Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Baka-nin posted:

This reminds me of an anecdote from a writer on one of the many Trek related interviews I've seen. Gene chewed him out over a script proposal because "you don't know the difference between shields and deflectors!"
Considering how often the Deflector array is used like a giant transmitter/antenna, I'm not sure a lot of people actually cared about the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gau posted:

At one point Riker comments that a ship's laser weapons "wouldn't even penetrate our navigational deflector." Go ahead and explain to me how that works.

The navflector can divert High Energy photons, radiation, and microparticulates so they're basically strobing the Enterprise D with a CD drive diode.
:goonsay:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Payndz posted:

This is basically how Kirk gets and keeps command in the new films. Because the writers are either dumbasses who believe that someone being told "you're in charge until I get back" means they instantly get promoted from (ungraduated) cadet to captain and stay there, or are contemptuous enough of their audience to think they believe that.
FIELD PROMOTION :gowron:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Frames directed the reboot remake of THUNDERBIRDS if I remember correctly.

Tasha Yarr was in Pet Sematary and maybe one other thing and people realized she has crazy eyes so that didn't pan out.

LeVar Burton was Kunta Kinte and still does Reading Rainbow stuff.

Data just released his role as Crazy Schlubby Scientist in ID: Resurgence. He's done some VO work (notable for being possibly the worst Joker ever but nothing great).

Gates MacFadden and Marina Sirtis just disappeared pretty much. (Sirtis did Gargoyles VO work like 99% of the TNG cast).

Wesley Crusher died on the way to his some dimension. He was cloned but the process inserted a bunch of junk DNA so instead of the Adonis we saw when Q aged him, he turned into Neckbeard Prime. He brews beer at home and spazes out over hockey a lot.

Note that The Big Bang Theory is basically the TNG Old People's home much in the way that Gargoyles was the TNG Let's Take a Daycation to San Diego.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 4, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

remusclaw posted:

Gates was one of the choreographers in Labyrinth before doing Next Gen.
I remembered she had some kind of dance background but wasn't sure if she had trained under Fossé or something.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fall Sick and Die posted:

I mean her tits are poo poo!! She must be wearing some kind of 24th century wonderbra, if people only like her or give her jobs based on her chest, then it's little wonder she's disappeared.
Computer, design a Bra that would give me rocking tits.
:Sounds of LCARS crashing:

alternately
Computer, design a Bra that would give me rocking tits.

UNABLE TO COMPLY. PLEASE SPECIFY A CHOICE BETWEEN PROGRAMS 'RYKER-EPSILON-69' AND 'LAFORGE-ALPHA-29-DELTA-37'

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 4, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The only way you would have known about Stewart would be if you were some kind of New York City richmans that went to off-broadway productions.

So no, not a single person in the fandom would have been aware of him.

Forgot about Whoopi. I guess Jumpin' Jack Flash was out by then.

Also, didn't someone say Dorn made a shitload of money by investing in Fuddruckers when it was getting off the ground? That's how he can afford all his planes and stuff, not the Trek residuals.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't that to cover that Roxann Dawson was pregnant?
Yuuuup.

I think that pregnancy caused the writers to sideline her development a lot.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Evek posted:

For a second I thought you said "Chakotay hotboxes aliens". Probably would have been better.

Use my peyote disc.

Akoochimoya dude.

Also threshold is bad because rapid evolution wouldn't make him breathe Ammonia randomly, and the concept of Warp Infinity that lets you occupy all points in time being a dumb engineering question (that Neelix of all people figures out) instead of some thermodynamic/infinite energy barrier is dumb.

Also you give the Voyager a get home now card early in the series' life which is just boring and you know can't be used because of flimsy plot reasons. Just like that wormhole by the Ferengi planet that they wait too long to get into because prime directive and poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Most important ever?

What is this, Axanar?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Duckbag posted:

Troi takes a test and somehow becomes a senior bridge officer, despite being, you know, Troi.

that the federation built a cloaking device that can pass through solid rock (but won't build normal ones)

Data has a fake mom
Troi's leadership episode was good, because there was still "LOL a WOMAN in charge" sexism around that episode was all about her making the hard choice. It also delineates her experiences as a counselor and as a senior crew member: she can't be the ship buddy friend if she's in the chain of command.

I liked the secret cloaking device because not only were the feds being shady as gently caress and possibly destabilizing the Romulan nonaggression pact, they also catastrophically hosed it up while also creating a device potentially more powerful than they anticipated.

Datamom was a Lal rehash, but at least he wasn't running around with faux-incan forehead hats and poo poo.

These are my bad TNG opinions, gomen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Generations is a poorly lit, meandering story that relies on an Oops I Can Fix This mechanic to get the True Ending.

First Contact is a decent zombie action movie with trek bolted on.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Jjkirk weaponized the gently caress out of that but of debris though. That's way cooler.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bush V Gore is the fulcrum point. That's when we veer headlong into AltBad Timeline.

I can't really think of any thing before that which would start the dominoes falling, though. I posit that Hanging Chads are a symptom of the Badmess, but not necessarily a product of an earlier temporal fuckup. More than likely, the Zero point at the heart of Bush V Gore reverberated outwards in both +Time and Time- reference spaces.

I have a strong suspicion that bitch Leslie cheating on me and then dumping me in 10th grade also has something to do with it. I need to gather more evidence for that though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Threadmasters, perhaps you can tell me about this game I saw someone play in my school library's mac around 1994.

It was a top-down StarTrek, with either the TOSprise or Galaxyprise, in kind of a faux 3D gourad shading color. Warped around, dropped people off at planets, used phasers or torps.

Can't for the life of me remember a name though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nessus posted:

Was it kind of turn based? Did you have to go to a starbase to reload and stuff? I think similar games have been around for a long while, though the graphics have steadily improved. Not so much now, of course.
Not turn based, but I think there were starbases or whatnot along with planets.

It wasn't quite like the DOS games from back whenabouts.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cojawfee posted:

It was lame because the viewscreen is already holographic. Your perspective into the other ship changes based on from where you view your screen.
Yeah, but because we never got a shot that tracked across the bridge that followed the viewacreen, the audience hardly ever remembered that

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wikkheiser posted:

The best bridge design:

Word.

I used to play this with a relative. Im the one that figured out how to synthesize the Vulcan/Romulan Pox cure :smug:

When I got a Mac, I bought it and promptly got stuck at the puzzle at the end of the first world. My parents were out an additional $25 for the Player's Guide.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cojawfee posted:

How was the battle controlled in the very beginning of the game? My sisters and I played it once and I remember we had trouble getting past that. I have a feeling it's something really easy and we were just retarded kids.
If you didn't have a mouse it was the Numpad for direction, space for photons and something like enter for phasers. You had to hit W and S at the moment the fight started to arm the weapons and raise shields.

You also wanted to set engines to 4-7 and occasionally ~ to reverse impulse so you wouldn't be a sitting duck. If your shields started going brown, a shot of E would give you Emergency Powah. T would bring up Tactical which would show you damage on the enemy ship.

Strategy-wise you didn't want to get into a head-on fight unless you'd weakened the ship first. Mostly it's flying around trying to come at the enemy at a WoK vector to pound their aft shields.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What's with the dumb use of Voyager long toilet-seat saucers?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You sick gently caress

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A lot of that is way better than vanilla Voyager. Tuvok's bitchy boredom, Janeway's hair, Cha'ko;tay's weird "My people are pacifists I WANT to HELP YOU but the Doctor will scramble your brains so make it quick", the random Kazon crewmember.

And then Neelix is a uniformed ensign just fucks it all up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Met posted:

There was a line where they accused Voyager of rampaging through the quadrant and assimilating people into their war machine.
Pressganging a bunch of Nistrim losers who got their fudge pounded by superior Fed firepower is cool. Likewise for taming 7ofDrone and having her rule over a little Borg militia is pretty cool.

Forcing a space-pedo into the senior bridge crew, not so much.

Also, you defended Neelix you monster. You're worse than The Trekposter That Shall Not Be Named

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaz-L posted:

Kinda. Jellico isn't an rear end in a top hat so much as he is really incompetent. The man had to resort to threatening to murder hundreds to actually achieve his goal because if he'd been negotiating like he allegedly was assigned to, he would've started a goddamn war.
He was a hardass that wouldn't accept an alternate viewpoint, so he had Riker committed to his quarters and made the autist yes-man his Second in Command. He's the boss that walks up to your desk and orders you to delay your lunch an hour or two because a Very Important Project Needs Doing Now, then has your reorder the filing cabinet. He's also drat lucky the nebulaships weren't just skimming plasma or exotic space-gas because then he would have started a war and probably murdered a bunch of foreheadian gas-farmers .

(I really, really hate Data in command red in that episode. It just looks so wrong, and I'm almost certain his coat wasn't fitted to him anyway).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This seems to generally be because the weapon arrays on starships are so overwhelming that maneuverability is meaningless. Dennis Okuda wrote in a Star Trek Encyclopedia that the Enterprise-D can fire on 30 different targets simultaneously.
Fighters should just be drones in overwhelming numbers. Just a swarm of lovely disposable photon torpedo bombers meant to overload the targeting systems and just batter the gently caress out of shields.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
When DS9 was on, I always figured it was a slightly-bigger runabout because its bridge holds, like, 5 people. I thought it was a super-secret stealth supership kind of dealie.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Trek fighters should be rear end in a top hat barges like the Goonsquad swarm.

"Captain, 45 light shuttles have just dropped out of warp ... Wait, they're all dumping tetrion radiation. Shields and sensors are down."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This story is the gift that keeps on giving. I really hope Discovery references the battle of Axanar, just to rub salt in the wound.
I hope it's more like
Axanar was the Federation's biggest failure. They put a man in charge of something he had no business meddling in. We don't speak about it anymore.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I dunno about 'fan favorite', but yeah, it certainly would have been better received earlier in the season.
It wouldn't be a fan favorite because it's just an awkward Fat Riker fanboying over this holonovel. It's like that jerk-off fake time traveller that steals Data tut-tutting in the corner. "Hmm. Picard at command! Picard at Tevris Delta! Hmmm hmmmm"

I get what the aim was, with interweaving the stories, but gently caress they could have done it with a time capsule, or some space anomaly or just about anything other than a holodeck for gently caress's sake.

Cutting off before Arch gives his big hero speech is just the last bit of gently caress you, too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cojawfee posted:

Why were the Kazon around for so long? They were so primitive, how could their reach be that far?
Same way that tinpot warlords can hold a country. Space is big and they just have to be jerks.

Kazon's were pretty much Delta Quadrant Klingons, and I can never quite believe that their tech is so much better than Voyager's. At least the Hirogen were like super hunter Predator fucks. The Kazon just fought amongst the scraps.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"Live Turkeys!"

My wife actually, independently, started a watch through of TOS Saturday morning, because it's on out MeTV affiliate Saturdays before SvenGoolie.

She said she wanted to check out how the series started and developed.

She was quite puzzled that they had two "Crewmember exhibits godlike power" episodes in a row. I told her to start counting how many times they defeat a computer with a faulty logic game.

"I hate you, but I love you more"
:monocle: error error error errrrorrrrrrrr

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Voyadouble episode is fairly milquetoast until the Vidiians get on Voyager and start OrganJacking people left and right, like some terrible BioBorg plague.

Like holy poo poo is that dark.

Moore's comments on the hollowness of the series especially ring true with the Tuvix episode and the one where the Doc has a cascading choice failure because he lets the one crewmember die instead of HKim. You literally have a sentient being begging for his life in one, and in the other you have a sentient being grappling with depression and the enormity of choice. Both wrap up just when the moral questions get too heavy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Trent posted:

Like the battle room from Ender's Game but with lacrosse sticks or something instead of laser guns.
There's like a pyramid and a ramp so it's probably a TeamFortress map with an Aztek ziggurat in the middle and a slide off to the sides and a Snitch flies out and you position yourself along the place to batter it with your ION MALLET and cause it to slide up a scorehoop but if you're athletic you can parkour your way up the side of the ramp and bat that bug offa the loving place.

BRB guys totally working on a Qpak/HLmod for this poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

There are people today who rewatch Super Bowls and Stanley Cup playoffs. Why wouldn't someone watch an awesome World Series match on the holodeck?
When milimeter-wave scanners are at all public places, we can have a perfect holo-record of any event.

"Hey look man, if you zoom into this section at the right time index, you can see this tampon fall out while the bartended gets railed in the private luxuriobox"
:eyepop:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

T.C. posted:

The scene that exists with her is 90% meaningless bullshit technobabble. It's hilarious that the first shooting day they started off with something that is literally just the actors trying to sell terrible dialogue before they're given a chance to actually act.
The little featurette I saw of her bit was also missing the Treksounds. Which is amazing to me, that people can get through De-Ionizing the Warp Coil Manifolds using a Level 3 Baryometric Sweep without the sound greebles around.

It all sounds so sterile without the FX.

sunday at work posted:

The thing that really bugs me about that approach to techno babble is that it would have been easier to just spend an hour or two laying down same basic rules in the show bible and then inserting them into the scripts instead of making something up whole sale each time.

Time fuckery: chronoton particles
Warp drive related: subspace and or tachyons
Something bad is happening: reverse the polarity
I mean, if you watch enough VOYs1 you kind of do get some consistency.

Annular Confinement Beam is Teleporter AoE poo poo. Gravimetric is some curvature of space gravity bullshit. Biogenic is some neural energy field bullshit.
The rest is usually bullshit made up to give the plot some meaning or menace.
"Captain, their weapons are emitting theta-band radiation. Our sensors are useless!" "B'Elanna, can we use the deflector array to deploy a modular radiogenic pulse? That might--" "Cause runaway Theta decay! They'll be lit up like Christmas trees!"

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 25, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I like to think Paris puttering around with :smug: internal combustion mechanics :smug: has some of that Treknobabble going on.

"I just don't get it Neelix, everything I try just makes the car go slower"

"We had a problem like that on Talaxian RefugeShip #277... As I recall, the commander decided to jettison some extra weight. About 50 bowls of Leeola Root smoothies later, the entire crew was at least 10 lbs lighter each!"

"Hey wait a minute... if I reroute the gasolinotic lines through the central carbobulator--"

"It might produce enough pressure to aerate the main Gofastium drive!"

"Yeah. I'll have to reinforce the lubricator array with rarified Pennzoilium, but this might just work"

//later//

"Alright, time to start this baby u--"

//Holocar explodes//

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, I'd say the turning point for their relationship comes in Scorpion. It's a pretty solid two-parter (certainly by Voyager standards, anyway), so I don't want to ruin it for you, but be on the look out for the way it "resolves" the tension that comes up between them.
And then it's revisited in Equinox!!!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh Jesus, I just watched The Menagerie P.1 and the Starbase11 shuttle has PICASSO printed across its front like some lovely Mac OS7 add-on from 1996.

Shuttlecraft ... Now with Intel inside!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PenguinKnight posted:

Finished up season 3 of TNG. Locutus of Borg shouldn't have been over in a two parter. it's such a neat concept to just be done with it immediately.
On the one hand yeah, though I can't imagine the writers were confident enough to shake the status quo up that much and leave Ryker in charge for too long. Trying to track down Locutus/foil the cube would have meant making the Borg less of a threat.

On the other hand, you try watching BoBW part 1 then sitting around all summer wondering what the gently caress was going to happen arggghhhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm frankly surprised we haven't seen a BoBW alternabook where Data is Borges