Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The last thread ran for three years, which means this is the animated series and 1/4 of us are the same guy with different accents

also I dropped out of the last thread for nearly a year but I'm still #12 on that list. Someone please help me.

If we're in TAS then we're going to have to purchase a bunch of inexplicably pink avatars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

How could you accuse such an innocent-looking guy of something so nefarious??

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

This is canon now. :toot:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

You mean consonance???

https://i.imgur.com/KJOUZwU.mp4

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Like the Voyager episode that treats Janeway's murder of Tuvix as correct, that DS9 episode fails when it doesn't take the time to examine whether indoctrinated cult members would be able to make sound life choices 15 seconds after learning that their leader a fraud.

The whole thing could have worked if they'd taken fifteen seconds to say that Starfleet would be sending a while squad of counselors to help them adjust.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

MikeJF posted:

One of Bryan Fuller's last shows had the two main characters as children losing parents on the same day in the first five mibutes of the show, every single one of his shows has been filled with endless death and tragedy, and yet somehow with the exception of Hannibal it's all been as far away from grit as possible.

Pushing Daisies is the happiest, brightest show about constant death ever made.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

I think no one mentions that village one because it's the worst kind of bad: it's boring. There's nothing to remember about it except that it's bad.

see also: the Brigadoon episode

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

remusclaw posted:

It's unfortunate how Data regressed in the movies. Then again, the TNG movies were all pretty off on characterization, didn't Troi lose her accent?

I think Marina Sirtis forgot how to do it in the break between movies somewhere around First contact or Insurrection.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

All the Picard love-life episodes are tied for The Worst.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Tighclops posted:

Generations was a movie that would have benefited from a lot more time to tighten up the script and maybe it would have helped not to blow all that money building the stellar cartography set and those location shoots

I wonder how much money they blew filming that skydiving scene with Kirk.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

As usual, docevil is at the intersection of devops and star trek.

https://twitter.com/fart/status/752924649994854400

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I always figured that the Klingon Empire that Worf idolizes never existed. Like the Japanese concept of bushido, it was complete bullshit fabricated by an expansionist, militaristic government to justify wars that in truth were about grabbing territory, grabbing resources, or settling grudges. Worf, being raised among humans, simply wasn't in on the joke.

It's a little harder to convince a Klingon, though. Especially when their Excalibur turns out to be real.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

CommaToes posted:

I've been watching DS9's first season again for the first time in a while (I usually just watch the pilot, Duet and the last ep of the season), and I am enjoying what a shitheap the station is for the first little while.

Everything is always broken and you can tell that the crew doesn't have a handle on it yet.

And I love that it immediately falls apart whenever O'Brien isn't there to hold things together.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

schmitty9800 posted:

My wife insisted that if we were going to start watching DS9, we start with Season 1. About 20 episodes in she couldn't take it anymore, and I couldn't really blame her. My cries of "No, it gets massively better! Trust me! They start writing Bashir a lot better! Avery Brooks takes a while to find his character! All the best characters will be in later seasons! Garak! Weyoun! Martok! WORF, you remember him!" never worked :(

Wait, so you actually powered through to the point where you watched Duet... and she couldn't see why the show was worth watching? :ohdear:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

WickedHate posted:

At least one school teacher wrote in asking for several copies for her classroom. Sweet stuff.

Yup!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Repli'O'Brien's paranoia is such as interesting thing. There's the obvious part where the rest of the crew are overdoing it in terms of making him feel comfortable and relaxed, but I wonder:

Imagine that the process of making a replicant wasn't quite perfect. Subtle differences in personality or memory might crop up -- no worse than the gradual change one experiences over time, mind you -- but they'd be experienced as a sudden discontinuity. Suddenly things aren't quite how they should be. People 'feel' different to you in ways you can't describe. Your own emotions are triggered in ways they didn't in your remembered past.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZcIWWjLVZ8

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Huh, I didn't realize Rod Roddenberry had a formal role with the new show.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Yeah, the tone of the first two seasons can be all over the place because the story was so often unmoored from the characters. There are a bunch of episodes with really interesting premises that end up feeling not-TNG because none plot was propelled by the main crew.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

The funniest poo poo to me was the guy who developed super powers in the original show.

The SECOND he starts gathering knowledge, they immediately start plotting to kill him. He hadn't done anything yet. The fact he turned evil seems more like a lucky break than anything else; the whole time I was watching that episode I could not shake the feeling that if the same episode was made today, he'd been the good guy.

Dude was basically an X-Man being hunted for his crime of being too smart/powerful.

On the other hand,

https://i.imgur.com/Px2ZOhs.mp4

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Star Trek IV time travel.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2j3ff_star-trek-le-rogertroutman_creation

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Baka-nin posted:

I guess that first paragraph explains why the Ferengi kept twitching and snarling like they were on the mother of all sugar rushes. Out of everything odd and dumb in the last outpost that's the part that really convinced me that these guys were a joke. I'm pretty sure it was the first thing they ditched while hastily retooling them, they don't act like that in the Battle do they?

That ratlike twitchiness always bugged me. Aron Eisenberg even kept doing for the first few seasons of DS9.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The "aghast at selling tobacco" thing isn't even consistent since Quark had no problem selling weapons to both sides of a bloody conflict.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd say more like post-Cold War Afghanistan.

So what you're saying is that the Antwerp Conference bombing was actually committed by a Vedek?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Nazareth posted:

I usually hate the "evil twin episode" a lot of Western shows like to have. It's rarely done well and it's so tiring when they do it. However, I didn't actually hate this episode. I liked learning about Data's background. It was cool knowing that his creation was inspired by Asiimov. I also have a feeling that we'll see Lore again. I hope he sports a moustache.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 7, 2016

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

PenguinKnight posted:

Riker bringing Data, Pulaski, Geordi, and Worf over for dinner scrambled eggs and whiskey and Worf going crazy for it has to be the greatest cold opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezsy3OSy1fU&t=2m1s

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

twitter is good sometimes
https://twitter.com/BryanFuller/status/763914495555100672

https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/763920365680594944

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Did they make the Daedelus model out of a can of shaving cream, a tennis ball and some cigar tubes? The shape is amateurish compared to basically every other design in the history of the franchise.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

It looks like someone promised to their child that they could help out with a design but then ran out of time to submit the actual version.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

"OK, but what if it was Tuvok who went to warp 10?"

sciencenews.org posted:

“Dark lime green” is how biologist Zachary Rodriguez describes the blood of the Prasinohaema lizards of New Guinea and surrounding islands. “Vivid,” he adds.

With green blood comes Granny Smith-colored muscles and bones and a blue-green mouth, exposed during defensive posturing. But the strangest thing about the five species of Prasinohaema lizard is that they can live like that.

Lime, apple and avocado can be risky blood colors. They indicate that these lizard species build up a toxic substance called biliverdin. The lizards’ red blood cells still depend on hemoglobin, the stuff that ferries oxygen and makes most animal blood red, but any lizard-blood redness is overwhelmed by massive concentrations of the green biliverdin. A breakdown product of hemoglobin, biliverdin gives the greenish edge to bruised human flesh. Most animal bodies quickly whisk it away.

High concentrations of biliverdin, say over 50 micromoles per liter, make humans sick with jaundice. The lizards, however, do just fine with 714 to 1,020 µM/L.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Cons are weird.

https://twitter.com/NichelleIsUhura/status/764569961641586688

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Vic and Ezri both suffer from being shoved in too late in the series run. The writers latched onto them to tell stories they felt they couldn't with the existing cast, but the compressed time frame makes it feel... forced.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Use the Starship Enterprise (or Discovery, or whatever) to visit a variety of societies that can be contrived constructed to specifically highlight whatever issue you want to tackle.

Like other people mentioned, Trek series have done the whole Planet of the Hats thing to the point were sick of it. And besides, it's not like TOS was immune to lovely Federation people- just think of all the garbage ambassadors and commodores and scientists who tried to frame, swindle or get the Enterprise crew killed.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, one thing you can give Voyager is that it tended to try weird space poo poo. It was bad at it, but it usually had the most out-there what the gently caress stuff.

Say what you will about hit hit-to-miss ratio, but Braga was the king of High Concept episodes.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Tears In A Vial posted:

Academy flight trainer

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Academy_flight_trainer

Edit: "The otherwise indiscernible symbol in front of the cockpit was that of Cobra from the G.I. Joe franchise."

And an unused design for the Maquis Fighter ended up becoming the Defiant!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The failure of the Kazon as a concept make the Remans even more hilarious to think about.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Eiba posted:

I was a pretty small child when TNG was first airing... and I have vivid memories of this episode and how utterly terrifying it was. I don't care how little sense it made, that scene in the holodeck where Geordi removes all the people and there's still a humanoid shadow is still one of the most fundamentally disturbing things to me, and I still sometimes have nightmares that feel like that scene, twenty years later.

Thanks Star Trek.

Me too :tinfoil:.

T.C. posted:

I know this isn't why they did it the way they did it, but having consistent kazon personalities showing up wouldn't have made sense with the way they were writing things. Voyager was consistently flying quickly away from them, so the only way they should have had consistent characters showing up is if they were being chased or if they had a storyline where they had to stick around and area doing something. Both of these could have had interesting story lines attached to them, but neither really happened.

Just gimme a metaphor for the badguy who keeps riding horses until they're spent and stealing a new one to keep up the chase. Make the fancy Starfleet ship actually feel threatened because the person after them doesn't care about the long-term efficiency of his engines.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I vaguely remember Kate Muglrew not being the original choice for the lead on the show, Genevieve something was the first choice? I'd just google it but usually Timby has some amazing backstory you don't find in a random search.

Genevičve Bujold played her estranged sister, Nicole Janeway! :v:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Ron Moore posted:

Moore then went on to describe how a typical script might read before the science consultants did their thing:

La Forge: "Captain, the tech is overteching."

Picard: "Well, route the auxiliary tech to the tech, Mr. La Forge."

La Forge: "No, Captain. Captain, I've tried to tech the tech, and it won't work."

Picard: "Well, then we're doomed."

"And then Data pops up and says, 'Captain, there is a theory that if you tech the other tech ... '" Moore said. "It's a rhythm and it's a structure, and the words are meaningless. It's not about anything except just sort of going through this dance of how they tech their way out of it."

:laugh:

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Quark's outfits are the high point of Trek fashion. It's not even close.