Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Are we in a temporal whatsis? I have the strangest feeling that I've seen the above thread title for an earlier Star Trek thread...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Gonz posted:

If you're new to Star Trucks, you should probably take a gander at this, as it's one of the best scenes from any of the TV shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdiuRMK3UQ

That is the best scene of Star Trucks.

Still not enough to get me to drink root beer, though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Clearly you've just not drunk enough.

Someone post Drinking Kanar with Damar, stat!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I wonder what kind of aesthetic they're going to go for. A lot of the more recent Trek aesthetic stuff (Enterprise sets, most of the non-ship JJTrek sets, etc) I really like, I just want the writing and ... seriousness? gravitas? of old-style Trek.

I'm not even really averse the the pulse phasers of JJTrek, honestly. And all the shots of Starfleet Command and such were pretty as hell. But those movies totally flailed around with a big dumb tentpole action movie thing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I can't remember if that was the one where he married a smoking hot half-Klingon-half-Romulan chick, or was that one of the other ones.

The Shatnerverse is one long string of novels, he meets that chick in the second or third one or something.

Then they have a kid who ends up being Human/Klingon/Romulan Jesus because the whole purpose of the Preservers spreading life around the galaxy was to make a being who could magically re-battery the galactic barrier, because that barrier was keeping out the evil subspace nanomachine consciousness thing that wanted to assimilate the entire galaxy.

Apparently Humans, Klingons, and Romulans are the three races 'closest' to the perfect genetic mix, so having a tri-breed unlocked the Space Jesus powers.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

UFC will still exist, though.

ULTIMATE FICELLO CHAMPIONSHIP will be very popular amongst space Canadians like the stalwart commander Eddington, I must say.

UFC is obviously the Ultimate Finnegan Championship, and what Kirk's academy roommate got up to after graduation.

Imagine that annoying Irish guy from the one TOS episode as this Vince MacMahon figure...

Zurui posted:

I think y'all have a critical misunderstanding of what "post-scarcity" means.

Wuffie is not money. It's not even a currency. You don't use it to pay for things or taxes or whatever. It's an alternative reason to get out of bed and work for the betterment of humanity. It's inherently unlimited. There's no "welfare state" because welfare implies a distribution of goods based upon merit or lack thereof.

At least on the core worlds, we see nothing to indicate that any sort of transaction takes place. People just do what they want because the only limited resource is time.

This is from a good few pages back, but James P. Hogan's book Voyage from Yesteryear does something like this. It's more an economy of respect, people do things because they like and/or are good at it, and get recognized for it. Respect/acknowledgement becomes the 'unit of currency' but it's not limited at all - gaining more respect doesn't somehow remove it from other people, it's not a zero-sum game like capitalism.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 12, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

bleh, ignore

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 12, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I really love the TOS Romulan ships.

Thanks to this thread I now consider TOS Romulan ships to actually be stolen Federation designs.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

TNG aired at a time when television was still strongly episodic. There may have been a few more serial shows (and shows like Babylon 5 would shortly make it a lot more popular) but the paradigm at the time was definitely not long-term character growth focused.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Timby posted:

Maybe I need to watch the Klingon episodes of DS9 again, but it just felt like Gowron randomly switched from being a mildly paranoid leader to a jabbering lunatic. And then Sisko basically tells Worf, "Yo, go wreck his poo poo," and I'm like :stare:

Wasn't that change in Gowron because he had been replaced by a changeling?

Or am I due for another DS9 rewatch?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Apologies for tumblr content, but I thought this was hilarious.

http://images.cybersomnia.com/tumblr_startrekheadcannon.png

... So humans are basically dumb rednecks who, after making friends with their stellar neighbors, can't resisting joyriding all over the cosmos while yelling HEY YA'LL WATCH THIS?

Imgur is being a pain in my rear end right now, but imagine the 'yep, checks out' scene from The Expanse right here.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think the thing that makes the show uncomfortable to watch for me is witnessing Scott Bakula basically struggling to figure out what the gently caress he is supposed to be doing practically every single moment. I really sense him discovering on camera that the writers didn't know what to do with his character the entire run.

One thing I will say for Voyager: When Mulgrew figured this out she at least doubled down on the schizo captain acting.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

ENT really should have doubled down on the "Dubya in Space" aspect for Archer.

I'm reminded of that image from reddit posted earlier in the thread, about how zany the federation is.

Ent blew the opportunity to show a ship full of space rednecks (honestly, that's what humans are compared to vulcans) getting in weird loving situations and then having to report back to earth. "You found WHAT? And then the ship fell through a portal to WHERE? And now we're at war with WHO?!?"

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Jeffrey Coombs should have murdered Archer and kept the ship for himself

#ShranDidNothingWrong

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Railing Kill posted:

Between DS9 chat and chat about how much Archer is a human potted plant, this has been a rough page for my will to continue ENT. Maybe I'll look up a watch list because god drat do I have better poo poo to do than the sci fi equivalent of watching paint dry.

The actual star of Enterprise is Shran.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm sad we didn't get a season 5 where he would have been a main crew member. I think Manny Coto said that was their plan.

Season 5 with First Officer Shran (or whatever) plus that bomb-rear end NX refit that actually looked like a Starfleet ship... :jackbud:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

When people go on about the buttugly refit as something they wanted, it makes me glad Enterprise was cancelled.

Why does your username have to be such a good book but your opinions Aatrek-level?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Sure it is. Doesn't mean it needs an extra hull strapped to the bottom.

95% of Starfleet designs follow the 'saucer, primary hull, some nacelles' plan.

The exception being Mirandas and Akiras (and the Centaur in that one DS9 episode).

Well, and the no-nacelle designs like the Defiant and Steamrunner and such. But those are deliberately eschewing the standard.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 26, 2016

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

The saucer is the primary hull.

Fine, I typed primary and meant secondary. Nerds.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The NX-01 should totally have been a giant hitachi magic wand.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

CharlieWhiskey posted:

stay safe number one ghost

"'saucer, primary hull, some nacelles'"

And you're not? A non-nerd would have said "disc, bottom bit, some engines". You can't just call us nerds and walk away. As penance, go buy and read the Technical Manual cover to cover. We'll wait here and argue about 'nacelle and warp containment theory' theories.

Never claimed I wasn't. I'm arguing over the internet about Star Trek aren't I?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Moriatti posted:

Hey, so I am mid season 3 in Farscape and loving it.
What are good episodes to show people who aren't prone to wait for a show to find it's voice. Preferably something that would play well for a Doctor Who fan?

The answer is always Crackers Don't Matter.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They should just do another animated series, but get the studio that did Space Battleship Yamato 2199 to do the animation.

Animated Star Trek or animated Farscape?

Actually, don't answer, now I want both.

(And yeah, SBY2199 looked sweet, except for all the ladies being in catsuits while everything else was so naval old-timey)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Moriatti posted:

Does that work without character context? That seems like it would be similar to having "Naked Now" as your first or second episode.

Good point.

I kind of feel like the pilot pretty much lays Farscape out. John is lost and doesn't know what the gently caress and everyone around him is crazy. That's like the whole show right there.

e: Wasn't 'The Naked Now' the second episode of TNG?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

After The War posted:

Maybe now I can pitch them my idea about the Tal Shi'ar and Obsidian Order agents who somehow end up sharing an apartment.

...no, it's not a comedy, why would you think that?

... I'd watch a Star Trek Spy vs Spy show.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Pwnstar posted:

In Episode 6 of the 7th Season, Data asks Worf to look after Spot and tell him that he is a pretty cat. Later in Episode 19 we are told Spot is pregnant with a litter of kittens. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is a magic cat or something? I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Do we ever actually see Data feeding Spot? What if Data keeps ordering new Spots from the food dispenser because he kept killing/starving the old one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Computer, create a cat able to defeat WarLocke

poo poo, I feel like this is the truth for every cat I've ever had.

loving plotters, man, the lot of them.