Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

I think the really frustrating thing about the episode is that at the end Nog tells Jake to tell both sides of the story or whatever instead of doubling down on his (correct) opinion that Watters was a terrible captain who got everybody killed.

I thought he meant to have some sympathy for these college kids who were wildly out of their depths. Captain Dumbass was a charismatic figure who could have become a good leader, ensign cry face was just a kid who wanted to go home, don't call them all flaming retards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They threaten him with rent at one point if he doesn't behave. Including back payments dated to the Federation takeover.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's a bit confusing how Bajor struggles with environmental remediation in the first few seasons when the Federation is right there in orbit. Presumably that's the kind of thing the feds would be delighted to help with free of charge.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ferengi is a real word.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kurtzman the Tronk 2009 and Into Dankness writer is producing the new shw?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

skasion posted:

I don't have a problem with Jaylah replacing Chekov since they have pretty much the same (very thin) character of a spunky foreign geek with weird diction and an accent. If we're adding more ladies to the bridge crew I'd prefer Rand, but take what you can get I suppose.

Like they unfreeze Ayn Rand? Far out.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Captain Janeway did nothing wrong!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

English broadcloth is the only acceptable uniform material. Duck for lava planets at captain's discretion.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Under Armor's been A Thing for years. It's a really easy way to identify jackasses from a distance.

Whatever that sweat wicking fabric is though it's a lifesaver in hot climates and you can get it in normal clothes style.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The one where they have to rob the mobsters was too loving much. I'm in the home stretch so no more time for bullshit filler episodes.

The strut episode?

You don't deserve to wear that uniform.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nazareth posted:

I don't know if this is a terrible Star Trek opinion, but I view every holodeck episode as filler and I skip it entirely.
Though I'm not skipping the one with Data in the stache.

The Moriarty ones were p good

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

B5 season 1 is the worst garbage I've seen recommended in this thread, and people here have recommended Doctor Who.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wouldn't work, you can't have characters playing against type in the first feature film

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Early 90s TV just isn't as good as modern TV admit it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Four, surely.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Thaw is solidly in the top 33% Dr. Who episodes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You can skip episodes as long as you hate fun, where fun is defined as doing things you don't enjoy so that you can fit in with a dozen 30 something nerds on the modern equivalent of a star trek usenet group.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fighters would work if they had cloaking devices so they weren't instantly obliterated. That's kind of how it worked in the age of sail too. Boats were a useful tool in combat but they'd be shot to pieces if they were spotted before they reached their target.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

Enterprise's premise was fine, the problem was entirely on Captain Archer. It felt like they wanted him to be even more of a main character then the other captains when he was the most boring human in all of existence.

Bakula is a comic guy and they had him be all frowny.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Railing Kill posted:

Isn't this actually what they did? I remember someone ITT mentioning it a while back. Like, the scripts were written with "Technobabble" or "Piller Filler" where a big pile of technobabble ought to be, and LeVar Burton or Colm Meany or Roxanne Dawson would just make poo poo up?

That job fell to whoever was the science advisor at the time. You can imagine how much work went into the writers getting the science guy to understand exactly what needed to happen. I think Okuda complained that his input would be ignored whenever it was inconvenient. So lazy.

Supposedly Ron Moore inserted the tongue in cheek technobabble scene with Riker and the Ferengi guy in Rascals.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 25, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

funny way to spell posted:

I've just found a massive plot-hole in Star Trek. On stardate 46379.1 the USS Enterprise D arrives at Deep Space Nine "to assist in the reconstruction of the Bajoran aqueduct systems, damaged during the Cardassian occupation". The exterior view of the Enterprise docked at an upper pylon is shown in both the DS9 episode "Emissary" and in the Next Generation episode "Birthright, Part I". However, in the TNG episode Bajor is nowhere to been seen. Both episodes take place before the station was moved closer to the wormhole by order of Major Kira in "Emissary, Part II"

I understand this is a joke, but if that was a real camera set up like that Bajor wouldn't be in frame most of the time unless the station rotates.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Even if the station doesn't rotate, Bajor would not stay in the same place from the point of view of someone looking out a window.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Ocampa can only reproduce once in their life. If they miss the opportunity it will never happen again.

They give birth to a single child.

Voyager writers, ladies and gentlemen.

Lol for real in real life. That had never occurred to me.

Maybe the men give birth too? ... and also the smizmars.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do you guys think Star Trek with its societies that relentlessly expand and consume, whether they're good or bad, is a product of the mid-20th century?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Any of you guys been watching Westworld? As a video game afficianado (please kill me for writing those words in that sequence) that show sends shivers down my spine.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zurui posted:

Westworld is loving fantastic. If you're not watching it, you should be. So far it's the best science fiction I've seen on television, ever.

Yeah it's P good. Video games and buddhism have always been a good match but adding in blade runner and jaded skyrim PCs is a new sort of thing. And it pulls it off without effort.

A friend told me she didn't know about watching it because it was violent and misogynistic. It's like yeah, makes you question whether it's right to bring new life into a world of corrupt power and pointless suffering. HMMMMM

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If I ever got time to chat with a DS9 writer, I'd ask them if there had been an argument over whether O'Brien and Kira should have actually hooked up and destroyed his marriage.

Call me naive but I think it's possible for two men to have a platonic friendship.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What is that new triple parentheses thing?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Since you guys were wonderbling{

It's kind of a mess. The viewscreen is above the computer pit, and the side with two chairs is the life support station I think?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's waste management obviously. Who else would need a door to space?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Are those the actual proportions of nu-trek ships? The nacels look so top-heavy or the supports so spindly. There's something about all the designs in nu-trek like they looked up some ancient secret geometry on how to make things look terrible through bad and unnatural proportions.

Spaceships are spindly. Real spaceships are kind of neat with these weird butterfly unfolding from blunt cylinders to long fragile trusses and panels and antennae.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe with global warming and politics the way it's going Star Trek is going to turn out to have accurately predicted the time frame of WWIII, just the way it predicted iPads.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Data Graham posted:

And you know what's really frightening? If you drink enough of it, you begin to like it.

Same but for whiskey.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

You're drinking the wrong whiskey, friend.

Sorry I only drink golden tequila from late 22nd century cultivars of Martian agave grown on the southern slopes of Olympus Mons.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Low Ceiling

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I seriously lost it at Tomorrow is Thursday, well played.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Star Trek: Does Khan Seem Upset to You?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Variety reports that they're still searching for their lead.

But enough about the state of modern journalism, how is the new Star Trek going?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You know, the Full House cast did pretty well for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

DS9 doesn't have enough "attractive white men" in it? Rick Berman made sure Tom Paris would be a strong handsome white male lead for white males to relate to. This was important to him.

As a kid it took me forever to realize that people didn't think Bashir was white.