Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

some kinda jackal posted:

Daniels' black time outfit in the 31st century and his weird haircut make him look like one of those aliens from Galaxy Quest got assimilated by the Borg :lol:

He was one of those aliens from Galaxy Quest, along with Sam Lloyd (RIP) and Rainn Wilson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

If I recall the story correctly, the writers didn't even come up with the idea of the switch until the episode where it was revealed. Siddig in particular was kind of upset about that, since if he'd known it for the previous few episodes he would have LOVED to tweak his performance and put in just the sort of subtle clues you were hoping to find.

Please correct me if I've misremembered.

And immediately following that two-parter was "Doctor Bashir, I Presume?" which made a change to Bashir's backstory so massive that pretty much invalidated every performance decision Siddig had made since Day 1.

Tighclops posted:

It's kind of darkly amusing to me that the guy's saltiness resulted in a series whose success fundamentally damaged the entire genre of televised science fiction for a decade

That may be more a combination of several things, including the rise of superhero media swamping out most every other form of televised sci-fi for a few years. There's also a point to be made that almost every piece of American space sci-fi made from the late 1980s onward was reacting in some way to the cultural juggernaut that was TNG, and nuBSG was the final example of that reaction. By the time nuBSG ended the era of TNG's influence was over, and it took a few years before something new came along to set the example for the next era of shows.

I suppose that's one of the sad things about modern Trek. It doesn't set the tone anymore, but just copies from bigger successes.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Just got to the absolute banger of a episode S3 E 11 , The Hunted and I loving love how this guy just clowns the Enterprise and then at the end Picard just says " gently caress it , figure it out shitlords, peace out" and just beams off the planet

I think it was someone in this thread who pointed out that Roga Danar is basically just alien Solid Snake.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Arivia posted:

They were kids’ books, like a hundred pages long or so. This was back during 90s Trek, when it actually got merchandised for kids. So it was stories about the show characters but aged down in a school setting for kids to identify with (the TNG and VOY ones at least, the DS9 ones were the Jake and Nog show). They didn’t assume everyone went to the academy at the same time but instead had different books focus on different characters - so another TNG one might be about Picard a few years earlier, for example.

If memory serves, only the TNG and DS9 book lines got substantial runs. They spun the Starfleet Academy concept off for TOS and Voyager, but those only got three books out before they were canned. Funnily enough, while the Big Three from TOS each got a book to themselves as you'd expect, the Voyager books are all about Janeway.

cenotaph posted:

I read the Worf one and I remember nothing about it.

I remember the Worf ones because when Peter David was starting up his New Frontier book series, he brought over all the characters he created for the Academy books - save one - and made them the crew of the Excalibur.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 15, 2023