Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Khanstant posted:

Is there anyone in Trek or a species in broader scifi have a kind of opposite approach to prime-directive? Like upfront meddlers who might see a primitive species on the brink of race war or something and they come down and are like "actually don't do all the strife, instead here's everything anyone needs to kickstart their species into an advanced egalitarian race.

I feel like anytime I ask a question about a scifi civ thing I wanna see, everyone says "The Culture" so I should really get around to reading gravity's three body problem or whatever it's from.

The Culture is absolutely what you're looking for. They'll gladly steer civs in the direction their anthropological numbers say will make them turn out the best. The fact that this inherently entails breaking some eggs is the setup for a few pretty good Culture books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

That reminds me of a very short story I read years ago where in the near future, Earth gets obliterated by a relativistic rock out of nowhere. The last human alive was out at geosynchronous orbit to fix a cable TV satellite, and an alien starship arrives and picks him up. They also explain to him that it was nothing personal, they've been monitoring Earth's transmissions and decided to strike first since they simply couldn't stand up against our immense technological might. The repairman guy asks what the hell they're talking about, and they give him examples like photon torpedoes and the Death Star. He objects that that's all just science fiction, to which they reply: "We understand your word 'science', but... what is 'fiction'?"

EXPLAIN IT TO HIM AS YOU WOULD A CHILD!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Remember that NASA funded project where a woman lived in a half-flooded apartment with a Dolphin to teach it to communicate with people and to get any useful work done she had to jerk it off first?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Excession might be approachable for a Goon, as it's the one with all the spaceships shitposting with each other.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

LCARS is updating to v1.4.2
Please do not unplug or power off your console during this process.
Your terminal may restart several times.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

If I found out an inordinate amount of people were rooting for my Nazi character, I too would be strongly tempted to trash what I was doing and start writing as if for idiots.

*cracking my knuckles, addressing the word processor after opening several fan letters about how cool and good the Nazi Space Lizard is*

INT: SPACE STATION - NIGHT

The NAZI LIZARD is SHIDDING AND FARDING.

NAZI SPACE LIZARD (to audience)
I am dumb, and love to shid and fard, in my pants.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

jeeves posted:

What are you guys talking about? The D never had any more recorded adventures after all good things and Picard is still a great character and hasn’t been ruined at all by P-Stew being given producer credits.

Picard even finally joined his senior staff for poker!

Picard never left the Nexus and every film that followed (and the end of Generations) is him living out his ever more absurd, deeply sublimated libidinal macho fantasies.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The whole "ship everything has to happen to and be established and resolved in 44 minutes for show reasons" creates some real incongruities with "flagship of the federation with the best and brightest"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Shatner got to direct V because of a "favored nations" clause in his contract that basically says "anything Nimoy gets I get at least as good or better" and Nimoy got to direct a Star Trek (the good one about the whales.)

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 22, 2021

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

One of the redeemable bits V that is how the "planet of galactic peace" between 3 antagonistic powers is a shithole where all of the diplomats stationed there just gently caress around and get drunk. it's a little cynical for trek but works.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

A Very Sexy Baby posted:

Y'all are just flying through the year-numbered pages without comment.

Happy 2293! *scream-moans in Valeris-voice*

let's get those fs going in chat for spocks mom

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

It's going to be interesting to see which fictional starship the first actual starship will end up most resembling

I hope it's the event horizon

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Someone write a fanfic where it is the Enterprise D captained by Picard that originally encounters the planet in The Omega Glory. I wanna see how that plays out.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Khanstant posted:

There should be a clandestine organization that creates solvable problems for the Federation so that they never lose their utopic edge through complacency.

"We need a bunch of crisis actors to pretend to sacrifice their children to a computer they worship so some captain can come along and feel like he's big dickin the galaxy by unplugging the computer."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i hope they make it play beasty boys

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah. I'm not sure how, but the exact same sets, costumes and props somehow look cheaper in ST3 than they did in ST2. I don't know enough about filmmaking to say exactly what makes the difference -- lighting? shot composition? film stock? -- but it's true.

It was a neophyte director in the chair in Nimoy which probably contributes to all those things.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Arivia posted:

And like, a whole series. With an expanded role for Deckard and Ilia, maybe.

Can we rework Illia so she has hair, maybe add a robot?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Why would you want to make Ilia less sexy?

IDK. Maybe she could have an inconsistent accent she forgets to do in the movies?

I'm not sure what we do for chef engineer we'll sort it out in the second season.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

tmp is cool because you can go run some errands come back and it's still the same scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1496918075526025226?s=20&t=-tiV4lbuyAWZc-jnvjSkww