Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I think the really frustrating thing about the episode is that at the end Nog tells Jake to tell both sides of the story or whatever instead of doubling down on his (correct) opinion that Watters was a terrible captain who got everybody killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It is pretty fun to listen to Robert Beltran complain about this.

Robert Beltran might have taken his criticism of Voyager a bit far though. He really doesn't come off well.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Hey get your fun out of my very serious space drama I don't want that because I am a horrid bore.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I mean a few pages ago you were saying that Jadzia is better than Ezri so I guess this is the wrong Star Trek opinions mega thread now.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I too have a terrible Star Trek opinion.

I don't think A Night in Sickbay is that bad an episode.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

It is a beard Geordi. A fine, full, dignified beard.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

TNG S7 isn't as bad as is sometimes repeated. Sure it has sub rosa but it also has Gambit and that finale. Also, Emergence is a good episode and so is the one with the native Americans. If they'd kept going with it it would have continued to be fine. They should just have made that show forever like ER. drat cast contracts.

Edit: And it has parallels and the Pegasus. It's a good season.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 7, 2016

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Rhyno posted:

All Good Things is soooooo good that it really brings up the entire season average.

It's such a shame the movies are so bad.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Generations just really underwhelming, and First Contact, in the words of RLM, is "the 3,967th worst movie ever made." As in, it's serviceable as a dumb action movie but the script is hilariously terrible. It's more or less a guilty pleasure, whereas the rest are just guilty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Lr8cdZwHQ

See some of this is legitimate criticism. But so much of it is just pedantic nitpicking.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

The Thaw is a significantly worse episode than Threshold. Threshold is at least gripping in its stupidity. The Thaw is just brain numbing.

What's it like to be so shockingly, painfully wrong? The Thaw is a great, unique episode. You can feel the sense of dread from the second they find the device. Absolutely nothing about t is cliche. It has great guest acting. It's legitimately spooky right up until the last shot of the episode.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I want to like TAS, but I just can't get past how bad some of the voice acting is. Pretty much all non-main characters are crap.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Timby posted:

Pretty much.

They also had to do a massive restoration job just to make it usable for Generations, because it had literally been left to rot after it was hauled out for the saucer separation in Best of Both Worlds (the 4-footer, in addition to having a saucer that looked like a pregnant manta ray with aztecing and hull detailing that seems to have been applied by a blind man with Parkinson's, couldn't separate). Almost all of the internal lighting in the six-footer had frayed and was unusable, the paint job was faded and corrupted, the model itself had been beat to hell during various transports between studios, and that's where yet another huge chunk of Generations' budget went -- something like nearly $1 million went to getting the thing fixed.

The model cost $75,000 at the beginning of TNG's run. There is absolutely no chance that they spent $1 Million fixing it.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

I think The Outrageous Okona is the second worst episode of TNG. But unlike the worst episode, Code of Honor, it has some redeeming value and you should watch it once.

Edit: Actually shades of grey might be worse too.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 10, 2016

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

"I feel strange but also good."
"Well Wes, back on the rape planet where I'm from, we had drugs. While they may make you feel good right now, eventually all drugs will kill you. Except for tobacco and alcohol of course."

Star Trek humans rarely drink real alcohol and I can't recall any examples of one using tobacco. I've always considered this one of the weirdest things about Star Trek.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Am I alone in having basically no hope that this new series is any good or that it lasts longer than a few episodes?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Which is then followed by Family, which is one-third about Wesley's dead dad, one third about Worf understanding human culture as well as he understands Klingon culture, and one third about Picard's lovely brother.

One of the dumbest things about Generations is that it kills off Picard's family from that episode. Generations was all about killing characters terribly I guess.

Edit: what movies was loving Will Wheaton going to do at that point anyway? He didn't grow up that well.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

I know. Why don't they dare going past the DS9 in the timeline? Seriously, what are they afraid of?

It's not as if the universe was left in a shape that wrapped everything up neatly. Hell, with the way the other series ended, it's even more open ended before with whole other quadrants to explore.

I mean if I had my way they'd just keep making 24th century shows forever. I'd be a terrible network executive.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

GreenNight posted:

They're too loving cheap to do anything post Voyager. TOS era means they don't need to really invent anything or come up with cool new technologies. gently caress since it's the prime timeline they don't even need to introduce tech from nu-Spock.

Wait. I thought it was JJ timeline?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Tighclops posted:

I would be really excited for a show in this period if I believed for one second the look or feel of it would be period appropriate instead of unlivable and fugly like so much modern pop sci fi design

STD is Enterprise until proven innocent, won't get fooled again

Except that Enterprise was good.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Enterprise seasons 3 and 4 are better than any season of Voyager and as good as much of TNG though.

The worst thing about ENT is the extent to which certain regular characters were underutilized. Particularly Mayweather. I guess no one wanted to write for him because they never did anything interesting with him at all. In fact this goes to a lesser extent for all the characters other than Trip, Archer, and T'Pol.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 17, 2016

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

armoredgorilla posted:

2nd Hot Take

The Do-Re-Mi improv from the genetically enhanced idiots in Chrysalis is way more aggravating than anything Vic Fontaine has done.

Correct. That's such a weird, lovely episode. What was Bashir thinking?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hey now, why show his historic speech when we have this expensive CGI Enterprise flyover to show you? :haw:

This is the main thing that was wrong with the episode. I think the TNG framing is fine and it's nice to see Riker again. I know I'm seriously in the minority here but I just didn't hate These Are the Voyages... that much. Even Trip dying is in principle fine, although the actual scene where it happens is kind of poor. But jeez at least write part of the speech.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

EDIT: Edit is not quote.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

People call baseball and golf players "athletes" but uhhh... I personally disagree with that. If that's the case, people who play bowling, pinball and video games might as well be called "athletes" too.

Uhh. Have you ever seen a baseball game?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

They admit season 1 dax and season 1 bashir needed some work. In fact the studio demanded Siddig be fired after season 1 but they circled the wagons and protected him. They then gave dax more adventure and her klingon stuff in an attempt to have her do anything.

I'm really glad they didn't fire Siddiq. I really think Bashir had the most character development of anyone in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

skooma512 posted:

I went on an ST binge after trying DS9 finally and loving it.

Lasted through the back half of Voyager as I still had that left over from my last run. Tried Enterprise for 2 seasons and I can't remember anything about it. It's aggressively mediocre.

Just so you know Enterprise improves a lot in its last two seasons. Especially season 4.