Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hello friends. Isn't history the bee's knees? The ant's pants? The bullfrog's beard? Share your favorite photos from the past and maybe tell us a little about it! Feel free to share colorized photos too, as they can be much more "alive" in some cases.

Albert Einstein in 1939, with his friend David Rothmans, whom he just bought his odd sandals from. By the end of that summer, he'd write to F.D. Roosevelt, warning about Nazi Germany's nuclear research. I only ever see Einstein photos when they're paired up with quotes about intellect or something, so its refreshing to see a really casual side of things.

The "Forced Confrontation" of the Holocaust, with German soldiers watching footage from the camps. Forced confrontation took on many forms, including compulsory visits to liberated concentration camps, and helping with the disposal of corpses. I believe German citizens had to participate in this as well, although im not sure to what extent.

A gentleman's sport from 1913. From The Call newspaper of San Francisco: "Ray Campbell, formerly of San Francisco, and a boxer who has established quite a reputation over the short distance route in the northwest during the last few months, came to the front in leaps and bounds today at Steveston, when he cleverly and clearly outpointed the famous “Fighting Dick” Hyland, a former world’s title aspirant in the lightweight ranks, in a 15 rounds bout, which proved to be one of the best ever witnessed around Vancouver. A left jab with a right cross that landed more often that it missed, won the bout for Campbell."

Pope John Paul II visiting Mehmet Ali Agca in 1983. Two years prior, Agca had attempted to assassinate the pope during a procession in Vatican City. Agca was in and out of prison for a series of previous crimes, but was released in 2010. In 2014 he placed flowers on John Paul II's grave.

Neil Armstrong, after the moon walk. 1969. This is a photo I hardly see compared to all the others. But I love that exhausted, yet bewildered and joyous expression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

A Group of Samurai in front of Egypt's Sphinx, 1864

The seal on King Tut's tomb which had been undisturbed for 3000 years before being broken by Howard Carter in 1922

Mark Twain chilling with Nikola Tesla (1894)

Max Damage
Jan 8, 2005

The surrender of Akershus Fortress in Oslo, Norway. The German garnison's commander Major Josef Nichterlein and his aide Captain Hamel handing the fortress over to the Norwegian resistance movement's Terje Rollem in May 1945.

• Locked thread