Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

socialsecurity posted:

D bridge will always be my favorite has a amazing profile and is easy to visualize in your head.

As someone who got the chance to visit the D bridge in Vegas when I was 14, I can tell you that thing is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

QuantaStarFire posted:

I can visualize the half where Sisko's office is, but I can't picture anything on the side opposite to it with the viewscreen. I think that might even be mostly empty space, but I'd have to go watch again to find out.

:sperg:

Directly under the viewscreen is a whole lotta nothin'. That's where that little recessed area is that you have to take the little ladder down like 2 meters to access, and there's like an isolinear panel or some poo poo in there. O'Brien is seen working down there a few times, and that's where Dax got her hand zapped by the forcefield in "Civil Defense".

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Vic was fine. I don't get why people bitch about Vic so much, considering most episodes that he appears in are also good ones.

I always took him as showing just another side of war. If the Dominion War is WW2 in space, Vic is US Army propaganda performers who travelled around to keep troop morale high. His role fit in with the overall war story.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Baronjutter posted:

What I'm really getting from reading all this ds9 cast and crew stuff is that they might not have been best huggy friends like the TNG cast, they were extremely professional, supportive, and loyal and everyone from writer to actor to producer were all very much on the same team. They eventually got an "us against the world" sort of attitude where they didn't care what the network or fans wanted, they just wanted to make the best TV they could, based on what they all agreed was good, and they're all very (rightfully) proud of what they made.

Is there any truth at all to that rumor about Avery Brooks requiring everyone to call him "Mr. Brooks", even fellow cast members? Or is that just some exaggeration that just happens to fit the eccentric character he's sorta built up around himself?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

It's a chibi Franklin.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So I'm doing my first TNG watchthrough since like... SpikeTV TNN acquired the TNG rights like 15 years ago and did a weeklong marathon of the entire series. This may be the first time I'm watching Code of Honor.

And Jesus gently caress what an episode it is. This trash belongs as part of some TOS Season 1 bullshit that would have aired in the 60s. Early TNG borrows a lot of TOS's style in terms of writing/cinematography/especially music, but Christ almighty this thing should not exist. I now know why Patrick Stewart famously refused to unpack his suitcase after landing the job.

Like, I am now actively embarrassed to be a Star Trek fan in ways I haven't been for a long long time.

Drone fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 1, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Baronjutter posted:

Are those the actual proportions of nu-trek ships? The nacels look so top-heavy or the supports so spindly. There's something about all the designs in nu-trek like they looked up some ancient secret geometry on how to make things look terrible through bad and unnatural proportions.

Sometimes I get the feeling that whoever designed JJTrek's ships is the same person who did character design for Kingdom Hearts.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

oh boo-hoo, the episode's almost thirty years old now and nobody but turbo-nerds ever watches it any more

Except a fuckton of people have access to Netflix and if they are even remotely interested in Trek will generally start with TNG first. And it's the third episode.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Unpopular opinion: I sorta enjoyed Star Trek: Legacy on my Xbox 360. Buggy as gently caress interface though, and awful multiplayer.

It was no Bridge Commander though :sigh:

I picked up Starfleet Academy on Steam, since that game was my obsession back in like 1999. Unfortunately on modern machines the interface just reacts too goddamn fast. The cool rotating wireframes of all the ships go at like 20x speed.

I'd kill for a proper remake of Birth of the Federation though. Or even a patch that fixes the egregious memory leak issues.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pwnstar posted:

Do Starfleet officers get paid? I'm onto DS9 now and I just randomly thought about how everyone gets the money to buy drinks at Quark's when they are supposed to be post-scarcity or whatever the Federation's deal is.

I think it's implied at some point that Federation officers who are stationed in areas of space that still use a cash economy receive some sort of small stipend in order to engage in that economy. Or something, idk.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

mind the walrus posted:

Is there any word from inside as to why CBS has such a strong level of trouble with the Star Trek license? Their treatment of it is more consistent of someone with Borderline Personality Disorder than anything else.

Gut feeling is that they just never found a showrunner who was a.) passionate about it, b.) competent, and c.) had enough power to avoid being constantly under the thumb of studio execs.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So when do the Sanctuary Districts open?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Baronjutter posted:

No but there's a WWIII when genetically engineered super-men become the earth's natural elites and form brutal dictatorships treating humans as slaves or 2nd class citizens. This was due to a flaw in the genetic engineering that for some reason also made them evil and power hungry. Despite technology advancing for hundreds of years since, it's still illegal because they would turn into super-men and the federation will not tolerate a society where some of it's members have superior abilities. *is a multi-species nation where some members can read minds, others have super strength and intellect*.

The Eugenics Wars all happened in the mid-90s (and it was presumably more of a series of proxy conflicts than anything, considering Voyager went back to 1996 that one time and everything in Los Angeles was just peachy-keen). World War 3 happened around the 2030s or 2040s (I think?) and was more of a Cold-War-Gone-Hot scenario, with at least one multinational bloc going up against the other. I don't think we know what the western bloc(s) were called, but one of the belligerents was the Eastern Coalition (which was conceivably still a thread even in 2063).

:goonsay:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Shatner surprising no-one by being just a bit of a dickhead.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Gonz posted:

Takei has also got opinions, but is unsure how recess appointments work.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeTakei/status/796854677165973504

I mean, that literally is how recess appointments work. Obama is totally free to fill a Supreme Court spot as a recess appointment (Washington appointed Rutledge, Eisenhower appointed Brennan, Warren, and Stewart). It's just that the Senate would most likely reject the nomination during its next session --- something that has only happened once before for a Supreme Court justice, over 210 years ago.

If the Democrats had been able to get 51 seats in the Senate, that's almost certainly how it would have gone. Now though, it's debatable whether he'll even try it (he should).

Anyway, Star Trek. :yeah:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Yo, how does that fancy Twitter embed work.

https://twitter.com/RikerGoogling/status/796900689783816192

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Evek posted:

some jerkoff exec at CBS said that Star Trek would only work on a streaming service and would not find an audience on broadcast TV

I can't even parse what this is supposed to mean, unless the exec already knows that the show is a steaming pile of trash and that airing it on free TV would just be embarrassing. What do other successful streaming-only shows (Stranger Things, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, The Man in the High Castle, etc.) have that makes them unsuited to broadcast television besides the fact that they are all really good?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I mean I guess I could soooorta see the logic that sci-fi doesn't work on broadcast television anymore, considering I'm scratching my brain to think of a show that aired on broadcast TV recently that wasn't the X-Files relaunch miniseries. Then again, I don't live in the US anymore, so it could be that there is cool stuff appearing on ABC/CBS/NBC that I don't know about.

Cable is a whole different story though. Unfortunately CBS doesn't own any cable TV stations as far as I can tell (except Showtime, and lol for TV series that air on Showtime) -- they used to, but then Viacom spun off from them and took the cable assets with it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Honestly that list is far too large. I fail to see how superhero shows can and should count as sci-fi. Now if the conversation were just about "fantastic fiction" or a sci-fantasy umbrella, it'd be different.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

"Where a Few Other Men Went Before"
"The Partially-Clothed Time"
"The Village on the Edge of Sometime"
"Spock's Spleen"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Let That Be Your Last Butterfinger

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The Subpar Okona

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can Twain save the Enterprise?

Myeeeeees, hah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxCW9xmamzQ

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Does this mean Hyperriker is canonical now?

That'll be the day.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

more like The Motionless Picture, am I right y'all?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So... what if someone were to make a TV series using the StarFleet Battles license instead of the Star Trek license...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Voyager was the only Trek series that I got to watch while it was still in production growing up. DS9 ran alongside it of course, but my local UPN affiliate showed Voyager at 9pm on Wednesdays and DS9 at like 2am (for some hosed up reason???), so I only got to enjoy DS9 after it came out on DVD and I begged for them at a stupidly overpriced $100-per-season. Everything after Season 3 I thankfully picked up on some crazy sale at Sam's Club for like $30 each.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The_Doctor posted:

It is indeed a thing. Any gay geek I've met over the years seemed to unabashedly love Voyager. If I pointed out that it was the worst, and it was all rehashed TNG plots they'd generally give "Oh I know, but I still love it" as a reply.

As a gay Trek geek, I can tell you that this is pretty much 100% because of Kate Mulgrew. She has a pretty decently-sized gay following in general as an actor, and therefore gay geeks also love Voyager because of it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Nebakenezzer posted:

Sooo.....why is that? Let me be a totally boring nerd, and say "why would your sexual orientation give you a liking of one thing over another?"

It's probably a strong female actor thing. The same reason gays have classically liked them -- starting with Judy Garland and moving onto the Hepburns, Bette Davis, then onward to Barbara Streisand, Bette Midler, Meryl Streep, etc. There's also a pretty clear divide between professional actors who happen to have a strong gay following (people like Kate Mulgrew or Meryl Streep), or professional actors who are just outright fag hags who actively cultivate that image (Kathy Griffin, Margaret Cho, Joy Behar).

It's also not a universal constant among gay people or anything. But when asking why gay men tend to prefer Voyager, it's probably the single strongest motivator.

Also Kate Mulgrew is a good actor and worthy of being a fan regardless of whether or not you're straight or gay, aside from some shady drama between her and Jeri Ryan that have often been talked about.

Data Graham posted:

Some of it is appreciation of performers who are LGBT-friendly (cf. Bea Arthur); some of it is just a cultural bandwagon deal, like it was always a "thing" for gay guys to like Judy Garland, which I imagine was largely "I love her because all my friends love her" which becomes self-perpetuating.

Yeah, this, though it's much more than an affectation, which some could interpret your point as meaning. Especially in that era, being gay also meant that you had to accept a specific cultural lexicon (to a certain degree) in order to communicate your sexual orientation on the sly. Being a "friend of Dorothy" was a subtle (for the time) indicator to someone else that you were gay and interested in finding other gay people, in an era where you couldn't just come out and say it without facing gigantic repercussions. The necessity of remaining subtle like that has thankfully faded to basically nil in most of the Western world, but the cultural cornerstone remains to a large degree (though it is fading rapidly with the mainstreaming of public homosexuality).

But I'm not sure this is the place to talk about gay cultural cornerstones and the fading institutions of gay culture.

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 21, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

For me, DS9 Worf is pretty much epitomized in "Let He Who Is Without Sin..."

Also: whatup Trek thread, I've been out of it for awhile. Is Discovery gonna come out and will it suck real bad? I heard Jason Isaacs was cast as the captain, that's gotta be okayish I guess, right?

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 20, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I began to understand Worf much better as a character when you don't read him as a Klingon, but as a guy who was raised in Minsk.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Fanwanky is fine as long as it's done well (Rogue One). But I have zero faith that CBS can do anything remotely like that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Nessus posted:

How do you mean? I didn't really get much novel commentary out of the movie.

About the only thing novel I got was the (very brief look at) how rebellions tend to attract people from a wide range of different ideologies (ie: Mon Mothma was all snippety about Forrest Whittaker's rebel cell being extremists who commit warcrimes). But it was incredibly superficial.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

MikeJF posted:

Shall we start a betting pool on references to the Enterprise slash it cameoing?

Pilot episode, as was the pre-ENT tradition to carry over something from a previous series.

Edit: random thought, which Dax is the one alive during the ST:D timeline? Emony's boning Dr. McCoy, right?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Sometimes I get the feeling this thread is caught in a temporal causality loop.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Knormal posted:

Well they used them for like 80 years or something, from ST II to like five years before TNG. Everyone probably got sick of wearing the same uniform their grandpa did.

The only thing I sorta hate about the later era of that uniform is when they stopped putting the dickie underneath it, so it looks collarless. It's like... I dunno, seeing someone wearing shoes without socks.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I have to read this book.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pakled posted:

The only DS9 episode you should skip is Meridian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FM6Xfs2ZoY

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Anyway that brings this up: Trip report: DS9 Season 1, episode 13 "The Storyteller"

Trip report: DS9 Season 1, episode 14 "Progress"

Oh man I can't wait until you get to "Duet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kazinsal posted:

I don't have the same thoughts about Star Trek V though. In my opinion that movie's got a good score and that's really about it.

I hear Shatner put on an amazing performance because the director respected him so much.