Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Brawnfire posted:

I agree Elnor was charming and welcome as a personality. I'd drop the whole sword elf angle and just make him a young Romulan coming to grips with what being Romulan means after everything that's happened to Romulus. Having him join the Federation was somewhat intriguing and I'd have liked to see more of one of the first Romulans in Starfleet after centuries of mistrust and tensions reaching an inflection point like that.

Yeah, the basic reboot of him we got in ep1 of s2 was exactly what I wanted. He's an earnest eager Starfleet cadet. This lasted roughly an episode, until he was back to beheading people again. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

If I had to guess it's because they used the rougher s1 model as a base instead of the progressively better show mod.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I mean if we're throwing our ideas for shows we wish had, my ideal new Star Trek would involve the Enterprise-F, after Voyager it's equipped with a quantum slipstream drive and it's main mission is to test another new piece of technology, a reverse engineered transwarp coil. It'd be the STO Odyssey class because I'm a fan of it's design, and it'd help explain why it's so big, it was made to be a self sustaining vessel with the transwarp gate's target being somewhere in the Alpha quadrant 10 years at max warp away, with the slipstream being the ship's option if it needs to go home.

Since it's intentional they can actually try and do diplomacy and make new friends of the Federation but it's far away enough that the only aliens from older shows we should see are like maybe the Breen, and I think the Breen are cool enough antagonists if you wanted to lean on older races. Anyway my other ask would be a Romulan in Starfleet and on the bridge, just because the Romulans are my favorite race and somehow Picard keeps doing them dirty.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Like the point of a lot of sci fi rules aren't necessarily to be consistent rules but so you understand that when they are broken its important.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Finally the Star Trek/Full Metal Alchemist cross over where Roy Mustang is chief of Starfleet.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

piratepilates posted:

I was watching a Voyager one the other day and its a freaky feeling, you start seeing past the TVitude and start seeing the reality of the sets and production.

I like it, it's a weird effect. For scenes with medium or wide shots where there's a bunch of people together in frame, it becomes even more like a stage play you're watching, instead of a TV show.

I mean I maintain that the best Trek episodes are just written and approached as stage plays instead of a tv show. That unreality doesn't bother me but then I'm a sicko who only watches TOS with the original effects.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I would say it's the cast, SNW still has the same dogshit writing as Disco, it's just they stumbled onto one of the most charismatic casts in TV. They managed to elevate the dogshit into watch-ability and occasionally even good.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I would prefer it to start with Narendra, and not to take place on an Enterprise, call it Ambassador or something and it follows the captain of the follow ship and all the politics of the Federation finally having a proper alliance with the Klingons and what that would look like. Plenty of intrigue and drama too since as Yesterday's Enterprise showed the Klingon's would've happily gone to war with the Federation regardless so it's not a done deal just because of the C's sacrifice. You know if we're doing a prequel series.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The galaxy in Star Trek is dense enough we absolutely do not need to ever leave it to still have great and interesting stories. Even the alpha and beta quadrants have plenty of entirely unexplored territory that could be filled in without resorting to old factions.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MikeJF posted:

That map actually dramatically overestimates the size of the Federation. It's actually more like

Click for very big version

The galaxy is loving huge

Oh I like that map even better. Thanks. And yeah one of the main things I've always loved of Trek is that it never tried to make the galaxy small (until nuTrek)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

knox posted:

I hate the Enterprise intro so much but at this point I let it play half the time and sing it "I've got (I've got, I've got)"

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endgame did get Janeway crossing wits with the only villain she hadn't yet, herself. So that was fun.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I pictured transwarp as a space catapult. You go in the gate and it shoots you at crazy speed, but you'd need another gate to get back. No idea if this is correct but that's always the image I had of it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'm sure it's to entirely avoid the fights between the people who like nuTrek and those who don't. Frankly the stuff in Picard is so dumb it genuinely makes me not care about the future of the franchise if Trek has to act like it's canon. Of course not even Picard treated Picard like what happened in it matters, so hopefully it will just be ignored and we will get a proper Enterprise-G one day.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sash! posted:

They probably have a standard vaccine you get for that in Starfleet boot camp.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I too feel the Romulans never got their due, but I also kind of think that's a good thing. I hated that they made secrecy a cultural trait. Just absolutely stupid. The Obsidian Order is also good at espionage but Cardassians aren't defined as sneaky. They leaned too much into just secrecy and never really grappled with the fact that Romulans should've been humans+. They are Vulcans without inhibitions so they should be grappling with their emotions in other ways than suppression, and the TOS portrayals hit that more than later.

I do like the Tal Shiar and how in TNG we experience them loving with the Federation constantly, but makes sense because they are constantly dealing with the spy agency. It just should've been a small part of a larger whole, even if you wanted to go with the Tal Shiar secretly running society....just like the Obsidian Order.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I always thought the Maquis made sense. They're exactly the sort of people who would leave post scarcity paradise to go be dirt farmers on some untamed planet. The weird part was why Starfleet officers defected in droves to them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

You'd think that, if Sisko's mission was to bring Bajor into the Federation, he'd at least get a diplomat or something. But it seems the Federation's negotiation strategy was to hang around in orbit and just hope the Bajorans would sign up.

Hell you think they would at least ensure the stations shields and guns were working. Or park a couple ships in orbit to discourage the hostile military power on the other side of the border. Or ensure that the computers were really wiped with no Cardassian backdoors.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah of the two, while BSGs highs are unbearably high the fall ruined it. I'll never rewatch it even the good parts, while I've rewatched Voyager plenty of times. In the end being the most 7/10 Teek possible means it's still...fine.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I wouldn't say BSG was 'drowning' in god poo poo. At least not for the first two seasons. It had a heavy play on drama and manipulation and the tension between could it be good or psychological damage. Revealing it was god was just completely awful to me and ruined what I did enjoy in those first two good seasons.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

CainFortea posted:

The first two seasons are only "not drowning in god poo poo" only in comparison to the rest of it. But the whole time the Cylons are waging a holy war.

The tagline for the show was "God has a plan for you" which was referenced in the first episode.

Yeah but they could've just been religious extremists. By those standards Stargate is also drowning in god poo poo. They were the villains. The god stuff is fine when it's on the villains side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Khanstant posted:

if we all have to pretend TOS and picard-prequel are canon, you can suck it up for SNW

I have spent well over two decades pretending the TNG movies are non-canon, you can't make me start now for three tv shows I don't like.

Also to go back to Dax, as a trans woman myself, I agree with everyone's take that she's not really trans, but like what Tolkein said about allegory, direct allegories only work in brief bursts, like a single episode here and there. So Dax just being applicable for the trans experience instead of allegory actually makes her strong. I mean DS9 showed that like full SRS is an outpatient procedure, and obviously the plastic surgery tech exists to make you look however you drat well want. Being trans wouldn't be painful or strange of an experience in Trek's future.

Kor meeting Jadzia owned and it was just great to see someone so accepting, doubly so because Kor is a Klingon and not part of the Federation who we would expect to be accepting. It's a lovely moment and what we wish we could get, but somehow the world has only gotten less accepting since even when I came out over a decade ago.