Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm still working my way through the videos, but I've noticed that the first few, at least, have the little clips at the end that you're supposed to be able to click on to jump to other videos - but the annotation that makes them work is missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

The video of the second part of the 8-bit Sonic playthrough is dropping frames left and right. Was this a recording error or an encoding error? Edit for example: for instance, around 10:50, when you say 'Sky Base Zone is a giant pain in the rear end', there's some serious frame loss.

FredMSloniker fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 6, 2016

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

It's not the only affected video. I didn't notice any issues with the Genesis Sonic videos, but you should probably re-watch, or just re-encode, the 8-bit ones.

Oh, and since I managed to fail to say it in my last two posts: I'm really digging your LP! While I wait for the next video, I'm watching your Dreamy Let's Play. As you might guess, it's relevant to my interests.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Since you can't really hear the Sonic Eraser music in the LP itself, here's the tune that plays in 1P and 2P mode. Now you two can DEER DEER DEER DEER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA4QXAsTPXc

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

So which one of you is the one with the Ricky Ricardo laugh? I've heard it in other videos, though not this one.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

This thread got me into your massive, massive backlog of YouTube videos. I'm currently working my way through the Mega Let's Play. And I ran across an eminently GIFfable moment:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ElaborateCautiousHarpseal.webm

e: The Gfycat URL contains 'Elaborate Cautious Harpseal'. Not the most compelling Maverick name, but...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

ricdesi posted:

Oh man, this GIF is AMAZING. Do you mind if I post that up on Twitter?

Please do! And if I get inspired to make any more D-pad fanart, what's the best venue for me to share it with you?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Apropos of nothing, I'm currently going through your Hyrule Warriors videos, and... were you playing on a small TV or something? Because the sheer number of times you missed a big flashing YOU NEED TO DEAL WITH THIS NOW or found yourself bumping into locked doors clearly visible on the map is startling. (And I'm not just saying this to be snarky. At least once you said you couldn't see the locked doors, but they show up just fine in the videos.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Is anyone else having issues with YouTube currently? It's decided it just doesn't want to show me more than twelve items for lists of playlists, so I can't see farther than, for instance, the Oracle games in the Zelda LP. (Thread pertinent, I can't see the playlist of the current 8-bit Mean Bean LP.)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I used the delay between you putting the video up and posting it here to do this:

http://i.imgur.com/yWNgzm2.gifv

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

ricdesi posted:

Moving on into Ice Cap Zone today -- hard not to get "Hard Times" out of my head now, it's been locked in there for weeks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8QWJcb1RD4

Do you have a citation for the 'rescue workers tell people who refuse to leave to write their IDs on their bodies for easier identification of the corpse' thing? Because that sounds like the sort of thing they wish they could do.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Ah. Mayor of a small town? That makes more sense.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

So is the plan to play as Knuckles in S&K, then go through S3&K as Sonic?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Dzhay posted:

Ah, so you'd still stop the Death Egg halfway. (and there'd still be no water in the back half of the game)

That reminds me. You said in one of the videos that there weren't drowning mechanics in Sonic and Knuckles. Did you mean that literally, i.e. the code for drowning doesn't exist, or did you simply mean there was nowhere to drown?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

When you go to do S3&K, do you plan on pointing out the Sonic 3 areas that are Knuckles-only? (I know that, as early as the first zone, there's a path only he can take.) And do you plan to do S2&K as well?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

I'm not surprised you ragequit Sonic Drift 2, but I'd like to note that it isn't impossible, and back in the day I got pretty good at beating it. There are a number of tips and tricks to be aware of; for instance, I don't think you realized that hitting a spring was cancelling your invincibility. Also, each of the characters has a special ability, activated by pressing up when you don't have a powerup and have at least two rings: Sonic and Metal Sonic have dashes (Metal Sonic's is better, but costs three rings), Tails has a jump, Amy drops hearts that cause confusion, Eggman throws mines, Knuckles can jump or punch out nearby racers (context-sensitive), and Fang throws oil balls that cause spinouts. The racers also have different stats, and Fang's handling is terrible, which wasn't doing you any favors.

Perhaps most significantly, it looks like you missed the whole drift part of Sonic Drift 2. Jamming the gas and brake while turning lets you do the drift, which is key to staying on the road.

Hopefully you'll revisit the game at a later date! It is fun once you know how to race.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

How can your vacations not have been planned by you, anyway?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Dzhay posted:

Not just me, right?

Now write horrifying Wispon stories.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

ricdesi posted:

Okay, real talk, guys. Is it just me, or is Oil Ocean Zone the absolute worst level out of the Genesis set of Sonic games?

Those rear end in a top hat seahorses are a pain, yes. I can't confidently say it's the absolute worst level, though; it's a contender, but so are Sandopolis Zone Act 2, Labyrinth Zone Act 2, Sky Chase Zone (mainly because it's booooring), most of the Sonic CD levels (no flow at all)...

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

What encoding did you use on the Sonic Spinball 8-bit videos? The pixels have this weird bright edge around them that's kind of distracting. I suspect you used bicubic interpolation; when you're scaling things up, you want to use bilinear, or nearest neighbor if you're scaling to an exact multiple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

So is Geoff going to show up more often, or did he just drop in for the day?