement. The "retire early" part of that causes so much controversy because these people who are financially independent still do poo poo with their days - and many critics say that's "not really retirement". Well gently caress, if retirement is sitting around waiting to die, I don't want it.

That's about as far as I can imagine from a proto-Soviet hellscape.

E: an aside, I'm fittingly posting this from outside the Starfleet Communications Headquarters, aka the Bank of China Building in Hong Kong

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I had a bunch of people over to my place the other night. I cooked them food, served it to them, made sure everyone's drinks were full, and did all the cleaning. I like to do this often. Not every day, or even every week, but often enough. I did this without a capitalist threatening me with starvation or homelessness. I imagine in the federation people also do things they have a passion for, including running a restaurant while some other people work a few hours once a week or when they feel like it just for the experience.

Also without economic class at work there's nothing wrong with being a server at a restaurant, people would admire your serving skills and you would become a cool popular person in your community. I imagine social reputation and standing is quite a currency in a post-scarcity gay utopia.
This guy loving gets it

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Also, there are things like the old books in Picard's ready room. Do only pre-scarcity generational wealth people own poo poo like that?

This was answered before you posted

The Bloop posted:

In addition to land being scarce, so are many other things.

As indicated by Picard himself in First Contact, there is something important to humans about having "real" original things (touching the Phoenix before launch)

Sure, you could replicate a perfect copy of a Shakespeare first edition or a bottle of Chateau Picard 2249, but irrational as it may be, people want a real one.

Kivas Fajo didn't want a fake yet perceptually identical Mona Lisa, which would be trivially easy to obtain. He committed crimes to get the real one.

There is no post-scarcity solution for this, so some sort of reward system for doing necessary but distasteful work seems like a good compromise. Capitalism itself isn't even bad as long as the reasonable needs of the people are met first. No one in Trek is doing anything undignified or backbreaking just to survive.

Nerds gonna nerd even in the Utopian Federation. But just because one person cares, doesn't mean the general public do. For them, a Mona Lisa postcard or Van Gogh reprint to hang on the wall is enough.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Whalley posted:

Instead, you should go into the holodeck and say "Computer, create a painter who will work on and eventually paint a work of art that will make me cry"

See, I get the whole thing about "Computer, create an X capable of Y" and people's reactions to it.

But really, it's not that big a deal.

What did Moriaty actually get? Self awareness. Or, well, not that exactly, but the capacity to understand that he was a computer construct.

That was the difference between him before modification and Data: knowing the boundaries of the simulation. All the computer did was allow him to react to the Arch, unlike other characters.

It wasn't a guaranteed win (he lost, after all). But it was a matter of capability, not a matter of certainty as so many of these type of posts construe it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

McSpanky posted:

Hmm yes, a perfect equivalence that holds up to absolutely any scrutiny whatsoever

Buddy, that's :thejoke:, you need to stop trekkin yourself so seriously

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

"Number One" said Picard, gesturing deferentially to the powerful joystick. Riker smirked cockily, tugging down on his tunic and stepping over the back of the chair. His masculine bear-paw wrapped around the firm column, feeling the feedback nodes throb with the unceasing thrust of the mighty engine. Riker let himself slide into a place he only went when he played trumpet or made love; his adventurer's soul reached out, groping and mingling with the barely-restrained beast that was the Enterprise.

He snarled. "Let's play rough, bitch." The hull shivered.

Change "played trumpet" to "blew/slid his well-oiled trombone" ans you've got it

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Bashir/O'Brien was fantastic. A bright-eyed, bushy-tailed know-it-all with no real-life knowledge befriends a grouchy, cynical bloke who never done too good at that schoolin' but has all the wisdom in the world. Youth vs Experience and all that.

I really liked their drunk scene sitting on the floor singing Jerusalem*

Then they had to go and take it all away by making Bashir a Super Savant who was faking and holding back the whole time, calling into question all his interactions with anyone up to that point. What a lovely piece of character "development". In my head Bashir is and always was just Regular Smart and in that, along with his over-enthusiasm, he embodies the Federation perfectly. He's the perfect foil to O'Brien (as mentioned) and Garak (for obvious reasons), but also Sisko, who has a lot of hesitation when it comes to the Federation and has to look at broader pictures than a close focus on solving "Crisis Of The Week". It shows that while Bashir is smart, he wouldn't be a better replacement for anyone on board because more things than brains matter.

Then yeah, they undo all of that and he could apparently have done everyone's jobs at once, the whole time, no sweat.

*despite the England's Green and Pleasant Lands vs Irish thing, but let's imagine in the future we've all moved past that

simplefish fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 22, 2018

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The Bloop posted:

What about that hunkin cutie Mayweather

he has to be on screen to be seen

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Pick posted:

Even Shran has the hobble of not being the best Star Trek character played by the same freakin dude!

Okay, but also no. We know you have Weyoun Fever, strains 1 through 8, but I really did prefer Shran.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Pick posted:

Brunt is great too!

Sorry, but I'll always be a Shran man

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I am what most of you would call an ENT Defender. It was really getting into its stride in the final series when the writers got out all the good ideas they'd been sitting on (Vulcan desertfest aside) and it might have led somewhere

But I'm not an ENT Apologist. You can't really, as a TV show, spend that long to hit your stride and not expect to get cancelled. Although someone's recently said it would have got renewed had its corporate overlord not folded. So maybe there would have been Star Trek Exceptionalism, like we're getting with DIS hanging around.

Also ENT was the best VOY, when they got lost in deep space all outmatched at every turn and had to be wily or occasionally lucky to escape scrapes, and the damage added up, and reports of crew deaths were mentioned on screen, and the most important thing was that they hung together despite it all.

There was only ever one real VOY episode, which was the one when they're sucked into an unknown void and have to start working on fragile alliances, but that was condensed into one episode and really should have been the whole thing.

Anyway, once ENT got its 9/11 all out of its system, it could have been good. It maybe would have hit its stride sooner had it not been derailed by that. And even then, the 9/11 Archer poo poo wasn't half as heartless as Diktator Janeway, imho

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I thought they were just taught by aliens because they were so in tune with nature the aliens couldn't help but be impressed.

To be fair this happens with Poverty Tourism today.

What, you're trying to develop your cities to engage in international trade?

Why is there this shop on your main street that is a global brand we have back hone?

I thought Hong Kong was supposed to be all quaint little noodle shops run by toothless grandpas and neon from the 1960s because that's Traditional in my mind?

No factories for you, every African country must be one big safari park for me to enjoy every other year!

So people go further and further away from thinking about how development could benefit a people* and start thinking of it as an idealistic playground to visit for a taste of the past, while in "real life" they have fast internet and food standards and insulated housing.

I can see aliens doing the same with Earth.

*yeah it has drawbacks too

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

In conclusion,

In conclusion, Tim Russ best Star Trek actor-turned-director

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

TOS S1E25

Someone was saying on here a while back that with all the crazy poo poo that happens, Picard should have better protocols for when the seemingly impossible happens, rather than wasting time disbelieving crew reports.

This is my first run through of TOS, and it's glorious. Less than one season into space, and they already know they can't trust:

*Bridge officers are greeted by a colonist, shake hands. The colonist leaves*

Kirk: "but these people shouldn't be alive."

Sulu, without missing a beat: "Is it possible that they're not?"

It's absolute gold and perfectly reasonable to ask and I love it.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It definitely helped that she was Gene’s wife, Nurse Chapel, the computer, and a fairly visible part of the franchise as a whole from TNG-onwards.

And Pike's Number One who was a pretty good pretty major character

I haven't seen her much as Nurse Chapel except for one where she gets obsessed with brushing her hair and looking in the mirror a lot and not saying very much. I'm hoping that changes after TOS S1

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Q_res posted:

Look at how dumb you are, Move Along Home isn't even in the 3 worst episodes of DS9. That'd be Meridian, Melora and The Muse.

Woah woah woah the Muse is proper old skool Trek with DS9 finesse, don't bring that this to this table

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

MikeJF posted:

It's like those people who change windows so that they single click icons instead of double click.

Oh my god, I actually think you've solved it

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Honestly it's taken a while for all Star Treks to get good, so Disco has until S3 to get some positive fan reaction or I'm just never gonna bother.

And by "has until S3" I don't mean I'm watching it during that time - I gave it a couple of episodes and it didn't impress me enough to follow along - but if it gets enough people saying "yeah it started poo poo but it's really picked up now" then I'll go back and watch from the start because I'm just wired to be that kind of masochist completionist

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Aside from turning goofy Harry Mudd into a mass murdering psychopath, yeah it was.

mudd.jpg

He had the record to support crazy poo poo, it always seemed to me that Kirk caught him on a good day

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

oh poo poo am I an STD apologist now?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Nullsmack posted:

Apparently it was a massive effort to track down all of the sources of film and such to digitize for each individual episode of TNG. When it was being produced they'd do something for one episode but then the film would end up in another box because they reused it for another episode. Things were not always labelled correctly. Stuff like that. Not to mention redoing all of the special effects in HD. They'd have to commit to doing all of it and then hope that trickling it out one episode at a time would make enough money to be worth it.
I hope CBS does remasters for DS9 and Voyager at some point. Or at least DS9. If they don't, I hope someone figures out how to use some of the Machine Learning/Neural Network stuff to upgrade what we have.

There are whole episodes of well-loved BBC sitcoms and episodic dramas that are lost because archiving wasn't a thing back then and magnetic tape/storage space got constantly reused after broadcast in the 1950s/60s/70s.

Sometimes they turn up in the lofts of ex-employees or old storerooms but yeah I can easily accept that Trek scenes have been similarly lost, especially when masters were distributed around model shot/CGI/etc subcontractors/departments before the final TV-quality cuts

simplefish fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 21, 2018

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Mark Lenard as Jim-Bob Sarek in 20 Kids and Counting

Kirk: "Wow, Spock, I had no idea your dad was such a family man, having so many kids!"

Spock: "It's only logical, Jim - after all, they're cheaper by the dozen."

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

It's the 1950s cars with nacelles that get me.

Was the artist thinking, "TOS was Space '60s, thus it follows that Kirk at the academy was Space '50s!"

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

:j:"So which course of action are you suggesting we logically take?"

:c00l:"Whaddya got?"

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Looks vaguely East Asian so maybe Sulu?

That was my thought too. And does he have a pack of smokes up his sleeve? Is Sulu the reason for no_smoking_on_the_bridge.jpg?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I watched a YouTube rip of the video from the Star Trek Klingon game, and I was surprised how many actors who have previously played Klingons showed up in it. Feels like they took advantage of some of the guest actors being around.

The cynic in me wonders whether their contracts said they'd be offered the first refusal to play the character if ever reprised

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

simplefish posted:

That was my thought too. And does he have a pack of smokes up his sleeve? Is Sulu the reason for no_smoking_on_the_bridge.jpg?

There it is

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

After The War posted:

Real life versus the practicalities of a television studio, but let's not forge that the IBM AN/FSQ-7 used in the USAF Semi-Automatic Ground Environment (SAGE) air defense network had ashtrays (and lighters!) at each user station:

Hey man if the world was about to end in nuclear fire I think I'd probably want a smoke too - especially if I had to have an active role in saying "sure, go ahead, wipe it out."

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In fairness, I would also do a lovely show if the dumbass fans continued to give me easy paychecks.

*pauses, turns to camera*
*shrugs*

(Morose, nasal voice): "It's a living"

*turns from camera, goes back to work*

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I like the idea of Borg as the system taking over its components. We have this already in real life. Why do we accept the world we are born into with its various social systems and laws? We just do. And it works, so we all keep on perpetuating it: we willingly limit ourselves, even under laws we disagree with - most don't break them.

It'd be a really cool episode if they used the Borg to explore "freedom from..." in contrast with the Federation's "freedom to...", and the Vulcans being somwhere in the middle. Not sure about the story it'd be stretched over but it's a cool philosophical concept, and to me, exploring those is where Trek excels.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I don't know how it was executed, but I really do like what I heard about the EU reveal that the Breen are actually a whole bunch of species and the suits serve the purpose of letting them all act as a single species without discrimination or conflict between their members. And that's why the reports on Breen and their living conditions vary so wildly. It's the kind of idea the show might have explored.

This is cool, but should it have been the Breen? I like how they're a mystery. It could have been a new alien and lost nothing.

Good shows need some mysteries. It was a terrible mistake, in my book, that ENT went and 'answered' why the look of Klingons changed between TOS and TNG. "We DON'T talk about it." was a perfect response - acknowledgement that it wasn't the same on a meta level, and in-character and a better reply than "it just is" or "crappy spacebabble scifi reason".

Even BBC's Sherlock, when he jumped off the building but was still alive, and they had an in-character fan try to interview him about it and offer a theory, and he just replied basically "sure, ok, that works, if that's what you want to believe" - that was equally perfect

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

You're all talking about a planet where what you imagine comes true. And saying "The Orville" but I think you mean TOS, with Bones and The White Rabbit and whatnot.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Jewel Repetition posted:

Which side do you sleep on?

I sleep in zero G

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Just bouncing off plasma conduits all night long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The Picard Show: a thin Sci-fi glaze applied to the plays of Beckett, Pinter, and Rattigan. The pilot is based on Osborne's Look Back in Anger.