Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I was hoping they were going to cover that! It's been tantalisingly sitting the background for the all of these videos so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

zoux posted:

I never stuck with Picard, but I assume after Romulus was destroyed and the Romulan Star Empire was reduced to a powerless diaspora, the Federation tore the treaty of Algeron in half and started cramming cloaking devices in all their ships, right? That's what happened in All Good Things

I don't think we've seen any cloaking Federation ships in Picard, but it would make sense to not observe the treaty anymore. There are cloaking Fed ships in Discovery's 32nd century though, but that's so far in the future it's pretty meaningless.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

External Organs posted:

Man, those things were the absolute coolest.

Edit: oh, those aren't the old ones from the 90s, these are way fancier.

This is a series of replicas sold by Eaglemoss, each coming with a magazine talking about the ship.
They're neat, I have a few. I subscribed early on, but ended up dropping them because I had issues with paint alignment. Don't know if it really improved later, but I did pickup a few of the special bigger ones and those look good.

Eaglemoss went bankrupt earlier this year, so I guess this is clearing out the last of the stock. Maybe someone will pick up the rights to continue it too.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, the problem with Discovery (at least one of them!) is that it started off with a Main Character in season 1. It wasn't an ensemble show like most Star Trek shows and wasn't interested in developing most characters that weren't Burnham, Saru, Lorca or Stamets, mostly. It's moved into giving the other characters more to do in later seasons, but it's still focused on Burnham too much.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Astroman posted:

This is gonna be some wacky story where Q or aliens or a holodeck malfunction turns them all into talking dogs, isn't it?

Nah, only seems to be one dog from the plot synopsis, guess the rest are just there for the covers

quote:

BORK! An extremely rare purebred corgi from Earth makes its way aboard Deep Space 9 when Quark cuts a deal to procure it for a high buyer. After all, a Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all! But Latinum the corgi comes with unexpected cargo that shakes Captain Benjamin Sisko to the core: a Borg component discovered by a crew sent to uncover Cardassian technology after the station’s reoccupation. Don’t miss out on this exclusive “lost episode” celebrating the 30th anniversary of the fan-favorite show Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and debut comic series by acclaimed author Mike Chen (Star Wars: Brotherhood, Here and Now and Then) and Star Trek comics artist extraordinaire Angel Hernandez (Star Trek: Picard—Stargazer, Star Trek: Discovery—Adventures in the 32nd Century)

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I never bothered finishing season 2, but I'm going to give season 3 a go at least. Just can't decide if I can be bothered going back and finishing season 2, especially since I heard that s2 is worse than s1. The trailers for s3 look like the events of s2 aren't going to really factor in, so I probably won't.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

Disney might even own some Star Trek licenses from its Marvel deal via the comics.

With Disney now funding Doctor Who, maybe we can get some cursed Star Trek/Star Wars/Doctor Who crossover!

It would be awful, but I'd probably watch it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

For anyone who used to buy some of Eaglemoss' Star Trek models before they went bust, the company who brought their stock has started selling what they have: https://www.masterreplicas.com/

They're only putting about 25ish items up for two weeks at a time, then they'll rotate out to another batch. They apparently even have some stuff that Eaglemoss never got around to releasing before they went under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

I wonder how much of the "color of your tunic tells your department" thing in TOS was because of low fidelity of TV broadcasts that they had to be in your face about it so the audience could tell the difference vs Enterprise where they were broadcasting in HD so a strip of color would be good enough. Granted I don't think there's any real-world equivalent of "an entirely different primary color uniform" in modern military (maybe in historic militaries?), but is there that much differentiation in uniform between, say, medical, engineering, command, etc in a modern military?

Didn't the whole coloured departments thing happen in TOS because a TV company was putting cash into the show to help sell colour sets? You can see the show get more colourful over the two pilots and then the actual show.

The Cage was pretty drab when it came to uniforms and the bridge's paint job.
They added more verity to the uniforms for Where No Man Has Gone Before and re-painted the bridge to be more colourful.
Then the actual run of the show has the uniforms we know.