Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

skasion posted:

Locutus isn't a commander, he's a mouthpiece, as his name implies.

Wow, that's been sitting in front of me for 25 years and I never caught that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Railing Kill posted:

ENT, on the other hand, could stand to change. I am limping toward the end of season one. There's just so few characters I'm interested in. Archer is aggressively uninteresting, which is a remarkable thing to so with an actor like Scott Bacula since he's pretty good at mild comic acting. Maybe he's just too mild-mannered to be a badass spaceship captain. My wife keeps saying, "I don't want to salute that man. I want to give him a hug."

I think the thing that makes the show uncomfortable to watch for me is witnessing Scott Bakula basically struggling to figure out what the gently caress he is supposed to be doing practically every single moment. I really sense him discovering on camera that the writers didn't know what to do with his character the entire run.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

RE: the discussion of FC bridge and uniforms:

The thing is with First Contact is that all the design changes were made to fit the needs of telling that specific movie's story: gothic colors, sharp angles, nooks and crannies for action/drama shots, etc.

The bridge set doesn't make a lot of sense from a floorplan perspective, but really the point was to just be able to set up less cinematically boring shots than they could have with the old TNG set. (Directors like Nick Myer really hated the circular bridge concept because of how limiting it was from a composition standpoint.)

I think the whole aesthetic of FC works well for that film, but is awkward to look at when used in other stories like Insurrection or the TV shows.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

WickedHate posted:

I'm 100% sympathetic I just think that watching DS9, I never really noticed a change in Bashir between pre-reveal and post-reveal.

I don't get why just because a guy is a super genius it has to invalidate the character choice that he was also a spazzy young annoying dork.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

Are those the actual proportions of nu-trek ships? The nacels look so top-heavy or the supports so spindly. There's something about all the designs in nu-trek like they looked up some ancient secret geometry on how to make things look terrible through bad and unnatural proportions.

I get the impression that the JJ ships were never meant to look good as conventional models because the filmmakers never really wanted to do the beauty shot thing with them to begin with. They're meant to have super-exaggerated features that pop out at you like a cartoon when you shoot them from crazy angles and I think they serve that purpose really well. It's just when you get a good look at the whole ship from a flat angle that it looks like a turd.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

lordlimpet posted:

I thought it may have been as much but then thought, this is too obvious.

My friend is watching most of Star Trek for the first time, dipping in here and there between looking after his daughter. My friend and I have recommended a random smattering of films and episodes from assorted series but were wondering if watching things in order wasn't particularly available what you'd recommend. I've avoided DS9 because I feel that it requires a bit more engagement than a snatched moment and we've limited ourselves to TOS and TNG. He really enjoyed WoK, Darmok, Taste of Armageddon and even enjoyed the first half of Encounter at Farpoint. Was wondering if you guys recommended anything in particular for this haphazard style of viewing?

Measure of a Man, Doomsday Machine

EDIT: If you mean DS9, though, Duet and the Visitor of course will always be recommended. I always thought that The Jem'Hadar, One Little Ship, To the Death, and the one with the "Sanctuary Districts" were good self-contained episodes "outsiders" could enjoy.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 4, 2016

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

WickedHate posted:

I think he was right to an extent. It was probably for the better there be at least one Gene's Vision guy on staff to at least keep it rooted in Star Trekisms, for better and for worse, or else it really could have been any sci-fi show.

Agreed. While the Roddenberry rules (utopia, no human conflict, etc.) are a flawed idea, I respect the guys that tried to roll with it and see what kinds of unique stories the limitation could create rather than whining all the time that they can't write like every other drama.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Good lord the end of "Gambit" is dumb. Everyone is able to instantly not think angry thoughts in the middle of a tense situation. Picard might as well have told them to stop thinking about elephants.

Roddenberry as gently caress

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Q Who? Oh, That Guy.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Datadata

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Way of the Golden State Warriors

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The Satin Curtain

The Obsolete Computer

Wolf on the Shirt

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I, Bjorn Borg

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Star Trek V: The Final Front Yard

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Star Trek III: The GPS Directions to Spock's House

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Star Trek IV: The Bus Ride Home

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The Wrath of Chaka Khan!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

A Glass Fell Over on Deck 12

Upper Deckers

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I don't even know why there is a discussion about why Voyager is the most gay. I mean, just watch it. It's got high heels, prissy male characters, camp value out of the wazoo.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

to boldly go where gnome man has gone before

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Timby posted:

They're looking for a cure for the Tarsus IV crop blight.

Huh. I think you are onto something. The creators have been teasing that the show would focus on some bit of unexplored cannon history never seen on-screen.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Timby posted:

I was really only joking, since the timeline doesn't match up (Discovery is ten years before TOS, but the Tarsus IV massacre was 20 years pre-TOS).

If you count "The Cage" as the start of TOS, it matches up.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

This new show isn't even going to have Kirk and Spock! I've written it off as a total trainwreck.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

WickedHate posted:

I'm not sure if gay culture can really survive into a setting like the Federation depicts. It's whole deal is being separated and isolated from mainstream culture, but as gays become more and more accepted it'd just be absorbed into the mainstream.

In typical Star Trek fashion, our gay character will be an expert on and collector of memorabilia from 21st Century Gay Culture, and when confronted about being a living anachronism he will go into lengthy diatribes about the proud traditions and struggles of of his Gay ancestors.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I think I screwed up somewhere

That's not how you draw dignity.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Astroman posted:

That's gonna be a huge problem for Discovery, setting it when they did. Star Trek can never resist crossing characters over, and there's a shitload of people who will still be alive from Enterprise or TOS in this era, many of whom should be prominent. Their absence will be more odd.

I'm pretty sure that's a BIG reason they set it when they did. They want to do the Gotham sort of thing where every so often there's some sort of hype about "it's going to be the first appearance of [famous character]!"

My prediction is season 1 will go by relatively free of this, then if they ever make it to season 2 it will be non-stop with "Young James T Kirk!""Young Spock!"

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 20, 2016

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Pieces of Peace posted:

Didn't Brent Spiner do that about once a season? He even played multiple characters who didn't look perfectly identical in the Soong episode.

Well, it was the first time they all weren't supposed to look like the same person.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

The West Wing was supposed to be a show about the Communications Department of the White House, with Rob Lowe as the main character. However after a couple seasons it drifted to Martin Sheen and the Presidency. I would also watch Star Trek: Lower Decks, but it would be hard for average viewers to not know what was happening on the bridge.

*entire ship shakes*
"What happened?"
"I'm not sure, I hope the Chief Engineer tells us at our 2130 gamma shift engineering staff meeting. Might be a war with a new race. Say, have you seen a crate of self-sealing stem bolts in this cargo bay? Astrometrics is overhauling the lateral sensor array."
*all non-trekkie viewers fall asleep*

I bet within a few episodes it's a bridge show and the Lt. Commander character is, like, unexpectedly in command or something.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

According to Memory Alpha, there's plenty of times people bring up root beer as a Federation drink, either earnestly (Quark wishes the humans were back so that he could sell the stuff, for example) or mockingly (as a Klingon does to someone he feels isn't Klingon enough).

You said it yourself, other folks drink other things. More realistic things than root beer.

I went out of my way to drink a loving root beer last night.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

having another root beer right now. It's great.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

He also said his favorite is "The Boring One" (TMP), which earned him points in my book.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

I kinda wish I was in the alternate universe where Shatner didn't get budgetarily screwed making Star Trek V, having read a bunch about it in the 50 Year Mission book and elsewhere.

Good odds that it would still be terrible, but sometimes people talk about things that they had to throw away for budget reasons, and it just seems interesting.

Given Shatner's capacity for delusion and the Roddenberry-esque (not in a good way) nature of the the plot (Enterprise finding God in the center of the galaxy), it's hard to imagine how it couldn't have been a a total trainwreck, but I do wish it could have been a more spectacular, dramatic, and ambitious one.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

cenotaph posted:

I really wish they would let Vulcan and Romulan women have long hair again. T'Pol looked so much better with the long hair in the mirror episode. And I don't mean more attractive, I mean not dopey.

Well, it's only logical I should have a utilitarian haircut, I am an enlightened, practical individual with no desire to indulge my vanity or attract a mate outside my species, let alone procreate more than once a decade.

*Squeezes her D-cups into a skin suit, slaps on her lipstick and heels, and struts her fine rear end up to the bridge*

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

RICK Berman: DS9 isn't real trek and I'm sort of ashamed it got made under my watch by these terrible people who wanted to pervert trek with imperfect characters and non-white leading men! The enterprise theme is fantastic! I'm the only one who gets it!

I really enjoyed interviews while Entperprise was on the air when fans were begging him to change the theme, and he would basically say "Yeah, well even thought it's hugely unpopular I think it's kind of nice so I'm keeping it."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

"Mr. Berman, what do you say to these fans who don't like the Enterprise theme?"

"Yeah well you know what? It's been a long road getting from there to here. It's been a long time, but my time is finally here. I WILL see my dreams come alive at night. I can touch the sky. And they're not going to hold me down no more. They are NOT going to change my mind. Because I've got faith of the heart." - Rick Berman.

You Gotta Have Faith

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

Getting to the Voyager part of The Fifty Year Mission, and its really interesting how the two shows worked out.

DS9 was ignored and it's writers got to do what they did, and the result was a show that some fans are passionate about, but comparitively ignored by the bulk of the audience and/or doesn't really stick in the cultural mindset of Trek.

Voyager gets focused on, executives meddle, the staff gets annoyed with themselves and each other... and like we've discussed above, it succeeded more than its sister show in terms of general popularity and attachment to Star Trek as a brand.

The part I don't get, though, is that I thought DS9 had better ratings. By the Nielsons, it was more popular, with the pilot getting three times the viewership of Voyager's.

It probably brands better as Star Trek, but there's no indication more people watched it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Tighclops posted:

Yeah, I really love Star Trek but I've been saying for years I'm not really interested in more of it for these reasons. I'm looking forward to season 2 of The Expanse, how is the new Star Trek series supposed to stay relevant in the face of a show like that? Stargate couldn't, even after pivoting hard to be like the last space opera that was culturally relevant (BSG) Don't get me wrong I want to see them actually try as opposed to cargo culting prior incarnations of the franchise, but how far can you go before you might as well just make up a whole new idea and do that instead of trying to call it Star Trek?

Or could they get away with doing a DS9-quality level type show on a modest budget? Is that what they're trying to do? I don't know. All I know is that it's hard to get excited for new Trek now, after all these years.

I keep saying they should just ditch the whole canon and make a new version of the show for modern audiences. Not in the sense that they just ape current TV trends, but give us "wagon train to the stars" or whatever imagined with today's scientific knowledge, doing episodes about today's issues. The details (phasers, shields, Klingons, whatever) can be negotiable as long as the spirit is there.

Like, remember that picture that was going around of a NASA-built Starship Enterprise? Give me something like that. Give me hope for today by showing me a detailed (ableit fantastical) vision for tomorrow. I feel like if you do that you can have a show called Star Trek and you can decorate it any way you like.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

MisterBibs posted:

=
Nah, you have to have them in some way or form, because you're beholden to it as a Star Trek prequel. You can't do "no that poo poo hasn't invented yet", because then it's not Star Trek anymore.

So all those episodes where they don't use shields, transporters, or phasers don't count as Star Trek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Timby posted:

Hey, they showed a completely blown-to-poo poo USS Constellation using an AMT model kit back in the second season of the original series. A little ingenuity goes a long way.

You know you've made it as a show when you can use your own merchandise in actual production.