Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The charge slash is like, the number one method of dealing damage in the game. Ideally you will hit the enemy with one every time they are vulnerable.

There are a few guidelines, however:

There is no way (that I know of) to cancel out of having an attack charged. So you want to wait to start charging it until you know that you dont need to shoot or parry.

There is a delay between when you start charging a slash and when you can dodge, so it is always better to start charging your dodge first. This goes double in close combat. Edit: thats a lie: starting to charge a slash will cancel an already charging dodge. You can start charging a dodge while you charging a slash, however.

A fully charged slash has incredible range. You can go basically all the way across the arena to get a stun.

Getting hit by a projectile cancels both your dash charge and your slash charge.

Edit: also, the slash charge is actually fully charged right before the big effect that tells you its fully charged. So once you get a feel for it, you can squeeze in stuns quicker than it sees like you can at first.

This run is a bit sloppy, I do some extra shooting and I get hit like six times, but this video (5 mins) shows the strategy I used to get my first S rank on the first boss.

https://youtu.be/y7Dxq1yfdNs

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I was kinda surprised at how powerful the charge slash was considering it's the only move that isn't shown in the tutorial. Whenever I get a knockdown I usually charge one up

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

Yeah I was kinda surprised at how powerful the charge slash was considering it's the only move that isn't shown in the tutorial. Whenever I get a knockdown I usually charge one up

It's shown on the "how to play screen".

In close combat, you should boost every time you get a knockdown. The trick is that you might have to parry immediately after boosting sometimes, and I loving suck at that. But a boost into a charge attack in close combat is most if their bar, if it doesn't finish them.

The charge shot is the weakest mechanic, because targeting most bosses with it just causing them to dodge cancel and its a waste of time. Its really handy in a few situations though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

The boss introductions remind me of the No More Heroes boss intros.

the game in general has a Suda51 feel. it's a crazy game and it owns.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I watched the how to play tab but I never figured out how to use the charge slash properly. so I just got really good at parrying and the 4-hit combo instead. I probably abused the charge shot to my detriment but it feels really good to get one off on a boss

precision posted:

the game in general has a Suda51 feel. it's a crazy game and it owns.

I got this vibe as well

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Training posted:

The game is fairly easy from what I've played but I hope the hard mode is trickier. well maybe not because I don't like the parts where the boss is invincible and you just have to wait for them to get hit and they could lean into that heavily on hard mode. On the 6th boss

So far I don't find it easy because the parry timing is really really weird to me~! I can never parry at the right time based on reaction

But it's a fun game. I think it needs a bit more tuning to be on the level of the stuff like Bayonetta gameplay wise (it's really not the same type of game even if it sorta looks it) but the style is totally there and it gets intense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So far I don't find it easy because the parry timing is really really weird to me~! I can never parry at the right time based on reaction

But it's a fun game. I think it needs a bit more tuning to be on the level of the stuff like Bayonetta gameplay wise (it's really not the same type of game even if it sorta looks it) but the style is totally there and it gets intense

It's tricky because you have to learn the enemy's attacks. You can never parry before the flash, but there are some attacks with long delays between the flash and the strike and you can parry too soon if you hit it right when you see the flash. Each boss is different. It's very useful to learn what stance signals that they are done attacking, because by time you have waited to see if there's another flash, your attack window has probably closed.

• Locked thread