Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Problem description: The wireless card in my DIY PC will drop to "Limited Network Accessibility", the Network and Sharing area in Windows 10 shows my PC is still connected to my home network, which is an 802.11ac 5 GHz network, but doesn't show any of the other assorted networks around me. I live in an apartment complex and there are at least 15 to 20 other networks that show up on a typical scan. All of my other devices have no issues when connected to that router, so I don't believe it's causing the issue. The only way I've found to temporarily resolve the problem is to restart the computer, which involves having to use the reset button or holding the power button down, as the system will not shut down or restart since this issue started. I can't easily recreate the problem as it seems to occur after about 2 hours of no direct use, though I usually leave IRC and Vuze running, but it has also done this while I was watching Netflix on my PC for a few hours. I'm to the point where I think the card might be defective.

Attempted fixes: Disabled and re-enabled the card, moved it to a different PCI slot, uninstalled and reinstalled the newest drivers from Intel's site, checked power management settings for the network card and made sure it was set to "maximum performance", confirmed system is set to not go to sleep after any period of inactivity.

Recent changes: System configuration has not changed since early last month when more RAM was added to system. Problem didn't start until last week.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home/Core 64-bit

System specs: Intel Core i5-6500
ASRock H170M Pro 4 motherboard
24GB of G.Skill NT-Series DDR4 2400 MHz RAM (2x4GB and 2x8GB, same timings and CAS latency)
250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
3TB HGST DeskStar NAS 7200-RPM HDD
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 FTW+
Intel wireless AC 7260 card
EVGA Supernova G2 550W PSU

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Variable_H posted:

I'm to the point where I think the card might be defective.

That would be a decent bet.

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H170M%20Pro4/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah, I updated the drivers back in March when the latest ones released. However, I did manage to fix the issue I've been having. I guess I didn't properly delete the drivers that first time, so when I reinstalled them it didn't fix the issue. I completely uninstalled the device this time, wiped all the drivers for it, reinstalled the device and drivers and that seems to have worked. Thank you for replying with a suggestion though.

• Locked thread