Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Eighties ZomCom posted:

There's also stuff like beaming back Picard from space when he beamed himself out as pure energy using the pattern buffer to put him back into his body or Kirk being split into his Good and Evil selves but trying to explain it all with :techno: lies madness.

Yup, that's why whenever I post about the whole teleporter/replicator stuff I sprinkle "Please ignore all the times on screen this is wrong" throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Or maybe he walked off the holodeck and immediately had to go over to pegasus and didn't have time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

HD DAD posted:

my favorite star trek game is when I watch all my favorite episodes and pretend the crew are my friends

Okay Barclay calm down.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There's some bangers in there. Most of the two parters good, and you get things like The Thaw or Jetrel. But yea the premise was wasted.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

What was the bad thing

Everything.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The first two seasons are only "not drowning in god poo poo" only in comparison to the rest of it. But the whole time the Cylons are waging a holy war.

The tagline for the show was "God has a plan for you" which was referenced in the first episode.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The biggest letdown of BSG is that the entire time they keep promising to show you what's really going on, why all this stuff keeps looking like god did it.

Then you find out god did it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Taear posted:

IT's the sonic screwdriver for me
They're stuck somewhere, welp it's screwdriver time

They poked fun at that in one of the multi-doctor specials with the war doctor. Tennent and Smith flip around and point theirs at something and the old doctor yells at them "It's not a weapon it's a scientific instrument"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I think the SNW Enterprise is *just* the perfect environment for a big nerd from the future to geek out about.

Prediction: he grabs Uhura's earpiece out of her ear and starts ranting about historical tech

Mariner makes fun of Pike's wall of knick knacks

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Who does Mariner flirt with and why is it Nurse Chapel?

Ortegas because they're both badasses

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sash! posted:

Doctor said that was healthy

Did the doctor have 3 arms?

You may have misunderstood.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I also fell for that

Anyone that grew up with TNG as their first Star Trek got fooled

I knew picard was gonna be poo poo when the promos were coming up showing this lovely version of the federation that was all "they are among us" about romulans and poo poo.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BrotherJayne posted:

Waiting for them to patch in more resolutions, end my 2560x1440

Waiting for it to come off epic.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arivia posted:

okay so the infamous "there's coffee in that nebula" line is 5 episodes in and is literally the punchline to an opener about janeway trying to connect with her crew and be more than a captain to them and having to deal with neelix's "coffee" replacement. in context it makes a lot more sense than it's made a mockery of.

Yup. The whole meme about it is mostly just telling on the people who use it more than a passing shitpost that they don't know what they're talking about but are convinced they do because they watched a youtube takedown or something.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea I really thought that the space irish one was season 1.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Unnatural Selection is awful because it treats Pulaski's luditism as a good thing. And trying to make Bones Mk II was a poor play on their part.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think everyone understands what they were going for, the only question is if people think it worked, it sucked, or worked well enough to ignore it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tunicate posted:

the back and forth with spock and mccoy comes across as friendly bantering
since data doesn't do any of the 'forth', pulaski comes across as bullying instead

I dunno, "One is my name, the other is not" is a pretty good data slam.

Also the main point of contention with that episode in particular isn't so much her interaction with data, so much as it supports her refusal to accept technology as the right choice instead of a personal failing. She's like a middle manager of today saying that people can't do their jobs remotely they have to come in and talk around the water cooler.

And instead of her going "hey maybe next time i'll just use one of the 10s of thousands of loving space sensors that can see a microbe 5 lightyears away, instead of going off of vibes" she's right and that's that.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Everything I don’t like is actually an arbitrarily alternate timeline and therefore

What exactly is arbitrary about this?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What isn’t arbitrary about “I don’t like [thing], therefore it’s no longer part of official canon”?

So, you don't know what the word arbitrary means. Got it!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Now try to comprehend the words. It's the internet, you got time.

"These two things can't be true at the same time so I pick A" is a reason that is neither random choice nor personal whim.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Respectfully, get absolutely hosed dude.
Dismissing someone else as "oh you just don't personally like it" is lovely, so maybe don't be a such an rear end if you don't want people coming back at you.

Timby posted:

"I pick" is a personal whim, you dingdong.

No. It isn't. A whim is "oh, I feel like Spock's sister is real today". A reaction to changes in content isn't a whim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

It's also perfectly acceptable to just go "Hmm, okay. I get where you're coming from" and the shut the gently caress up because it's not worth arguing about it even if you know in your heart you're right because it's a stupid hill to die on and everyone thinks you're the weirdo here currently.

It's a star trek thread in tv/iv. Everyone posting here is a weirdo. vOv