Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really never thought it was trying to do that though. It does make sense that Season 1 is more dour considering there is a war, and another arc mid-season involving the Mirror Universe which is not a fun place.

Season 2 looks like a soft-reboot of the show anyway. DS9 did the same thing but to a lesser extent.

Drum overlay Discovery theme in-bound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
The Kelvin timeline is finally dead.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...urce=reddit.com

"Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth ‘drop out’ of film"

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This situation is spurred on by the Federation again spying on pre-warp cultures using infiltrators (wildly breaking the Prime Directive) and initiating a comedy of errors, because it's impossible to write a story where the Prime Directive works as advertised.

You cannot adhere to both the Prime Directive and fulfill the catchphrase of the show; explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and civilizations. The mistake the show makes is to have a Prime Directive at all.

And yet we have Quark, whose value system is totally unaffected by Federation culture and economics even though he fervently practices capitalism, which is fundamentally incompatible and pointless. The Klingons remain a feudal Japanese society, very much despite the Federation.

Isn't Quarks big arc that he does slowly adopt Federation ideals, in fact most of his family become true believers of Federation ethics and morality with Rom becoming leader of the whole Alliance at the end. And the Klingons eventually lose their warrior race shtick and join the Federation by the 25th century according to Daniels. Regardless, influence on a stone age civ would be very different than to an advanced spacefaring one.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

jng2058 posted:

There's a goofy series of books that covers this very idea. It's post Dominion War, and Martok gets a bunch of captains together and sends 'em out the borders of the Empire, notably on the other side away from the Feds, to seek out new life, and new civilizations, and kick the poo poo out of 'em and conquer them for the Empire! I lost interest after the first book in part because the author insisted on taking nearly every Klingon with a name and a bit part in TNG and DS9 and putting them on the SAME SHIP, but I thought the basic idea was cute anyway.

Isn't taking every insignificant tv character and giving them a huge role how every Trek novel goes?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Timby posted:

Aron Eisenberg is like 50 years old and was so lovely with his money that he needed to crowdfund a kidney transplant a few years ago, I'm not surprised he looks off. Beyond that, it's not like Michael Westmore is working regularly anymore.

Did he make as awesome investments with his money as Dorn did buying a fleet of Fighter Jets?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I hear you all love the pointy edges of the Sovereign

https://trekmovie.com/2018/10/20/what-we-left-behind-doc-unveils-star-trek-deep-space-nine-season-8-starship/

https://twitter.com/DS9Doc/status/1053597350046941184

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I'm glad they're just using the IP tbh

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Horseman

quote:

Horseman was a fictional character created by Crewman James Anderson for Elizabeth Cutler's RPG game in 2151.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

MorgaineDax posted:

John de Lancie better announce he's in this Picard show soon, because he made a big deal on Twitter about his new email newsletter and how he had a big new project to announce and his list would be the first one to know so everyone should sign up right now!

So far it's been nothing but stories and photos about his sailboat adventures.

I ain't even disappointed because his stories are cool.

Sign me up for Picard and Q going on grizzled old man sailing adventures.

I thought the sailboat adventure was the big announcement.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, the Maquis conflict really just evaporates by the end of Caretaker. But in season one, they seem to be kinda sorta trying to stick to the premise while still doing the episodic thing.

Then they stop trying.

Then randomly bring it up throughout the show but by that point, a lot of viewers probably hadn't seen the pilot episode and have no clue why all they're favorite characters are now dressed in brown and point guns at people. I saw Endgame when it came out and didn't see Caretaker for at least 5 years after that.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

The last time it really comes up is in 'Worst Case Scenario', that mid-show episode where some crew members find Tuvok's secret security training program that he developed if the Maquis crew had ever mutinied and tried to take the ship. I actually like that one.

There's one near the end of the show where some Bajorian guy is chanting stuff at the start and it brainwashes the maquis to take over the ship, I can't really remember the plot well.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Are there any shows that spend the really big bux on anything episodic now?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The Orville

Every procedural crime show on CBS

Does CBS spend that much money on those?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Games of Thrones is up to like $10 million an episode and The West Wing was about $6 million so I guess Exec's just don't think episodic is what people want.

It's crazy ST: ENT was $1.6 million an episode but VOY and DS9 were $4 million.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/aloo8a/25_years_ago_today_beverly_fell_asleep_reading_a/

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Epicurius posted:

How are you going to get a complete Dominion withdrawal from the Alpha Quadrant within 26 hours of the ceasefire? The treaty also requires the Dominion and their allies to withdraw. The Breen arent a signatory, so I assume that there's a seperate treaty with the Breen? But, two problems. First, the Dominion can't bind themselves to Breen actions. They're allies, but the Breen still ha e seperate sovereignty. More importantly, the Breen are themselves an Alpha Quadrant power, so a complete military withdrawal by the Breen from the Alpha Quadrant seems tricky.

I'm also pretty sure that both the Klingons and Romulans are Beta Quadrant powers, not Alpha Quadrant ones.

I think they basically just forget the beta quadrant in DS9 as they only ever talk in terms of the Alpha quadrant throughout the war arc.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
He brought cake but still had to be a dick? What is it with Ricks

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
There was that Star Trek game that made the Gorn actually come from another universe/galaxy/dimension and were genocidal madmen who destroyed everything.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I tried to look that episode up but only got lists of when Big Bang Theory referenced Star Trek

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Death_Wish_(episode)

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
That episode freaked me out as a kid

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I'd still take 90's Eaves over whatever computer AI is designing the ships for Discovery.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Is there a USS Brexit

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/YMMV/TheGloveOfDarthVader

quote:

The bizarre reveal that after Jabba the Hutt died, the Tatooine government converted Jabba's palace to a retirement home.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Federation is a UN combined with an EU combined with a NATO.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

marktheando posted:

I mainly remember the whole bridge crew openly laughing in Trip's face for being impregnated without his knowledge or consent.

Peak Rick Berman.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

We're rewatching TNG, and just hit the episode where they rescue a bunch of cryogenically frozen old men from the present. At one point one of them makes a comment about Crusher and smacks her rear end on his way out, and her reaction is so much more :smith: when you know she was probably dealing with that off-set, too

gently caress

previous comment applies

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

skasion posted:

I really want Soren to appear in this show, and I don’t care if that doesn’t make sense.

Just make him appear like Liam Neeson in Batman 3

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Didn't the Xindi attack kill more people in Central America than in Florida lol

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Voyager got okay as soon as Seven came on board. Discovery is a much more entertaining show though.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
At least the cast and crew have fun making Discovery unlike the actors in Voyager being told to not act because it'll make the aliens seem more real.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
how can you not beam while the shields are up but you can shoot phasers (energy) and torpedos (matter) through them no problem

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Drone posted:

It works because it works.

Until it doesn't.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
If Starfleet would simply adopt a multple directional shield generator system they could drop a shield on one side of the ship while the enemy was on the other and do all the beaming they desired. Like in First Conta...

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

I'm six seasons deep into a DS9 rewatch and I'm just gonna have to admit.

I don't like the Mirror Universe episodes. There's just... something about the whole "Terrans are unscrupulous but nonetheless the good guys" set up that doesn't work for me. And Intendant Kira just comes off as cringeworthy most of the time.

STO takes the DS9 storyline and just goes "nah the Terrans were always and will be Hitler"

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Agnosticnixie posted:

Also unironically Voyager's unstated MU episode is probably the one that hits closest to the actual TOS Mirror episodes, but In a Mirror Darkly is the one that feels more fun even if it's cheap fanservice.

Living Witness?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Drone posted:

I mean, obviously Interplay doesn't exist anymore in that form, but I wonder if tweeting it at some of the people who worked on the project would result in anything. I mean, one would hope someone saved the data somewhere, but a poo poo ton of game stuff gets lost all the time because nobody cares about archiving anything.

Like, three of those cast members are dead, and hearing some new, never-before-released DeForest Kelley/James Doohan/Leonard Nimoy would be mindblowingly cool.

I'm pretty sure they got asked this years and years ago, I remember people being pretty obsessed with this game in the early 2000's.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Pick posted:

People around here tend to like later DS9 but imho the characterization, the best part, really began to flatten out. S3 is probably peak for everyone. Later it's like, Jadzia is Worfs Girlfriend, Dukats all over the place, Bashir sucks, it's like they have no idea what to do with anyone. Can't believe Kira stands by Her Man so much that she acts like Odo wasn't the most collaboratory collaborator who ever collaborated

Dukat went all over the place because the writers started to freak out that fans loved Space-Hitler.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
If S31 mostly exists on their starships then judging by the preview for next episode they're all dead so there won't be a push to rebuild them from the top brass and they will truly become their own thing.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
"My name is

KAHHhhaaAANN *teeth*"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Drone posted:

The 90s were weird, man.

Ye but that's what he looks like in 2019.