Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Similarly "It's life, Jim, but not as we know it" is from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE

Me mother who can't stand star trek or any science fiction really knew that Klingons were in Star Trek and were on the starboard bow thanks to this song. Its impressive when a song can influence popular culture like that. Especially a song about attached to this popular culture franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

According to NBC they never vetoed a woman first officer, they vetoed Majel Barret as a first officer because they really didn't like her acting. The claim that the studio wouldn't allow any woman to be first officer came from Gene when he was hitting the fan circuit really hard.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah the writer was awful, however the script apparently didn't state that they were black tribals, from colonial era postcards African inspired. That was the decision of the casting guy. It'd still be a terrible episode though even if the planet was diverse or full of white people with lumpy foreheads and I don't think she has the same excuse for the stargate episode.

You should read the casts reactions in the Memory Alpha article its refreshing to see that even at the time they recognise how awful it was.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I've been listening to a Trek podcast and they brought up the Engineer Argyle and his attempt to become a main character. I got curious and googled the actors name Biff Yeagor and he's done surprisingly well. He's not famous but he's had steady work from 1974 to the present day.

He's aged well too

What do you think guys, maybe we should start a writing campaign to get Yeager cast on Discovery? Fuller looks like he could use some tips.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Truly, its been a long road, getting from there to here...

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4KBPaS-1PU

This has probably been posted many times before but I'm not reading through 10 million star trek posts to verify that.

Well your wrong there, because even for these threads that was embarrassing rubbish. The bloke doesn't understand what Fascism is (seriously his definition is simply incorrect, aside from name checking Hitler and Mussolini there's nothing there that's unique to Fascism) he's also wrong about Fascists hating capitalism, they hated the effects of a society dominated by it. Fascist economics is based on class collaboration and uniting of labour and capital. Hitler really hated and distrusted financial capitalism but that was because he believed it was controlled by the Jews of Wall street. Fascist economics depended on big businesses and heavy industry to build their regimes. There were company owned workshops in the concentration camps so committed was the state to a partnership with private industry.

We also see plenty of occasions were property is owned privately in the Federation. Capitalism isn't built on money its built on the concept of private ownership of the means of production.

He's also being completely dishonest in his assertions about the show. We do actually see other view points beyond Star Fleet. DS9 was the best at it but even in TNG and TOS we saw the viewpoints of other races like the Klingons, Romulans and the Ferengi. Hell the seven season arc of TNG is humanity and its role in the Federation being judged by Q an alien being. Even Voyager tried to do this with its long running bad guys like the Kazon and the Borg.

Then there's the colonisation thing, he undermines himself by bringing up real world colonialism. That simply isn't how the Federation operates, we see plenty of episodes where the Enterprise comes upon primitive worlds and leaves them alone, but if they were like Europeans in Africa they'd love these worlds as they'd be the easiest to conquer and exploit. Also non Starfleet humans having their own ships was kindof a big part of early DS9, the Maquis were turning their civilian ships into a battle fleet and Sisko dated and married an independent freighter captain.

And ideology, all the evidence cited is incredibly generic collectivism, you may as well call team work a Fascist concept. The Fasces the bundle of sticks with an axe blade was the symbol of Italian Fascism, but they nicked it from Rome. Now despite Mussolini's constant bragging about building a new Roman Empire you'd have to be drunk to think the Roman republic was anything like Mussolini's Italy.

TL:DR its a good thing he put this up on youtube and didn't submit this as a paper because he would not get a good grade.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

cargohills posted:

Watching Datalore for the first time and the music is absolutely brilliant. I wish the music was like this more often.

For real, the music is one of the few strong points of the really rough first two seasons of TNG. I still remember the music set to the Yamato's destruction (also a pretty good effect) from series two, its just so good and distinct.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

WickedHate posted:

I wonder what it'd be like being a Star Trek fan in the 90s, when the franchise was at it's peak.

It was pretty great, the BBC had this sort of SF time slot most weekdays showing the various Trek series throughout the week. One would be after the Simpsons on Tuesday's. They also showed other SF shows, from the original Battlestar Galactica to Buck Rodgers and Quantam Leap. I can still remember watching the TNG episode with the Ferengi scientist on an old black and white dial in television in my Grandfathers kitchen in the Welsh hills in the dead of winter. I missed the beginning and thought they'd killed Quark!

There were toys in all the shops, videos of episodes and nearly all magazines had articles about the show regardless of the magazines audience. For all the buzz about how popular the JJ films are, the cultural impact just isn't comparable.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 28, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can't wait to see the "Planet of Al Queda Terrorists" episode in Discovery's 5th season.

Well TAS already had an episode about the galaxy being threatened by a Jihad.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The last evil fake gods they met (I keep thinking they were called the Pah wraiths but I know that isn't right) were pretty explicitly based on puritanical Christianity. They even had monks and a crusade.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Though Stargate did actually depict a currently worshiped deity as an alien menace.

This is Amaterasu the goddess of the sun, still a very important God in the Shinto religion. Take that Theologians!

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Duckbag posted:

I find interesting is it's never stated that the Cardies were more culturally or technologically advanced than the Bajorans (the whole solar sail thing seemed to prove the opposite), rather they seem to have just been more aggressive, numerous, and perhaps, better organized. In some ways, the Cardies are more like the Nazis or Soviets in Europe than they are like "classic" colonialists.

What?

In duet, Dukat explicitly states that Cardassia was at least a century more advanced in every way when they discovered the Bajorans. This is basically his entire justification for the occupation to Sisko.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Apollodorus posted:

That's in Waltz. Duet is where Kira learns not to hate spoonheads any more.

Waltz, duet, foxtrot, tango, I don't Watch star wars to be reminded of my two left feet god damit!

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 2, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

As an android, I can not emote as it is not part of my programming. Anyway, y'all wanna go hang out in the holodeck? It's super fun, I love it.

When I rewatched TNG it hit me that they probably should of revealed that he does have emotions, but because he's not human he doesn't feel or express them in the same way and since Data's standard for comparison was humanity he just didn't realise. But instead in Brothers we get the emotion chip and Sung being a weird recluse, who also didn't care that one of his `sons` killed all his neighbours.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Subyng posted:

I always thought it was supposed to be intentionally ambiguous. Data sometimes reacts as if he does have emotions, but is that because he is programmed to feel that way or because he genuinely feels that way? Of course you can ask the same question about people too. I'm the only one in the universe that I know for sure feels emotions; there is no way to prove that everyone else isn't just a highly sophisticated robot emulating the pattern of emotions.

So the real answer to whether Data has emotions or not, is whether he believes that he does, or not. Asking if he really does have emotions is the same as asking if any person really has emotions. It's impossible to truly know.

Yeah its a total mystery... if your a sociopath, or a paranoid narcissist you think your in West World meets the Truman Show. I just buried my step father who committed suicide, I have had ample proof that other human beings feel emotion in the past week alone and so have you, no matter how hum drum your week has been. Stop trying to be deep you obnoxious prat.

Cojawfee posted:

Which Borg two parter?

Seems pretty obvious he's talking about the Descent,

I mean come on dude.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Subyng posted:

I'm not "trying to be deep" you big dummy. It's basic philosophy, which also happens to be a central theme of Data's character. Can a machine be conscious (and by extension feel emotions) and how would we know?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_of_other_minds

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

Solipsism can be extended to the idea that you can't be sure that anything outside your mind (ie the entire universe) exists. This commonly takes the form of "what if you're just living in a simulation? How would you know for sure?" Again a very common theme in sci fi, and the moriarty episode touched on that as well.

Yeah citing philosophy isn't a defence of anything. Slavery is a philosophical concept, indeed its the backbone of Aristotle's concept of human civilisation, should I respect that too? If you can't defend something on its own merits pointing to its popularity amongst philosophy departments won't help you.

The Panopticon was an interesting philosophical exercise which shows up in SF from time to time too. It's still functionally useless since the experiment is both impractical and we've already seen that people will publicly defy authority even in the knowledge that they will be discovered and punished. Oh and again slavery.

I'm well aware of Solipsism, I'm guessing you aren't because what I wrote was the most obvious rebuttal to that particular form of naval gazing. One you've completely failed to rebut. If you can only be certain of your own thoughts and feelings then why are you doubting them? Solipsism is fundamentally contradictory and functionally useless. If my only tools for interpreting the world are my own inherent capabilities then I must accept what they're telling me without question, because I have no certainty to base that doubt. So no, I stand by my statement you have had plenty of evidence that other people exist and experience emotions every bit as deeply and distinct as you do. So no your not a Solipsist your just being intellectually contrarian.

Or you are a sociopath who is incapable of empathy, or so narcissistic you don't consider other people as equal to yourself.

And no Data is not an example of Solipsism, the Moriarty episodes were but not Data. At what point was he even hinted at being the only real entity in the show? The crux of Data's character was that his idolisation of humanity curbed his confidence and ability to act as his own individual and distinct life form. In every episode he experiences something new for the first time, his first impulse is to run to the computer and read up on what other species and cultures do, and then he learns to come up with his own way of doing things. That's individualism and the concept of difference not Solipsism because he always values the ideas and opinions of others. It could've been the foundation for a Solipsist story if Data learned little by little to stop relying on others, gradually became the main and eventually sole focus of the show and All Good Things Ended with the revelation that the Enterprise was a ship in a bottle, and Data was the only "real" thing about it. TNG as Saint Elsewhere, not surprised they didn't go in that direction myself.

If anything Beverly was the Solipsist main character with the episode Remember Me, or Troi with all the times her memories were messed with by telepath aliens. Or Wesley with the Traveller, or Picard with those times he was duplicated, or Riker for those times Aliens messed with his head, or even Barclay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Disinterested posted:

Were you attacked by a philosophy professor as a child?

???? Uh no? The bedrock of philosophy is the ability to demonstrate critical thinking, like most of what I've written is pretty basic philosophical criticism. I think your confusing philosophy with a cult.

Edit: Something I've noticed in my TNG rewatch is that for all the trouble TNG had with romance and comedy it really nailed creepy terror. Even the lame duck Royale had a really creepy vibe at the beginning and the reveal of the skeleton. And Conspiracy was really gory. Makes me wonder what Trek horror movie would've been like.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 14, 2016