Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

As cool as that teaser video is (I'm not watching PIC so I don't have an idea what it's referencing beyond Generations), I have really mixed feelings about deepfaking actors into movies. This seems to be done more respectfully than Carrie Fisher in Rogue One, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yeah, if they had put words in Spock's mouth that might have come across more cheesily/badly than what we got. I don't have a problem with the Roddenberry Project, but bringing back long-dead celebrities for new movies in general I'm not as sure about.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

^ That's perfect!

If Kermit is going to be Kirk, then by Muppet logic shouldn't Piggy be Gillian? That would be perfect during the "not the hell your whales" scene.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

MrData posted:

What the..how is everyone's mind not collectively exploding right now over https://roddenberry.x.io/ ?

This is insane. You can walk around on ALL the bridges. This is the Captain's Chair CD-ROM from the 90's in turbo-overdrive. It looks like some kind of video streaming they are using, like Google Stadia?

I wasn't aware it existed until you posted. So thanks!

I might have said this before: Voyager's bridge is weird. The TOS, TNG and DS9 (Defiant) bridges have a 'flow' to them, but Voyager's bridge has weird nooks and crannies that make it seem like the floor of a modernistic skyscraper. It's my least favorite design.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Knormal posted:

I can only find the Enterprise bridges, and pivot around from a single point. There's other ships and you can move around the bridge? How the hell do you navigate that site?

At the bottom you can hold your mouse button and slide the timeline for more ships. Took me a second to figure it out too.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Knormal posted:

Yeah I got that, but it's just Enterprises. Is the Defiant and Voyager on there somewhere I'm missing?

I don't remember seeing the Defiant, but Voyager is at the very end under 'Other Ships'.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This might be of interest for some in the thread: while browsing Barnes and Noble this morning, I found a nice hardback coffee table book celebrating Voyager. For all the talk of DS9 being the "redheaded stepchild" of Trek, Voyager is often the forgotten series.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Knormal posted:

smoking in the nacelles or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxYy4rMXU1U

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

dr_rat posted:

Are we 100% the town isn't actually a tiny town for ant's and they are in the middle of it -and sort of standing on it, and that creator just unrelated?

Also yeah, seems like a transport officer has a lot of control to be jerks to people they don't like. Say always transporting them half a foot of the ground or always transporting their socks half a meter away from their feet every time.

People should really of been much nicer to O’Brien.

Piss off Miles and you may end up like this:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Mr. Crusher, roll that beautiful bean footage."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Who knew that Trump already resembled a future step in mankind's evolution?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

TOS Klingons were barely more than a "sneaky Orientals" stereotype; especially early on. It's a tribute to Colicos' acting that he was able to put in a great performance that avoided making Kor one-note.

e: Also William Campbell (Koloth) and Michael Ansara (Kang). There's a reason they're the "big three" Klingon commanders in TOS and why no one remembers the other Klingons in the series.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 9, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

zoux posted:

Capts. Shaw and Sisko enraged by another NNYT puff piece rehab of a literal warcriminal

MattY Glesias' egg head would survive in a jar until the 24th century so that he could trot out opeds like "The Borg want to assimilate us. We should let them. Why losing individuality is a good thing in 24th century neocapitalism".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 9, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

davidspackage posted:

Small purple bug creatures are crawling down your throat and subsuming your personality, turning you into a conspirator to overrun the Federation. Here's why that's a good thing.

"Commander Remmick said that the neural parasites sought peaceful coexistence. We should have heard them out so that they could tell their side of the story instead of murdering them!"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"Computer, begin search: Worf gently caress ups."

code:
16,224 entries found

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 14, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

MikeJF posted:

I like it when Beverly gets something to do because she often becomes a bit of an unstoppable force. If she gets it into her head she needs to do something, she'll go for it, drat the torpedoes. She's extremely persistent. And she's the character that always has absolutely zero truck with any 'oh maybe we need to do something slightly morally grey here'. She knows what's right and what's wrong and she'll tell you.

It's really a missed opportunity that they didn't make more use of her with those traits, they're stuff you could've very easily built more episodes around.

Beverly was one of the only members of the senior staff in I, Borg who was willing to point out how insane it was to develop a Borg genocide plan. Even Troi, iirc, didn't say anything; only Beverly was speaking up to say, "This is hosed up, guys".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

zoux posted:

Emissary might as well be "Ozymandias" when compared to Farpoint. I think it's probably the best pilot of the 4 series.

Easily, though Where No Man Has Gone Before is probably the best of TOS' three pilots (The Cage, Where No Man and The Man Trap).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I hate every empath I see, from Beta-ay to Beta-zee. You'll never make a monkey out of me.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Every time I watch VI I joke to myself that the above picture is the "Scotty cut one in an enclosed space in Engineering" scene.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

I didn't hate it for the finale, I did hate it for how gloomy it was at all, well most, of the time. The setting was very good, but after certain amount of time you really burn out on the "this good thing... was actually a really bad thing" -writing repeated over and over and over again. And yes I know that its basically Ronald D. Moore's "thing".

That's a good way of putting it. One reason I've really taken to Babylon 5 so well is that it's never felt like a slog as BSG did. B5 has gone to some pretty dark (literally) places but there are a lot of breaks from the doom-and-gloom where you get glimpses of hope. That makes it more satisfying to watch (imo).

Also, I think B5's way of introducing intrigue/mystery that keeps viewers wanting to learn more has been better than BSG's, quite frankly.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 23, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

zoux posted:

The most I've ever been excited for an Star Trek is Generations ._.

Well, I hope this time your excitement turns out better.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Unnatural Selection? No, I don't agree with that one. It's not a great episode but it's hardly unwatchable. Nor do I agree with Pen Pals, though TNG's interpretation of the Prime Directive always sucked poo poo.

I'd amend that list to toss both of them and add The Dauphin and The Icarus Factor. Both are two of the most boring, nothing episodes of TNG's entire run.

e: Reading comprehension.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 26, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Beeftweeter posted:

i like it well enough too, just not enough to go on my list of stuff i'd watch on heavy rotation. i guess it's a bit too similar to "the deadly years" but i don't really have any specific complaints about it beyond the resolution (using a hair with the transporter to mash a reset button is a bit meh)

Same. There's a distinction between 'unwatchable, embarrassing garbage' like And The Children Shall Lead or The Way to Eden or Code of Honor, and then there's 'fine, but not something I'd sit down to watch' like Unnatural Selection.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 26, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

By the end of the season, Pulaski had grown in respect for Data and even encouraged him when he had a crisis of confidence in Peak Performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Star Trek has been going on long enough now that canon can be whatever you want it to be.