Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TIL Henry Mancini did an intensely late-70s cover of the TOS theme for an album of themes and it’s kinda great

https://youtu.be/xWAqpURRqos

hell yes

e: lol "intensely late-70s" is loving right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
they could seriously just use AI upscaling on the vfx shots, i don't think most people would give a poo poo. you're right that the rest of the show suffers from the pulldown though and i hate it so much

my solution was to get the PAL DVDs and manually convert them to film standards (i.e. slow it down), i think it looks much better. they're higher resolution to begin with and the regular film footage doesn't actually need to be deinterlaced, it's not really baked into the stream until you hit a rendered vfx shot (they are mpeg2 program stream flags). you can use a regular deinterlacing filter on it then without making the whole episode look janky. it's not much but it's a way of getting cleaner footage

e: oh i meant pulldown. lol. it's been a long day

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 6, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
they still have the original masters. footage from them was used for "what we left behind", which also had completely new 4K CG footage

honestly the DVD transfers are pretty good for what they are beyond season... 3 i think. i have no idea what happened around there for sure but there is a very noticeable difference in quality from season 2 to 3. basically they could remaster the SD footage they already have just by transferring it to a larger colorspace and it would look fine

they just won't :argh:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

SCheeseman posted:

Are they? From what I understand the original masters are NTSC, I would have assumed PAL versions are derived from that?

I read the masters switched from composite to component masters at that time. Given the dot crawl disappears at that point, makes sense.

they are higher resolution on output (576p vs. 480p). i don't know if it is the same source material but i wouldn't be surprised, it is just sped up around 4% overall (so i think it is at least a separate encode, probably using telecined film sources).

anyway as a general principle when you're re-encoding something and filtering it, it's always better to have more to work with than less: i usually would go from 576 -> 480 when re-encoding for exactly that reason. it's not like you're going to get perceptible generation loss from them running a telecine again anyway, it's basically a scanner

e: lol, forgot to respond to the other part: yeah that makes sense! it looks like the color quality got a ton better too. never put them together but there it is

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 6, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah probably, i don't know anything about what kind of format they're in or what state

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
if the source edit for the encode is something that's already being stored with lovely chrominance resolution then simply re-encoding it is not going to fix anything, that information is literally missing. they'd need to scan the film again anyway

but really, for the era i think the color grading on the DVDs is honestly not that bad. for comparison if you wanna see an absolutely loving terrible contemporary example, take a look at the TNG DVDs. they were heinously bad

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
nobody is saying that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
TAS is one of my favorites because of its absurdity :colbert:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i think it's fair to say that the dvds look fine but the encode they did for paramount+ (and most other streaming services) is pretty bad. it's not that you can't make it look good — like i said, using the PAL dvds as a source is a bit of a pain in the rear end but worth it imo — it's that they clearly didn't even try

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

SCheeseman posted:

It'd be better, but the PAL versions are still second generation copies taken from the original NTSC tapes and the DVD versions have further generation loss from MPEG2 compression. Those who did the original PAL conversion just did a better job with the 3:2 pulldown process than the Paramount+ versions where they didn't account for different field orders from scene to scene. If a full blown remaster isn't an option, they'd be better off sourcing from the original tapes again, cleaning those up and performing pulldown correctly.

there is no pulldown on PAL

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
regardless of accent doohan's voice becomes very distinct if you watch TAS

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MikeJF posted:

They had a section 31 short series planned but because Michelle Yeoh is suddenly highly in demand and very expensive they're compressing it down to a single TV movie instead.

i think it was a series, then a limited series, and now it's a tv movie lol

timby said the writers had 11 episodes in the can already, which makes me think they were planning far more long term

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

bull3964 posted:

45 literally just proposed sanctuary districts.

its on schedule

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

^ Is that John Schuck, the actor who was the Klingon representative in IV and VI?

yes

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MikeJF posted:

Picard spoilers but classic trek interest: Some nice HD 360 panoramas of the recreated D bridge here http://prmntpl.us/EnterpriseD360

this is cool, it shows just how much space there is on a bridge. having been on a kinda-sorta replica the chairs are surprisngly far away, there's a lot of empty space everywhere, and the bridge monitors are way further back than it seems, etc.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i like coming up with alternate lyrics to faith of the heart

it's not a long chode
won't get from there to here
it's the wrong time
get that away from my ear

etc.

makes it more palatable lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i've been playing around with the roddenberry archive bridges and they're incredibly well done. if they're really going to go add more details that's gonna be amazing

right now i'd settle for some sound but i know how difficult that can be too

e: plus i guess they'd need to come up with some entirely new sfx for some of them? idk what they're gonna do but i'm kinda excited to find out. even the XCV-330 is pretty drat interesting to walk around

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
"LET'S GO ALREADY"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
if terry gets his legacy show all of the characters will have horrible catchphrases. riker's will be "LET'S BOOGIE" because he likes jazz, you see. former borg seven of nine will simply say "comply". raffi will say "engage" because apparently she is friends with jean-luc. and despite being a newly minted ensign jack crusher will say "let's loving gooo" at least once every episode as everyone on the bridge stands and claps for the special boy

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i refuse to believe anyone legitimately watched this all the way through

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

wesleywillis posted:

If people don't enlist in starfleet how the gently caress do they join?

nepotism

e: lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Boxturret posted:

Yeah I had to keep reminding myself during those scenes that all 3 characters on screen were all the same actor.

literally can't tell if this is ironic

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

CainFortea posted:

Well, sure but I didn't want to just go into detail (again) about the analog nature of transporters vs digital nature of replicators and "resolution" usually gets the point across.

:thunk:

is this from a technical manual or something? i don't remember anything in any of the series mentioning this. it seems to me that they both would be digital signals

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

CainFortea posted:

Yes, it's in the technical manual.

Basically the replicators have the data to construct things but not their quantum states. So it can digitally record things like Gagh, but it will be dead Gagh with the same nutritional values of live Gagh. Things that are normally something to do with quantum states are actually just algorithms that approximate normal values. So it's not like it has a recording of each electron's energy state in a cup of tea when it's hot vs when it's room temperature. It just knows that each energy state is about X value, +/- Y following Z pattern and fills it in.

Transporters do not record the information digitally in a computer system somewhere else (please ignore the occasions where this happens on screen, yes I know it happens sometimes. I'm talking about the technical manual's explanation that usually holds true). Basically they tear the target apart at the subatomic level, destructively reading it's states as it does so and writes this information on the stream of subatomic particles as it's vacuuming them up. So the matter stream itself is also a record of the pattern of the starting target. This stream can be read in small chunks looking for known patterns, which is how the biofilter works.

Then it's put back together, destructively reading the pattern on the matter stream to do so. Which is why you can't just have a backup copy of officers before they get beamed down.

huh, neat. i appreciate the explanation, that makes a surprising amount of sense

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think he's mentioned but he doesn't physically appear again

worf does mention him (specifically, the clone) a couple times in DS9. i think some other klingons do too but i'm not sure, but either way yeah he doesn't actually show up

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Knormal posted:

Somehow I have ended up with a bunch of old Star Trek commercials in my Youtube recommendations.

This one goes hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l96aDWIbn48
And this one is ridiculously well done, but apparently never aired in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZBTDlvShYg

these are awesome

Delsaber posted:

Those hard cuts to the Amok Time fight theme in the Cheer ad are killing me, it's like an Aqua Teen bit decades early

lmao yeah. i wonder if they just looped that one part because it was all they were able to license

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

BonHair posted:

I may have read more into it than intended, but I remember it being implied that they essentially just stuck him on a throne and then just kept the exact same political system only with Kaahless* as a symbolic figurehead who is obviously the head of the empire as long as he doesn't actually do anything. I guess it's like the British monarchy, except newly instituted. But also an empire in decay.
It helps that that explanation lets the Klingon empire keep being the same without outright contradicting, walking back or ignoring that episode.

*I'm gonna go ahead and use old Star Wars EU clone naming conventions because they're hilarious

yep, that was pretty much the intention. in TNG the equivalent of klingon religious fundamentalists basically forced the change by cloning kahless and programming the clone with "memories" from klingon lore, and they wanted him to replace gowron because they were sick of political bullshit

per memory alpha though the bits in DS9 i was thinking of were in "the way of the warrior" and "the sword of kahless". in the first instance he had condemned the cardassian invasion but was basically revealed to be powerless when he failed to stop it, and in the second kor mentioned specifically that he was "toothless" and refused to give him the sword (which arguably should have belonged to him)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Boxturret posted:

I finally finished my TNG rewatch, took a two year break in the middle of season 5 for some reason. Such a nice show, All Good Things is such a wonderful ending I'm fine with just completely ignoring everything that comes after.
I originally caught random episodes here and there when I happened to be watching TV so I was surprised that a good 95% of the episodes I had seen at least part of. DS9 wasn't on at an accessable time so I think I've only seen a handful of full episodes, so going through it will be mostly new.

man i'm always jealous of people going through DS9 for the first time. it's really a fantastic series

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i admit i was psyched for picard. they even announced it on my birthday :smith: lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

A month ago I bit the bullet and binged the first season of Disco. It was...intriguing, like someone with a lot of money got quality actors to do their terrible fan fiction. Burnham being Spock's sister is such an over-the-top fan fiction-y thing it kinda wrapped around to being funny. My love of Michelle Yeoh and Jason Issacs carried the season for me, but I noped out after a couple episodes of S2.

Live action Boimler and Mariner looks amazing, genuinely hyped.

it's a really shame that discovery's writing is just overall terrible. i remember thinking the production design was pretty good too, nothing stuck out as being very obviously low-budget. i mean, even if i didn't think the general direction was appropriate it was still kinda cool looking

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i actually find myself going through TNG season 2 a lot when i'm bored and want to put on a TNG episode

i think it's actually not that bad, particularly if you like TOS. it seems to me like they were continuing the "TOS episode, but with a different cast" formula from season 1, just with a few more guardrails and less turmoil in the writer's room so it seems more cohesive

that's not to say it's all great or anything, there are definitely bad episodes. but in particular i like:

- where silence has lease
- elementary, dear data
- the schizoid man
- a matter of honor
- the measure of a man
- contagion
- the royale
- time squared
- q who?
- samaritan snare
- peak performance

they're not all absolute bangers but they range from "fine" to "great". coincidentally that's 11/22 episodes so i can't even say "there's more bad than good". i think season 1 is way more uneven

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Basebf555 posted:

Season 2 is definitely where I started to notice that they'd have stretches of two or three episodes in a row that were very good. In Season 1 the good episodes were more the exception, I felt like I had to get through three or four episodes to get one that was good.

yeah contagion/the royale/time squared is a really solid block that's great for bedtime viewing

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Unnatural Selection? No, I don't agree with that one. It's not a great episode but it's hardly unwatchable.

i like it well enough too, just not enough to go on my list of stuff i'd watch on heavy rotation. i guess it's a bit too similar to "the deadly years" but i don't really have any specific complaints about it beyond the resolution (using a hair with the transporter to mash a reset button is a bit meh)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

CainFortea posted:

Unnatural Selection is awful because it treats Pulaski's luditism as a good thing. And trying to make Bones Mk II was a poor play on their part.

that kinda goes back to what i was saying before, with it seeming as if it were following the "TOS, but with a different cast" formula. pulaski is basically a genderswapped bones and data is quite obviously a spock stand-in. beyond those two in particular the rest of the cast get analogues too but it's less obvious beyond their normal rank/roles

it works to a point. there are (okay, more than) a few times where pulaski's android hate just seems completely unwarranted and mean, but... you could say the same thing about bones' attitude towards spock. some of their interactions are really pretty mean-spirited, even if you can tell they ultimately respect each other at the end of the day

to me, whether or not that dynamic really translates isn't really the issue, it's more that spock was always pretty quick to defend himself to mccoy; it comes across as completely different. he'd usually respond with either a pithy comment about humans in general or something denigrating about mccoy in particular. in contrast, data doesn't do that — unlike spock, he (supposedly) truly doesn't have emotions and regardless wouldn't deliberately try to insult someone anyway. it makes each encounter with pulaski seem less fair, but it's in essence the same dynamic. them ultimately respecting each other is there too, there's just far less emphasis on it than the conflict (and the rest of the cast always getting along probably serves to accentuate that unintentionally)

i know that's not going to convince anyone that pulaski is actually good or that making her into bones was the right choice, but i at least see what they were going for

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 26, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

CainFortea posted:

I think everyone understands what they were going for, the only question is if people think it worked, it sucked, or worked well enough to ignore it.

yeah. personally i think it works. we see things from a more omniscient viewpoint than the rest of the crew, and also have the benefit of seeing data perform his role pretty well during the first season (even if there are some anachronisms where he seems like he has emotion, or uses a contraction, etc.). to us, having pulaski question his capabilities or capacity to do his duty seems ridiculous, and we almost always have some member of the command crew backing data up anyway — picard tells pulaski that "he knows exactly what he's doing" etc.

but really, i could see some humans that had never served with an android questioning whether or not they were as capable as claimed — things usually aren't (see the recent AI craze, for example). her taking this position as the CMO makes sense too, since she'd probably be pretty interested in how the crew is performing, whether or not data can be used in situations dangerous to biological beings, stuff like that. she'd also necessarily need to know what he's not capable of

of course, by the end of the season she's still questioning his fallibility to the point that it causes data a crisis of confidence, though, but i feel like we wouldn't have ever gotten to that point without pulaski growing a bit to respect data. part of the reason she pushes him to play strategema is because she seems to truly believe he can win. of course it also backfires, but i don't think that was really her fault or intention

though yeah it does seem very mean spirited at times. i think part of that is because of the emphasis on eliminating intrapersonal conflict within the crew (for the rest of the cast), though. when there's no conflict anywhere but there, of course it's going to seem weird

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
were there ever any plans for pulaski to appear beyond season 2? it seems like "peak performance" was trying to set her up as finally accepting data as a crew member. i wonder if they were ever going to go anywhere with it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i looked into a bit after posting that and i lol'd at these bits on her wiki page:

quote:

"We needed someone with a little more of an edge," Rick Berman explained of the choice. "Kate's a strong, confident woman with an edge who can hold her own with Captain Picard. Their relationship is not all that unlike the one between Kirk and McCoy ... although from the onset we had no intention of trying to duplicate the original team."

well thanks for that rick, let's see what muldaur says herself

quote:

I hadn't kept in touch with Gene over the years. I'd only done a pilot of his, Planet Earth, in 1974, so this call was totally out of the blue. I love being back in Star Trek. It's a challenge, but a healthy challenge. I find so much TV depressing—even the sitcoms. The chances of shows working and being funny or meaningful are very slim, but this show is very exciting. It has such an uplifting view of humanity in the 24th century. They want the crafty old doctor, so basically I'm a woman Dr. McCoy.

:allears:

this bit about the character's relationships with picard and data was also pretty interesting

quote:

We've been in a fairly stormy relationship due to two very strong personalities, but we end up admiring each other. I'm also giving Brent Spiner (as the android, Data) a very hard time, treating him as a total machine, because that's how I see him, a machine that I can't treat and I don't deal with. But I'm also beginning to see the wonderful android that he is.

Timby posted:

Diana Muldaur had a very rough time on the set of TNG. For starters, she was paid more than any of the main cast (she was always credited as "special guest star," which carries a pretty big per-episode paycheck), and that created some natural isolation between her and the rest of the cast.

Second, she had a very tough time delivering a lot of the Treknobabble and often required multiple takes to get it right.

So she had an offer to join L.A. Law, and after Maurice Hurley was fired, Rick Berman personally reached out to Gates McFadden and said, "Look, that shithead who harassed you is gone, we'd love to have you back."

it's a shame she didn't enjoy her time on the show. even if she didn't want to become a main cast member some actual guest star slots could have been interesting in the following seasons

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
bones also very clearly actually cared about spock, although he'd never admit it in front of him. with pulaski it's more like eventual begrudging respect, we don't see her privately wish him good luck on a mission or something

i always figured spock was able to tell that mccoy didn't actually hate him anyway. i'm not sure data could

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
why is kirk even showing up on pike's enterprise? i thought kirk says in "the menagerie" that they hadn't really met, just (apparently briefly) when pike got a promotion

i mean, i know we already saw him in "a quality of mercy", but that was the future and didn't actually happen from kirk's perspective

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

nine-gear crow posted:

I think SNW has managed to thread the needle fairly deftly for the most part in terms of chucking out bits of canon like that in the name of doing fun and interesting things with the characters. If it stuck rigidly to canon, we wouldn't have gotten Spock Amok which is a contender for a top ten all time Trek episode.

The SNW crew has earned my trust at this point with whatever the hell they want to do with Kirk from here onward.

it just seems unnecessary. there are more than 10 people in the federation, they can have us follow someone else. there are plenty of new characters on SNW that they could flesh out, and even if there weren't, there always could be

idk it seems kinda silly to try and say "this is a prequel, the things that happened before actually happened after" and then directly contradict that anyway. why bother