Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

WickedHate posted:

Something I just realized, why is it called a holodeck even when it's not a deck on a ship?

Why do you drive in parkways and park in driveways?!?!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Apollodorus posted:

- Earth, Jefferson, 1795

- Earth, Limbaugh, 2016

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

The scene in Insurrection where Worf wakes up from a nightmare aboard the Enterprise was supposed to be him dreaming about Jadzia.

http://i.imgur.com/o4gm4eL.mp4

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Tighclops posted:

Generations was a movie that would have benefited from a lot more time to tighten up the script and maybe it would have helped not to blow all that money building the stellar cartography set and those location shoots

Or told them a few years before so they could have saved the Yesterday's Enterprise script.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I always loved 6 with Kirk giving himself poo poo about his life long ambition.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Uhh JJ Abrams just said the next Trek movie after Beyond will have Kirks dad back.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Wee Bairns posted:

Looks like folks around the world will be able to watch the new Trek series on Netflix, while Canada will watch it on Bell's Space network. So it appears they really want to get it out to everyone.

Where is my VPN to connect to France?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

ST4: The Return of the Nexus

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

http://www.epictimes.com/07/28/2016/j-michael-straczynskis-statement-death-jerry-doyle/

Good read.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

A broke rear end one with too many cooks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Was it Berman who said he was glad season 7 was the last because the writers were having a hard time coming up with new story ideas? gently caress, fire all the shitass writers then and get some new blood.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Good news

http://io9.gizmodo.com/someone-made-a-life-size-bust-of-star-treks-scotty-that-1785086955

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Evek posted:

So I thought there was supposed to be more announcements for the new series? Is all we get for now some unfinished Andorian makeup?

Who the gently caress knows what's going on. CBS keep on being CBS.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

People are going to expect some pretty drat good special effects too. If it looks worse than a show on Syfy, there will be hell to pay.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I was watching Dark Matter (out of boredom I assure you) last Friday when I got to thinking that nobody's done anything interesting with space battles since nuBSG. In the show I was watching it was the same standard "little bolts of coloured light smack into one model or the other, cut to the cast shaking and the lights dimming" type poo poo, shields at 47% and so on. It's not the mid 90's any more, without a wider context at least that poo poo's not going to work for anybody. (Nether is doing the same loving thing but shaking the camera around and loving with the colour filters and lens flares in post) I mean that angle was played out even when they hung the "yuk yuk, isn't this just like Star Trek?" hat on it on the Stargate shows.

So when the first teaser comes out looking like a cheapskate movie tie-in console game from 07, it inspires little confidence

To be honest on DM, the showrunner has mentioned he has something like 1/4 the budget he had on Stargate and that was a decade ago. But I agree, same ol'.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

News:

quote:

Producer Bryan Fuller has announced that his upcoming CBS All Access series “Star Trek: Discovery” is set to have a female lead, a role that he adds could potentially go to a woman of color as reportedly all women seen for the role so far have been either African American or Hispanic.

CBS Television Studios is in the process of casting the role so sadly there will be no announcement of who will be involved in the show at today’s CBS presentation during the Television Critics Association summer press tour.

So far the various Trek series have had numerous female starship captains in guest star or recurring roles, while Kate Mulgrew’s Captain Kathryn Janeway “Star Trek: Voyager” became the franchise’s first female lead. Avery Brooks’ Captain Benjamin Sisko on “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” was the first African American to lead a “Star Trek” series.

A non-white female lead however has not been done on Trek before and as has been suggested, the lead role in ‘Discovery’ is not necessarily a captain. Shooting on the series is set to begin in two months under the helm of David Semel, with make-up tests currently underway – check out one that Fuller tweeted about this week. The first episode is slated to premiere in January.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/star-trek-discovery-to-have-a-female-lead/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

WickedHate posted:

There's going to be absolute hell if they end up casting a white actress after that statement.

He's hilarious when he's a smarmy rear end in a top hat and thus easily the best part of The Big Bang Theory. He needs to do more roles like that.

He's a smarmy rear end in a top hat on Dark Matter too, neckbeard and all.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Just have Michael Dorn play Worfs great-grandfather and bam instant ratings.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

A Welsh doctor where no one knows what the gently caress he is saying so everyone just agrees with him all the time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

They're too loving cheap to do anything post Voyager. TOS era means they don't need to really invent anything or come up with cool new technologies. gently caress since it's the prime timeline they don't even need to introduce tech from nu-Spock.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

They'd think people are too stupid and ask ENTERPRISE WHERE IS KIRK!??!?!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

There was some good poo poo in these here threads for a while. Best thread name is still keeping up with the cardassions.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The majority of the Peter David books are decent to good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My favorite part of this gif will always be the outstretched hand that says "gently caress it" and gives up.

Someone with skills needs to change the hand to give a middle finger.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

All the next gen crew got along as far as I've ever heard.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

So uh Brent Spiner is loving aces in Outcast.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Timby posted:

While they are legally separate entities and Paramount licenses Star Trek from CBS to make the movies, both corporations are owned by National Amusements, headed by Shari Redstone and Philippe Dauman. It would be a simple matter of Dauman calling his counterpart at Paramount (Brad Grey, I think) and saying, "Yo, let Fuller use your poo poo."

Same reason why Colbert isn't allowed to use the skits he did on Comedy Central even though both CBS and CC are owned by Viacom.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

But he has. He did "The Word" while he was pretending to be Colbert for the Donald Trump thing.

Yeah and then the next night he said he could never bring that Colbert character back or do The Word again because lawyers.

So he invented his twin brother also named Colbert and has done The Werd.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Beyond underperformed in the US but made bank overseas.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Why compare it to ID? It's already been profitable so anything it makes from China is just icing

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-beyond-box-office-success-failure/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Spiner is pretty good and creepy as gently caress in Outcast.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sash! posted:

I enjoyed Hardcore Henry

Great movie.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They look and feel cheap. I realize CBS isn't exactly shelling out tons of dough for Discovery, but you can probably bet that it'll be on par with Enterprise in terms of set and production design. I can't speak for the non-DC CW shows, but Arrow and Flash look like moderately-budgeted fan films with scripts to match. Don't get me wrong, they can be fun and entertaining, but they're too light on substance for something like Star Trek. CW as a whole skews toward a teenage demographic and I'm not sure you could ever have a "Measure of a Man" or "Siege of AR-558" on a CW Trek show. I realize "entertaining schlock" has become the norm for genre tv, but it's not what I'm looking for in a Star Trek series.

I got a feeling you're gonna be really loving disappointed with the new trek show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I still watch and enjoy Dr Who.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I remember O'Brien saying "drat" a lot in the DS9 premier and it was weird because he'd never cussed even once on TNG.

He cussed all the time, but alone in the transporter room.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Disguised as a poo poo sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Joe Mallozzi (showrunner of Dark Matter and originally, SG1) mentioned on his blog that the Star Trek series is currently shooting in Montreal, which cost Dark Matter some crew and construction personal.