Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Star Trek: attack of the hot Chrises.

I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Falken posted:

Had to go back and rewatch some of the battles because why not, and I always love this particular moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVtj7PauX_I&t=77s

Galaxy class doubleteam. :perfect:

I love how Odyssey aside, every time we see a Galaxy in the Dominion war they are gently cruising along kicking arse. Massive, slow, implacable beasts.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 19, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The general word is that Gene was at first all in favour of it when Gerrold came to him about it, but The Lawyer and Berman teamed up to convince him it would get TNG cancelled, largely because they were both homophobes. Here's an interview.

Gene had admitted he wasn't so open minded back in the 60s on gay people, though. By TNG era he was embracing, but too demented to follow through.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 20, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

I haven't seen beyond yet, but last week I rewatched the other two JJ movies. Star Trek '09 is still decent, Into Darkness is still godawful.

If it weren't for Nemesis I guess the whole "odd Star Trek movies bad, even ones good" rule would still be in effect. We got two bad ones in a row and that threw the whole thing off.

We've retconned Galaxy Quest into the lineup so it works.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apropos of nothing, according to Simon Pegg, after the Kelvin incursion caused a universal split, changes rippled both directions down the timeline due to quantum poo poo and also the time travel loops that happen all the time in trek and poo poo like that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The trailer CG is almost certainly incomplete. You'd absolutely expect it to look like bad CG five months out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's weird; Fuller said they were looking at race cars as inspiration.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fighters.

http://i.imgur.com/Kqq4Pea.gifv

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Fighters pretty much have to be remotely piloted ships for Trek. There's no way something that size has a shield generator that'll take a hit from a ship of decent size.

Unless it's some monster like the Defiant

And the Defiant was 170 metres long.

Rhyno posted:

The Maqui had Federation built fighters that were roughly the size of Runabout, those ships from BoBW weren't all that much smaller. Hell even shuttlecraft can do low warp and have shields.

Marquis depended on the badlands to be able to to fight effectively. We don't even know if the BoBW things were ships or missiles or how big they were.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 25, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really won't mind if the CG looks kinda eh, as long as it's versatile enough to enable storytelling possibilities. It's the writing I'm more concerned with.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Just build a bigger mushroom! :buddy:

They did the same thing with the orbital office/Spacelab model the next season:

:argh: Budget!

Although it would kind've defeat the point of Spacedock. It's a pity they didn't have the tech to just show bigger doors on the mushroom.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 25, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

qntm posted:

Maybe there's still hope for the Enterprise-J design! Which I, alone, like.

I like some of the concepts behind the J, I just dislike the actual execution.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Duckbag posted:

What's more, there are echoes of the newer JJTrek designs in the ship's coloring and many of its lines, but I think the basic look of the thing (particularly the lack of spindly pylons and tube nacelles) doesn't fit the TOS-era design language at all and probably means it's set in a different era, probably earlier because of the registry number and also because it doesn't fit with a TNG/post-TNG look as it's not nearly as smooth and curvy or "high tech" looking and has a round, flat saucer like the older ships did.

If I was going to fit it in with existing Trek design lineage, I'd say it looks like part of the Refit/Miranda/Excelsior/Oberth era design family.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, I can see that as well. Some of the details on the saucer made me think of the Excelsior at first, but it's also got some of that flatness the NX and some of the other "old" ship designs have. Really, neither era would surprise me.

Actually, the saucer's inlay and general features really reminds me of the Oberth class. The Grissom was NCC-638? Hmm.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I like the J, but every iteration I've seen makes it look like the saucer only exists on a 2D plane.

I think the intent was for that to give the impression of it being so ridiculously huge you can barely make out the thickness, but I don't know if they pulled it off.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume if anything Roddenberry named her for the CV-6, although obviously that ship was named from a ridiculously long lineage.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Subyng posted:

E: he's gonna be a clone of George Kirk (which explains why he will be younger than he looks), a sleeper agent sent to assasinate J Kirk.

But then he's redeemed by the power of humanity.

Nakedly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The biggest change from late season 2/early season 3 is that when Michael Piller came aboard he said that every storyline needed to be about a character. It's really obvious, going back, the way season 1/2 scripts often aren't about anyone but are just drifting events which the crew are reacting to, very different from the TNG pattern we got used to later.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'll be honest, I'd have been happy if the movie had just been two hours of panning around Yorktown.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I was on a balcony at an ultrascreen with a hangover and I was very happy when Yorktown stopped spinning around me.

I was in IMAX 3D with a fancy new laser projector and it was astonishing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like a scene missing from the movie was Spock and McCoy discovering that the bad guys on Altima were bioengineered worker drones controlled by swarm intelligence, maybe with a direct comparison to bees. Set up the swarm disruption later and more clearly explain Krall's army of followers.

Also they could've called the Evil Smoke the nanoswarm, but maybe they just wanted to leave it as Evil Smoke instead of bogging things down. (Actually, if they'd actually depicted it as a swarm of tiny but just visible machines working in concert, that would've worked really well, fitted the tech, and made the threat more visceral by calling back the visual of the Enterprise being ripped apart)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 28, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

The warped away and it's not clear how far away the Jellyfish is when it drops out of warp.

Edit: Jake Sisko suuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Yeah. Plus, it's presumably a pretty small black hole. Which wouldn't actually have any effect even if it was relatively close to Earth. It'd just act like an extra planet. But black. And hole-ish.

Small black holes evaporate quickly anyway.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Given that the Enterprise was thrusting wildly at full impulse with her mass distribution totally messed up when she fell out of orbit, I don't think there's really reason to complain in this case anyway.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

An "extra planet" would gently caress up the orbits of all the other planets pretty badly.

Not really. Over the course of a few thousand years, maybe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Allen_Aldo posted:

Was there ever a more acid fuled scene in trek than the wormhole bit from TMP?

I mean there can't be, right?

Star Trek IV time travel.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The really annoying thing was that they had the romulan war right there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There are two components to navigational deflectors: the deflector beam (a giant repulsor beam that shoots ahead of the ship) and the deflector shields (lightweight shields that run all the time mainly tuned to physical and radiological dangers).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Also, I really liked Jaylah. If she replaces Yelchin in the crew then I'll be ok with that.

I really like that she wasn't the cliched personality they implied in the trailers, but rather actually helpful and nice.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Star Trek 2017 will succeed and profit off the back of the Netflix international deal whilst CBS squanders it within the US.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

CBS won't give much of a poo poo about Netflix success if DSC doesn't drive subs for their bloated streaming monstrosity. This is a one season show, calling it now. Maybe one full season and a half order for a second if we're lucky.

Eh, they've said that the International Netflix deal will bring it to direct profit even disregarding CBS All Access, so they wouldn't have any reason to actually cancel it if that situation continues. It's not like ads where you juggle a timeslot's value and alternative shows - it's a pretty straight money spent < money earned.

On the other hand, CBS is so incompetent, who knows.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 3, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

remusclaw posted:

They use it again somewhat more egregiously later. Mind wiping people just seems to be part of the regular Star-fleet playbook.

Later on they imply that short-term memory wiping was less regular Starfleet playbook and more Dr Pulaski's party trick.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 3, 2016

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

Logically speaking the Federation's gotta have some kind of a Psi Corps, and Troi would have actually been improved, probably, if she was the psi agent on board. Which HAPPENED to include, primarily, counseling and therapy, BUT ALSO some of the stuff she did in S6 and S7 when they put her in the uniform.

Telepathy's troubling as hell from a moral point of view and they always skipped right over it and just went 'whatever yeah it's fine', it's a pity.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ezri has issues, but she's much better than Jadzia who is so dull.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You're all wrong, Sisko was hottest.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Colm Meany's in everything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Frakes became a pretty prolific TV director instead of acting.

Roxanne Dawson and Robert Duncan McNeill did this too. Trek seems good at springboarding c-list directors.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Levar Burton and non-celebrity companion were kidnapped by pirates in the gulf of Mexico, obviously.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

I remembered she had some kind of dance background but wasn't sure if she had trained under Fossé or something.

Lecoq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Comrade Fakename posted:

I always liked the concept of the uniforms from TNG onwards (once they got the collars in, of course). Like they were made of some kind of futuristic materials that somehow got around the real-life problems that wearing fitted jumpsuits must have brought. I was a little disappointed in Beyond when you see a shot of Kirk early on and there's very clearly a zip up the back of his shirt. The concept of a quasi-military "uniform" that looks radically different from real military uniforms is a cool one.

That was meant to be the idea. They were made so tight in season one to try to represent that they'd evolved past wrinkles.

One thing I like about TOS's uniforms that the later never had is how casual and comfy they look. They're only quasi-military, like you said, so gently caress it, be easy and nice to wear.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 5, 2016