Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
when I watched voyager and enterprise I used episode guides to thin things down then got hosed off cause different guides said different things and I felt I missed out on stuff I might have liked

so I decided to do all the trek in vague order of release (well maybe not TOS animated yet), analyse it and make my own rough guide, and while I'm only just closing in on the end of TNG season 7 so far I must talk about trekke-

- having previously not watched any TOS beyond fragments of episodes and a film or two, I was genuinely surprised at just how loving good the good episodes were, "city on the edge of forever" and "the conscience of the king" come to mind but there were at least half a dozen absolutely cracking episodes.

- this was sadly balanced by a lot of very mediocre stuff and some absolute misogynistic poo poo, especially later on when there were a handful of sets and even fewer storylines

- holy gently caress the fifth film was really loving bad I stole popcorn from one of my kids just so I could throw it at the tv and boo loudly, thank gently caress I could watch 6 right after to wash away the stain

- I always had the second season of TNG as a great improvement in my head, but 1+2 become very close in average point score if I ignore the two best episodes from S2 in the calculation, S3 onwards scores generally higher then it gets a bit drifty again around S6

- bit more respect this time around for sirtis's acting, its more she just got a lot of poo poo writing that rarely gave her any agency

- even for '87 or '88 im shocked the tng racist episode made it to air, somehow worse than the loving tos racist one imo

- mr homn is great, coulda done with three times as much mr homn, minimum

- season 1 data seemed a lot more human like than the next few seasons of data

- i'm so fuckin' pumped for ds9 I might make myself do voyager first so I have something to keep looking forward to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Barry Foster posted:

He's a lot more cute that way

avoids the whole "data is having emotions about not having emotions" thing

just as long as all the interactions with spot are the same I'm happy

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

goddamn beverley's scottish sex ghost episode is so insane, a representation of scotland straight out of garth marhenghi's "darkplace" mashed into a mills and boone "romance"

thank gently caress for lower decks coming right after it, rip ensign sito you deserved more plot than that

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

halfway through season 1 of ds9 at the moment and its a breath of fresh air from season 7 of tng

-bashir needs to tone it the gently caress down a bit, drat

-that first scene with him and garak is amazing though

-lighting seems quite harshly done but I like it

-although I would love a remaster, the grain and quality reminds me of late 90s TV and it has a nostalgic property

-o'brien gets better use as a primary cast member right from the start than tng

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

WhiteHowler posted:

Is this your first watch of DS9?

I won't spoil anything, but most of the characters (particularly Bashir) get much better after the first season or so.

it was my initial experience with trek but I only caught about half the episodes as a kid (bbc2 were poo poo about showing them regularly), then I watched it in full a few years back but at a pace of a few episodes a week- now I'm doing all the trek in binges and scoring them I'm paying a bit more attention critically

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

"this is one of Starfleet's most important stations at a critical strategic point, so, erm, you get gently caress all resources and support, good luck"

Timby posted:

What grain? DS9 was finished on video and it has all the natural fuzziness of the format.

Okay it's video fuzz then or whatever it's just very reminiscent of watching it on TV as a kid

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

moving into season 2 of ds9 now on the watch-through-athon

- season 1 by far the most solid first season yet, didn't like the q episode as much, felt like a tng episode rewritten to fit

- love that they are already doing three parters- homecoming/circle/siege was a great way to start today, that "to be continued" screen set off some great nostalgic feelings and I don't have to wait a whole week!

- vedek winn is delightfully infuriating, an excellent villain character and well played

- bashir got toned down a bit thank gently caress

- cast seem to have good chemistry and to be having fun with it

- can't put my finger on why but it just feels more modern than '93-'94 era TV

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

ds9 season 2 warms things up so nicely for season 3 in terms of the grand arc and also has a few real standout episodes, like having now seen TOS it was really great to recognise kor/koloth/kang showing up for blood oath, notable mentions also to the wire and necessary evil, probably the lowest point in the season was sisko falling for a spoopy space ghost cause he was sad about wolf 359 but even that was watchable

start of season 3 now and it's great they get a new ship and then promptly get it all hosed up

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I only ever watched voyager with an episode guide before, not sure if the bad episodes will make the better ones more watchable when I binge them all or whether it's just gonna get miserable

zoux posted:

The USS Defiant is the coolest ship ever introduced in a Star Trek series.

hard agree I just love that it gets disabled on the first mission out, but then after they showed a galaxy class getting punked a few episodes before I guess they had to keep making the dominion out to be a big threat

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I couldn't get into any dr who after sylvester mccoy/ace era- there was a significant gap and then when there was more I was older and it seemed aimed at a younger audience

tng/ds9 was my star trek, and then also a bit later red dwarf in the parodic sense of it

enjoying mid season 3 of ds9 now and it really feels like it's found full stride and is ready to break out into a full run

past tense was one I really remember from childhood and thinking "drat I hope things don't get that bad" and just lol, lmao now

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I didn't mind, even enjoyed disco but I viewed it as something trek adjacent- like the different universe films- and it was very pretty to look at

But then I watched it after enterprise so my scale was probably hosed and when I come to it on my watch through it probably won't score all that great

unlike ds9, though I did have my first episode where I lost interest a bit- "distant voices" where bashir is trapped in his own head- his acting has improved since season 1 but the writing wouldn't have been saved by someone twice as good

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh yeah, that's definitely one of the weak ones. As I remember it, Bashir basically realizes what's going on like 10 minutes into the episode, and then the rest of it is just him wandering aimlessly around a set that we already know is a dream and just trying different things to get out of it. They screwed up the dramatic tension.

that's a good summary of why it's bad- just ends up being boring

there was an episode around it where lwaxana is making crew fall for each other because of some weird betazoid horny cupid fever thing and I didn't like it much but it was never straight up boring like that one was

Sir Lemming posted:

Fortunately you're really close to the one-two punch of "Improbable Cause" and "The Die Is Cast" which I remember being some of the best episodes of the series.

Yeah it was drat good after lots of teased bits and foreshadowing in previous episodes (the romulans trying to get as much info on the dominion as possible etc) it gave a good measured dose of action, drama and exposition- I binged the rest of the season today and the finale to 3 seemed a bit weak in comparison- almost seemed like it would have been better switched around in position with those two

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

The way of the warrior is a fuckin' great way to start off a season, goddamn

does the following "Jake's an old man now and time travel poo poo happened" episode kind of a disservice when watching them through without the weekly delay as the change in pace/emotion feels jolting

*edit

:smith: goddamn it hits different now :smith:

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I don't think dax is technically trans but it was a chance to explore issues related to it on early 90s tv

case in point the relationship between jadzia and lenara in "rejoined" which I just watched and is now also making me have a little cry on my morning trek watch goddamn