Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No Dignity posted:

Why are you spoiling speculation and why are you posting it in the good Star Trek thread

There are no good star trek threads on this forums. Just different flavors of bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Season 6 of voyager also has Bride of Chaotica so it's not actually really bad.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Timby posted:

One episode does not redeem an entire season.

I mean, it can absolutely. But that isn't what I said.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

Also Bride of Chaotica (which I thought was insanely overrated) was in season 5.

That's a very wide split in right vs wrong in a single sentence.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

-there and right there only -

The big arc in the final season of enterprise is basically all about this.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Chairman posted:

overall I think it's a pretty dull episode but I like the plot device of showing how deeply Chakotay's getting indoctrinated by slowly working in more Vori words until by the end he's yelling about how glimpsing the upturned in the trunks turned his trembles into rages

I like that episode, but I also went through a military indoctrination period so probably a bit of a different perspective.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

The dialogue in Nemesis makes me feel like I’m having a stroke.

Gonna guess you didn't like Terra Nova from Enterprise too.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

davidspackage posted:

Jesus, poor Garret Wang.

"When his parents met actress Bonnie Franklin at an airport in Hawaii, she told them that Wang would never make it in the business."

The business being acting.

He also apparently tried to watch TNG multiple times before getting onto Voyager and every time he'd try to watch it it was Code of Honor so he bailed.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

They give Paris so many groan worthy one-liners, I hate his quips. The problem is that Kim and Paris essentially serve the same niche as characters, it's another reason they should've dropped Wang. Tom Paris is so boring his own father keeps a photo of an entirely different man from his son on his desk.

They don't though. Paris is the worldly mentor guy who knows how the "real world" is. Kim is the shiny new ensign who has no life experiences. Paris starts the series out in prison.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If you use spheres you can't combine 8 cubes together to make more cube.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arivia posted:

28 years later, I just saw "Genesis" for the first time ever.

And it was everything I'd ever hoped it would be. Amazing makeup, fun weird character moments as people devolve, and a dark and tense plotline as devolved Worf chases Picard through the Enterprise at the climax. I goddamn love this franchise.

I really enjoyed that one. And it was one that Gates McFadden directed. IMDB doesn't list her as director credit on TNG for some reason so I don't know if that was the only one she did or what.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Don't laugh, the "fusion cube" or "tactical fusion cube" is a thing in Armada II. Maybe if they'd made an Armada III we'd see a fusion fusion cube? 8 fusion cubes fused together?

Yes, that's where I got the picture.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahanTM/status/1646979438125666304

Hallmark does zero research don't they?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Cause and Effect doesn’t require the viewer to know any of the characters and is a good example of what TNG is like. A lot of the “best of Trek” like Measure of a Man or BoBW or even Inner Light rely to some degree on the viewer knowing the characters. Cause and Effect is solid, entertaining and economically communicates everything the viewer needs to know.

I don't think Inner Light really has anything you need to know about the characters ahead of time that isn't pretty well established in the episode itself.

Later on when he flutes with his girlfriend in the jeffries tubes sure, you kinda need to know why the flute is a big deal.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

But without the 'we wish we could stop Voyaging and go home' and 'this ship isn't set up for this' parts.

Yea this is basically the opposite of what actually happens in Voyager. They're *constantly* not going straight home.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, but Voyager is still poo poo even though the concept of the show is a ship completely separated from Federation space exploring totally unknown territory. The parts where they complain about not being home aren't what brings it down because they basically don't exist. I don't care enough to actually check, but I'm pretty sure they don't even mention their predicament in a solid majority of episodes in any given season.

If anything the show is extra explore-y because the crew constantly need to justify doing stupid poo poo by talking about how Starfleet is all about exploring and look how pretty this nebula is

They often mention it, but half the time it's just a personal thing and has nothing to do with their situation. "I'm sad that my parents think I'm dead" kind of thing. It rarely drives the story, or even really interacts with it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Okay, sure, but all of that is very well established in that episode.

quote:

ELINE: Thank goodness. I've had people out trying to find you everywhere. Why did you worry us like that? Are you hungry?
PICARD: Hungry, thirsty, exhausted. I suppose that proves this is not a dream, doesn't it?
ELINE: You think this, your life, is a dream?
PICARD: This is not my life. I know that much.

quote:

ELINE: Was your life there so much better than this? So much more gratifying, so much more fulfilling, that you cling to it with such stubbornness?
PICARD: Eline.
ELINE: It must have been extraordinary. But never in all of the stories you've told me have you mentioned anyone who loved you as I do.

quote:

PICARD: I would have believed I didn't need children to complete my life. Now I couldn't imagine life without them.

The whole "how strange it is I of all people to start a family thing" is basically in the very text of the episode.

It's very clear from the episode itself that Picard and Kamin were not similar people. I think that it's just hard for people who do have the background and experience with the characters to see something that's so clearly a personal episode that has a lot to do with those characters in any kind of light than as a fan who already knows a bunch about it.

But TNG is pretty good about making stuff self contained, for the most part.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

jeeves posted:

Yeah but I am 1000% sure any accidentally decent* Nu-Trek will go the way of S1 Mandalorian and be just ground down into bullshit.

*decent in comparison to Picard or Discovery, but still bottom tier of anything previous.

You might be right about SNW.

LD has had 3 seasons so far and is still great.

Prodigy technically has only had one season but it was broken up so it was really like two seasons, and it has been pretty good the whole way through.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BonHair posted:

Are there any serious (as in not explicitly comedy or for kids) sci-fi/fantasy that is not terribly written with world ending stakes? The real issue is that everyone is too focused on plot twists and effects and no one cares about characters and stories. The setting is less important, it's about what you do with it.

The name of the place, is Babylon 5.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gonz posted:

It can't just be some neat story about young people going to Space College and experiencing college things

No because that's Prodigy.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

What's to justify? Tuvix was a monster who's existence was a perpetual murder of two crewmen. The deal with the borg was the only way to deal with a threat greater than the borg, and dealing with Captain Ransom by chasing him down and stopping him from brutally murdering any more aliens was the right move.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

yes but have you considered that this way we can make a clip show ep?

No because clip shows suck.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

At the risk of taking the bait: You can't call Tuvix's existence the murder of Tuvok and Neelix and pretend killing Tuvix isn't ALSO murder. Like, it's basically the trolley problem. Janeway does nothing and lets 2 men die, or actively takes a life and saves 2.

I'm not pretending it's not. It's just easily justified.

Khanstant posted:

Bringing people back to life is wrong, period, full stop.

Why?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't. I think immortality would be hell for several reasons. It's not just watching everyone you know and love die, but the human body isn't mean to last forever, so you'd get diminishing returns with body functionality (I guess this would go hand in hand with transhumanism bros who think that easy tech solutions are all we need to "perfect" the human race).

Pretty sure when most people talk about immortality for humans it's implied that there is some kind of age halting or resetting functionality to it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Several Star Trek episodes address why that could potentially be a can of worms. Not just Too Short A Season but in the original series, Metamorphosis and arguably Requiem for Methuselah.

Sure, but there are also examples in fiction of ways it could work out mediocerly. Also splendidly.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

Right now, our capitalist hellscape would allow the worst people to live forever and acquire more money and essentially never lose it. Death is a great equalizer in a lot of ways.

That just kind of makes my point.

The answer of "do you want to live forever" is not really based on the ability to live forever but how well your life would be in whatever society has "living forever" as an option.

Do you want to live forever as a serf under some piece of poo poo noble? Probably not.
Do you want to live forever in a post scarcity utopia where everyone gets the chance to fulfill their lives equally? Probably sure.

The idea that "people just keep getting more conservative as they get older" is just patently false.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Knormal posted:

True, but someone should probably look into those Equinox crewmembers who "joined Voyager's crew" and were never seen again.

We never saw like 80% of the rest of the crew.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nessus posted:

Immortality is impossible. Something will eventually get you. I imagine when people say immortality they mean more along the lines of an indefinite lifespan at a reasonably hearty body state, such as that you are not just sitting and watching birds shuffling off to have the birds killed for your stock portfolio, or whatnot.

Eh. If we're talking pie in the sky future technology there is no reason why you can't also include transhumanism. People can download their thoughts and keep them up to date so if some accident befalls you they can just grow a clone and then put your brain scan into the clone.

That is also a method of immortality. You grow up, grow old, die, reboot.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Murdering Tuvix via transporter to get Tuvok and Kneelix back is not a moral problem as everyone who uses the transporter dies and is replaced by a duplicate anyways :pseudo:

zoux posted:

But that would just be a copy of you. Take for example the simple act of transporting...

No, because you are never destroyed. Just your subatomic particles are pulled apart! But they definitely keep existing.

Nessus posted:

you would eventually change so much ch that you had been reborn. And in the end there is entropy. Unless you want to merge with Multivac.

By this metric you die every single moment of your existence since you have now changed from the you a moment ago.

Also merging with multivac is entirely legit and still continuity. Let there be light!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nessus posted:

Well yeah if you want to get technical you ARE reborn every instant. That’s just not pragmatically useful. :v: Self and permanence are ultimately illusory. But the illusions serve many needs.

yea, that's kinda what i'm saying. The argument that "you will die anyway because you stop being who you are" is silly because that's literally what existing in time means. I'm already a wildly different person than what I was 10 years ago. I remember making decisions that seem entirely insane to me 15 years ago. Like, I know they happened and I know I decided on them but I can not understand why I did them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux was asking if there were bad jackets.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Knormal posted:

Remember that time Sisko wore a weird vest for like a week?

Was Janeway the only captain not to get some weird uniform variant?

She had the glove thing for a bit.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

And there are quite a lot of people who argue that they die, that in many ways we should consider the butterfly a different entity to the caterpillar, and they're a species that cycles between two types of life down the family tree.

No one says this though.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

oh hey are we doing continuity of consciousness chat again because the human mind is an ongoing process running on a biological substrate that changes but does not stop when unconscious/asleep and as far as I know has never been successfully restarted once completely stopped so if you halt the process completely then start up a new identical process on identical substrate, that first process is loving dead and the second one is a copy hope this helps I guessssss

it gets trickier if you can somehow restart the process on the exact same substrate. is Robocop still Murphy?

yea nah if my substrate it totally destroyed and an exact copy is made i'm still the exact same person when I wake up after being remade because from my perspective i'm exactly the same and my perspective is the only one that matters.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Trixie Hardcore posted:

So those people that existed as transporter worms for awhile, were they dead in the transporter while they were worms or were they reborn as worms in the transporter and then reborn as people as they exited the transporter or what?

They were trying to communicate with broccoli so i'd say they were still alive.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Cushing as Tarkin felt especially ghoulish because he looked like an actual ghoul born from a haunted PS4.

Setting aside the morality of it for a second I thought the Fake Moff Tarkin bit worked visually cause they did kind of ham it up with the shadows and stuff. He did look unsettling. As he should, since he's a monster.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

the initial version will still be dead.

Nah. I'd still be the original because I'm still me.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I don’t think Tarkin worked visually but I guess I have a hypertuned sensitivity to uncanny valley poo poo that I don’t think most people experience since I don’t think I’ve ever seen a cgi replacement that didn’t ick me out.

I think you either need to go all real humans or all fake humans for any movie with humans. If you put a fake person in a scene with real people it’s incredibly distracting and uncomfortable to watch. How am I supposed to pay attention to what is happening in a scene if you’ve got some cgi golem shambling around being an affront to humanity in it?

I mean, yes it was uncanny valley I'm just saying it worked this time because you should be icked out by him.

Also, as a counterpoint to the "everyone human or everyone not", muppet movies.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Okay, Muppet Game time.

You are going to reshoot Star Trek The Voyage Home.

All characters except for one are replaced by muppets. What muppet goes where and who do you keep as a human?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arivia posted:

I disagree. You have to keep TWO characters as not being replaced by muppets: George and Gracie.

George and Gracie did not have speaking lines so they are exempt.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

Ok, I've settled on

Kermit as Kirk
Gonzo as Spock
Fozzie as McCoy
Piggie as Uhura
A Pretty Human Lady as the marine biologist
Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker as Scotty
I'm going to go with Swedish Chef as Chekhov
And, I think Sam Eagle as Sulu, but he's going to talk to George Takei.

Dr. Teeth and the electric mayhem will definitely make an appearance, and the rear end in a top hat with the boombox can be played by sweetums.

Edit: I seriously considered Mad Harry for Chekov

Instead of Punk On Bus you could just have the electric mayhem playing on the bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Admiralty Flag posted:

Statler and Waldorf as the Federation Council

"We need to demote that Kirk again!"
"Why?"
"I've seen better landings on a whaling barge!"
"oh oh oh oh oh"