Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Rockin' the Sisko look there. drat right.

Someone photoshop a TOS insignia on this, the background's already perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

If they didn't have a Saucer Sep™ in the pilot, there would have never been a saucer separation because it would be too expensive to film later.

And ironically, I believe it was the very filming and editing of it for the pilot that convinced them not to use it as much as they were planning anyway. The finished product dragged episode pacing to a halt so it went from "every major battle sequence" to "serious emergencies only". Note how in BoBW the separation is done in a tiny like 2-second shot from Locutus's perspective and reconnection is entirely offscreen between acts.

Powered Descent posted:

I forget who it was that pointed out that Roddenberry tended to name his characters in a very particular way -- one or two syllables, often featuring the "K" sound.

Think about it. Pike, Kirk, Spock, Scott, McCoy, Decker. Picard, Riker, Crusher. These are names that sound like they're coming to kick your rear end. Short, to the point, and they all have a very different sound than a name like "Roddenberry".

If I ever become a pro wrestler my name is totally gonna be Doctor Crusher. Say like the announcement guy for the TNG upcoming episode commercials, DOC-TORRRRR CRRRRRRUSHERRRRRRRRRRRR :flex:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 7, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's really too bad, I was looking forward to red jackets and ribbed turtlenecks again.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nessus posted:

Given that they swap species around and regenerate organs I imagine that just about any injury can be repaired if you get to sickbay in any kind of alive state, or even very freshly dead. Even with major brain damage they can probably make you come back but that one you might need some brain chips for. Under this rubric, gender transition would probably be a substantial medical operation but not anywhere near as problematic as it is in the modern day, probably similar to wearing braces, and no doubt treated the same way.

Yeah, when Quark got a gender flip in "Profit and Lace" it was treated as neither an excessively difficult medical procedure nor any kind of socially challenging practice in and of itself. That doesn't save the rest of the episode from being a desperately unfunny attempt at gender-bending comedy of errors, but at least they hit that nail on the head.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 8, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baka-nin posted:

I'm pleased someone brought this up, at the time when DS9 was running they were so afraid of a gay association that they really heavily marketed the whole its not Jadzia she loves its the male form of Dax. The dvd extra's recorded in the early 2000's dedicate several minutes to further hammering home this "Love trancends physicality, its not about two women kissing but about two lovers, remember Dax is a parasite symbiotic lifeform and this is the romance that the characters are reliving". Seriously you see Avery Brooks actually squirm in his seat to get out of mentioning that he directed an episode with two women kissing.

Oh and that interracial kiss in TOS that Trek is so happy to take credit for? Was because sadistic aliens made Uhura and Kirk kiss, while there actors do their very best to communicate how much they hate what's happening to them.

Trek really needs to stop blowing smoke up its own arse.

And people like you need to stop being so disingenuous to score some easy social justice points out of context. DS9 had to play it that way because homosexual content was still a big taboo on TV in the 90s, and even after all the bending over backwards they did to cloak the issue in scifi parable they still got a bunch of hate mail and angry calls because of the actual on-screen kiss. And as for Uhura and Kirk, multiply that by like a hundred for 60s race relations and then also consider that NBC was so leery of offending the Bible Belt that they ordered two versions of the scene, one where they kissed and one where they didn't; Bill and Nichelle decided to gently caress up all the takes of the latter so badly that they had no choice but to go with the former.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I like how you both blame the compromises made to deal with the realities of television production at the time on the productions suffering under them instead of the network masters who forced them, AND you act like "Trek" (as if the franchise is some monolithic single-owner-controlled creative juggernaut, like say Star Wars was) aggrandized for its recognition in breaking social barriers instead of mostly being acknowledged for them from outside, and to a large degree from the very people it was speaking up for. I mean yeah, there's certainly a bunch of stuff that's clearly an example of the social failings of the time (TOS's treatment of women is, complicated, to put it very kindly), but hey, let's throw everything under the bus from the rarefied heights of 2016, golden age of all cultural tolerance. Self-hating fans are the worst.

Here's an exercise for you: After Grace Lee Whitney was let go in the first season Nichelle Nichols was the only female regular left, and by chance spoke to Martin Luthor King Jr. about wanting to leaving the show.

quote:

"He was telling me why I could not [resign]," she recalls. "He said I had the first nonstereotypical role, I had a role with honor, dignity and intelligence. He said, 'You simply cannot abdicate, this is an important role. This is why we are marching. We never thought we'd see this on TV.'"

The exercise was just to read that anecdote in case you hadn't heard it before, please continue to amuse me with more clumsily shortsighted criticisms.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Star Trek did not in fact single-handedly conquer racism, sexism and every form of discrimination by 1970 WHAT A LOAD OF BULLSHIT I CALL SHENANIGANS!!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's definitely the 2nd best TNG movie after First Contact.

What really stinks about it is that there's actually glimmers of greatness in there, but the whole thing just winds up so underwhelming. You're probably right, if it had Romulans instead of the Duras sisters, it would almost definitely be more well-liked. Plus, the climax of the film is kind of a wet fart. Picard and Kirk are fighting to save a pre-warp civilization on a planet we haven't ever seen. Why do we as an audience care? Hasn't Picard also let pre-warp civilizations die because of the Prime Directive?

The problem is the way the script just springs the fact that the planet's inhabited on us practically right before it's about to blow up, like as they were writing it someone literally went "hey I don't think the stakes are high enough, let's put an indigenous population on the planet!", inserted that single line right there and called it a day. The film doesn't put in any work to make us sympathetic towards people we don't know and have never seen, so big surprise, we don't really care about them or feel their loss when the planet goes kaboom. It wouldn't even take that much, like mention in the stellar cartography scene that the Enterprise recently conducted an ethnographic survey in the Veridian system and give Picard some dialog about how rich and fascinating their culture is, something to establish the setting a little.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Speaking of Romulans, I loving love TNG-era warbirds. They might be my favorite spaceship in anything.

Yeah, Romulan Warbirds are gorgeous and imposing and I'm really sad we didn't get one in Generations. Also I agree with pretty much everything you said re: TMP. To this day I have no problem sitting through the Enterprise shuttlepod tour, between the music and the exquisite detailing of the model it's just cinematic hedonism.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sash! posted:

Only if the clone that orchestrated your clone murder was a secret clone of you too, made to test you to see if you could order your clone to kill a clone of itself.

In a VR simulation.

Being run on your clone.

By the original you.

Who is also a clone.

CLONE BONE!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

On the other hand, Ron Moore was the driving force behind most of those Klingon-centered episodes, and if I remember right his conceptualization of the Klingon Empire was that while the upper echelons might be corrupt as gently caress, the Empire as a whole was still largely efficient and fair.

I don't see why this wouldn't be the case, the few times we see Klingons who aren't politicians or military fratbros they seem pretty on the level. It's just like anywhere else, most people are just people trying to get by but to get into the elite you either are a corrupt rear end in a top hat or become one in the process. Which just makes Martok all the more awesome.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Well, one time a transporter accident turned Keiko into a literal child and she still expected Miles to perform his, uh, marital duties. Yeah.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

Ah, I just assumed it was Gene. Because you know... knowing Roddenberry and his history.... I wouldn't exactly put it past him....

Jesus Christ, I was gonna make a sarcastic post yesterday about Gene not possibly having ever done anything nice or forward-thinking because of course everyone knows he was an alcoholic plagiarizing serial rapist, but I decided not to kick the hornet's nest. Nice to see I didn't need to bother!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

And then a location grip died of lung cancer smoking six cartons of Lucky Strikes into a rock monster suit for a sequence that didn't even get into the final cut!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

I honestly feel like a gay Kirk or Spock would have felt less jarring and out of place than the Spock \ Uhura romance. Maybe that's because gay Kirk \ Spock fanfiction has been around for 50 years and literally invented the genre.

It's really funny to consider that if they made Kirk and/or Spock gay but not interested in the other, that may well have pissed off more fans in total than just going straight (heh) K/S.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I figure if it's good enough design to last nearly a century it's a good ship.

Also did we really see any of these in the dominion war?

PS this guy has a lot of good star trek space ship drawings
http://unusualsuspex.deviantart.com/gallery/46703733/Orthos

Welp there goes the rest of my day.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

Yeah I mean it's nice to go back to old concept art for inspiration but sometimes that poo poo was rejected for a reason, yo

If it is pre-TOS I'd much rather have a Daedalus instead.

we're the spacebaaaaaaaalls

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Constellation was made out of ERTL Enterprise model kits with the decals cut up and rearranged so they could smash it up without ruining a hella expensive shooting model for a single episode, that's why it's 1017. Also nobody gave a poo poo about registry numbers back then, jesus.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CPColin posted:

Maybe ships in Star Trek are always trying to orbit over the same spot, but don't want to go all the way out to geostationary orbit, so they just hang out, blasting their impulse engines all the time, to stay aloft.

I had the exact same idea! And it totally fits with all those TNG-era visuals of the ship hanging out far closer to a planet than geostationary but not zipping along like the Space Shuttle/ISS.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

e: I have made it a point over the years never to google his political views though, same with Adam Baldwin

Throw Dwight Schultz in that bag too.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Payndz posted:

This is basically how Kirk gets and keeps command in the new films. Because the writers are either dumbasses who believe that someone being told "you're in charge until I get back" means they instantly get promoted from (ungraduated) cadet to captain and stay there, or are contemptuous enough of their audience to think they believe that.

"You're the man of the house until I get back from this business trip, son!"

*dad dies in a plane crash*

*next day: 13-year-old boy doing taxes, working at insurance firm*

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

At least Generations and First Contact had amazing scores, the Generations overture and saucer crash sequence and the heavy industrial Borg theme especially stand out as great tracks that I replay to this day. Nemesis is a total blank and in Insurrection, uh, Data and Picard sang Gilbert and Sullivan? :negative:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This is old but seems to bear constant repeating:

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't skip anything you weak rear end babies.

:colbert:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Misery loves company!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I skipped the "Enterprise meets Joe Piscopo, comedy legend" episode, come at me.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

I would be really excited for a show in this period if I believed for one second the look or feel of it would be period appropriate instead of unlivable and fugly like so much modern pop sci fi design

STD is Enterprise until proven innocent, won't get fooled again

Sad but on point

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Met posted:

The fallout of the Federation acquiring Transwarp tech ahead of the other Superpowers.

Transwarp, space nukes and pimpin' Batmobile armor, it's like cheating and jumping yourself ahead a few tech eras in a Civ game.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tighclops posted:

I mean I know it seems needlessly negative to be like that but I can't be the only one who's so burnt out on promises of this that and the other from this IP and others that I'm just in full on "haha gently caress you whatever" mode until a decent trailer drops

Yeah no, it's just sad like "this is where we are now", this whole thing has misguided cash grab written all over it and if it weren't for Fuller's involvement I would be actively disinterested.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Well, he is/was a teenager and had a wildly different life from then on. It makes sense to me in the lens of the first reboot movie, at least.

You're not wrong, but neither is Duckbag.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Which to be honest doesn't make a lot of sense given that the computer should be able to prioritise; just have the direct shaft as part of the main system.

Ah, whatever, they didn't put much thought into it.

An independent direct line in case of accident/damage/general failure of the main system seems pretty well-thought to me.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Barclay explaining step by step how to build a neural interface in the 30 seconds before the enterprise gets blown up

He just told the computer to make an interface capable of defeating plot holes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I really hope an episode of the new show involves someone pretending to be affected by a space anomaly/being to get away with doing or not doing something. "I didn't show up to my post yesterday because a big green hand grabbed me" and then it just blows up from there.

It's Always Sunny On Andoria

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

"The Gang Gets Spacist"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WarLocke posted:

This is from a good few pages back, but James P. Hogan's book Voyage from Yesteryear does something like this. It's more an economy of respect, people do things because they like and/or are good at it, and get recognized for it. Respect/acknowledgement becomes the 'unit of currency' but it's not limited at all - gaining more respect doesn't somehow remove it from other people, it's not a zero-sum game like capitalism.

This is why I like that the Federation unit of currency, when it is rarely mentioned, is the credit -- you're literally getting credit for your accomplishments. :haw:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baka-nin posted:

???? Uh no? The bedrock of philosophy is the ability to demonstrate critical thinking, like most of what I've written is pretty basic philosophical criticism. I think your confusing philosophy with a cult.

Parroting philosophical criticisms doesn't mean anything because just like the last three or four times you went apeshit in this thread, you misread someone's intentions and then wildly rambled about nothing important or meaningful.

All Subyng did was state a basic philosophical concept that ties into Data's characterization and you went crazy with the accusations of "trying to be deep", when he was essentially being shallow on purpose. You're drowning yourself in a two-inch-deep puddle here.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

After The War posted:

I'd count that time the unjoined Trill steals the Dax symbiant, myself.

I was thinking the same thing, invading your body to steal part of your identity has definite allegorical value.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

It's just occurred to me that these people are either 30 feet tall, or just massively out of scale with the rest of the station.

What do you think Giant Spock's been up to all this time? :pervert:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Duckbag posted:

I did like that they started using more foreheads as borg as it went on, but it's sort of a shame they didn't do more with that in terms of makeup. Latex, plus whiteface, plus lots of weird black metal bits means that the drones all tend to have this neutral appearance. It conveys the assimilation idea, but it also makes it super hard to tell what their original species is supposed to be and the prevalence of a certain type of extra among the borgs (stone-faced white guys), meant that the insane diversity of their origins never really came across.

I'm not sure if you fully appreciate what production was like for a 26-episode-per-season show in the (mostly) pre-digital era.

I guarantee nearly every "why didn't they do [really cool VFX thing]?" brought up in the last ten pages was brought up back then, and shot down with some combination of time constraints, budget constraints, insufficient manpower or union rules.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 20, 2016

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

To understand you solids, I replicated a whole "mess of buffalo wild wings," consumed the lot and then simulated violent diarrhea.

Prophets help us if he researches early 21st century Earth and discovers a certain preoccupation with pantshitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If Enterprise were a much better show, or at least a ballsier one, it might have suggested that the Suliban were the allegorical Native Americans standing before the expansion of the pre-enlightened-Federation human colonial hegemony and that's why you never see any in the later series.

Speaking of fixing anachronisms...

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The NX should be allowed to be who she is, which is an Akira that the producers literally wanted in a prequel with no modifications whatsoever.

Sorry man, it's lipsticks and pigs all the way down.