Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Fran Bow is the adventure of a little girl whose parents had a minor accident and ended up being murdered by hellspawn. What's worse, she lost her best friend, her darling cat Mr. Midnight! Locked into a high security mental institution by mistake, she has to prove her sanity through talking to animals and entering the spirit realm through a jar of pills she stole from a nurse. Anything to save her good friend Mr. Midnight!

This game is a typical point-and-click adventure game with an interesting twist. By taking a certain kind of pill Fran is able to cross into a "Pill World" full of monsters and creatures, but also secrets and ways for her to advance. Sometimes the world is the same structure as the real one, sometimes it teleports her to an entirely new place. Fran's staggeringly high metabolism allows her to bounce back and forth between worlds at a whim, which allows for interesting plot and puzzle solving. Which world is real and which is fake? Who even knows?

I will be running this as a subtitled VLP in order to preserve some of the lovely atmosphere of the game. As with most games please do not post spoilers, even in censor bars. It just ruins things for everyone.

And with that, let's get to the show!

Section 1: The Asylum

Episode 1: Metabolism
Episode 2: Shadows

Section 2: The Forest

Episode 3: Beetlepig
Episode 4: Golden Cage
Episode 5: Double Header

Section 3: The Vegetables
Episode 6: Mr. Midnight's Day Out
Episode 7: The Doctor
Episode 8: Mecha-Valoka
Episode 9: Library Card
Episode 10: The Stones

Section 4: The Return
Episode 11: Itward
Episode 12: Insane Little Girls
Episode 13: White Rabbit
Episode 14: Denial

Section 5: The Truth
Episode 15: Bad Neighborhood
Episode 16: Mabuka
Episode 17: Return

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I enjoyed this game's atmosphere and am looking forward to seeing people's reactions to this game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It certainly has an interesting premise to it, although it's a bit of a different feel compared to, say, The Cat Lady. Everything is still presented through Fran's eyes, so while it deals with a lot of adult themes including loss and death that does not mean it is quite so glum. A kid can turn even the worst times into a magical world.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It certainly has an interesting premise to it, although it's a bit of a different feel compared to, say, The Cat Lady. Everything is still presented through Fran's eyes, so while it deals with a lot of adult themes including loss and death that does not mean it is quite so glum. A kid can turn even the worst times into a magical world.

At the same time, that also makes it more terrifying.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I bet the cat did it.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

This looks great, I might end up playing myself because I can't wait to see more.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SystemLogoff posted:

This looks great, I might end up playing myself because I can't wait to see more.

Glad people are enjoying it! I am planning on doing one video per week, the next one should be up by this Wednesday.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm digging this vintage aesthetic the game has. It also helps that we're seeing the game through the perspective of a fairly well-mannered kid so although everything is frightening, the main character being able to just cheerfully say hi to the bloodied corpses lying around is just plain great. Looking forward to seeing more of this game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

And here we go!

Episode 2: Shadows

The resolution is low when the video is first uploaded, it may take a bit to adjust.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I am pretty sure that the guard actually takes the cake if you take the right dialogue path. I think you have to say "You will regret it.":

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

2:38 Adelaida can't see the shadows, she can *hear* them. Fran can see them but apparently not hear them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

2:38 Adelaida can't see the shadows, she can *hear* them. Fran can see them but apparently not hear them.

It depends on which shadows, she can definitely hear a good number of them, just not always clearly

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I don't know if you do this later, but you should have checked that family picture while in the pill world.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I don't know if you do this later, but you should have checked that family picture while in the pill world.

I will do this, sure! That being said, I am going to show off as much of the game as I can but not everything for the sake of time, so some cool little bits may slip through the cracks in the future.

Speaking of time, this week's episode will be delayed a bit because I have family coming in from out of state this weekend. I'll get around to it as soon as I don't need to entertain anymore.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm actually happy this is being LPed because I stopped playing this game after a bit beyond the second episode. It's a very interesting premise, but I was focused on finding all the differences between Pill World and Normal World, so I got burnt out on retreading areas much quicker than the game intended.

So, if you haven't played it yet, and you aren't a diehard Point-and-click adventure fan, maybe just hold off for the LP to finish so you can coast along, You won't miss anything as long as DSW doesn't miss anything, as they're already presenting the game wonderfully.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Did someone say update?

Episode 3: Beetlepig

In this episode we see that axes solve everything.

Small note, there will be a short muted section halfway through the video; I got a copyright hit for a song that isn't even close to the in-game music but whatever. So rather than monetizing the video I just opted to mute it for that short section. Oh wait, I can't remove it for an unknown reason, so I apologize for the completely unnecessary ad.

In related news, if Youtube can't tell the difference between your music and an air raid siren with light piano accompaniment then you might consider making different music.

E. I will also head off the comments and say yes, I forgot to shut off group notifications as well as friends so Starfleet Dental makes a guest appearance for a second.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 2, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Also, hey thread! I need a name for the demonic goat monster that pops in and out of the game. I'll take suggestions til the next video.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Also, hey thread! I need a name for the demonic goat monster that pops in and out of the game. I'll take suggestions til the next video.

Timmy.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Sad that we lost that family picture. Oh well.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If you want a rather generic name, then Nightmare King will work. The monster does kinda remind me of that character from Little Nemo.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Well, he seems very forthright in telling Fran she's screwed, so let's call him...Ernest.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
The fact that I recently saw The Witch leads me to suggest Black Phillip.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Suggesting this if it is not the name of a different kid in the game. If it IS then I want to say Tommy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
What name would a little girl like Fran come up with? Princess Honeysnout.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

AltaBrown posted:

Well, he seems very forthright in telling Fran she's screwed, so let's call him...Ernest.

I like this one.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
See, everyone is coming up with cool names, and all I can think of is Goatman.

Mraagvpeine posted:

If you want a rather generic name, then Nightmare King will work. The monster does kinda remind me of that character from Little Nemo.
I really like this one. Kinda fits the game in a sense (at least, from what I can tell. I've never heard of this game before the LP).

EDIT!: Ah poo poo, we should just call him Krampus

Miz Kriss fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Aug 4, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Update!

We are actually going to learn the guy's real name in the next video, but I do like the title of Nightmare King for him so we'll be using that!

Episode 4: Golden Cage

A side note, the next update is going to have a large amount of the plot explained in one great big text dump, so I will be including stills with the video.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

You say you like Nightmare King, and yet you called him Midnight King in the video. Anyway, we found our kitty! And that skeleton guy appeared again; I don't know about you, but he creeps me out more than the twins.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

You say you like Nightmare King, and yet you called him Midnight King in the video. Anyway, we found our kitty! And that skeleton guy appeared again; I don't know about you, but he creeps me out more than the twins.

Oh no, I mistyped it! I'll throw an annotation in to correct it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's probably just the art style mixed with their thick eyebrows but the twins are giving me a major Frida Kahlo vibe. You know, that and the Two Fridas painting lines up a bit too well with this game's motifs.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ramos posted:

It's probably just the art style mixed with their thick eyebrows but the twins are giving me a major Frida Kahlo vibe. You know, that and the Two Fridas painting lines up a bit too well with this game's motifs.

I'm not very familiar with her, do you mean in terms of art style/that one particular piece or is there an over-arching theme in all her paintings?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Did someone ask for long winded, entirely textual plot dumps? Because I have you covered.

Episode 5: Double Header

Stills of the book at the end

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Kitty! That cat is just to cute. It's way less smug than I'd expect a cat to be, but it's a great cat. fighting with several demons to get it was totally worth it.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
So do the pills work anywhere else in the house? The well in the pill world didn't look like it had multiple screens.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

bbcisdabomb posted:

So do the pills work anywhere else in the house? The well in the pill world didn't look like it had multiple screens.
Everywhere in the house that you use the pills sends you to that well. So, sort of. I do quite enjoy how the game starts out with very clear definition between the "Pill World" and the "Real World," and then starts blurring the lines, so that by the time we arrive here at the twins' house, it almost seems like the worlds are flipped. I also like how this is nowhere near the weirdest point in the game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

That is correct, no matter where you are in the house you will always get dumped back into the bottom of the well when you take a pill, even if you are on different floors.

And the kitty is adorable, I couldn't help but smile when they were properly reunited for the first time.

Leximancer
Oct 24, 2010
Also, if you're on the lower floor you'll be on the bottom of the well, while if you're on the upper floor you'll fall from somewhere near the top of the well, if I recall correctly.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Well the whole thing just being in a well is even more horrifying then, holy poo poo. Plus carrying around a cauldron full of boiling water and dumping it over the girls' heads made me wince. Jesus Fran, that kills people!

I'm pretty amazed the game is still going, I would have figured it was almost done since we've found Mr. Midnight.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Two heads yet half a brain to share between them, it seems. Those twins weren't particularly bright.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm not very familiar with her, do you mean in terms of art style/that one particular piece or is there an over-arching theme in all her paintings?

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize you had responded to me. Anyway, the overarching themes and motifs in her paintings tend to line up with the game so far. She was painted a lot of what could be categorized as surrealist, which focuses on juxtaposing reality and dreams or fantasy, much like this game with the two worlds. Due to getting a severe injury early in her life that kept her from pursuing her career in medicine or having children, a lot of her works include morbid overtones despite how colorful and bright they initially seemed.

A few good examples:

The Suicide of Dorothy Hale

Self Portrait with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird

Two Fridas

The Wounded Deer

She did a lot of self portraits and most of her more famous works are generally self portraits though there are exceptions. Two Fridas in particular was what brought up the connection in my mind with the twins seem they don't really seem to be acting like two separate people so much as a single person who is having a lot of issues with self value? Frida's got a lot of that with how handicapped she likely felt after her several injuries she got early in her life. Stretching the connections a little, there's also a bit of juxtaposing between nature and animals with herself and the general bit of suffering that follows her around.

I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if this game took a bit of inspiration from Frida in general along with a chunk of other surrealist pieces before it.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 13, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm pretty amazed the game is still going, I would have figured it was almost done since we've found Mr. Midnight.
We might be halfway done at this point. We've still got to get home, and that's a hell of a journey, and a trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

bbcisdabomb posted:

Well the whole thing just being in a well is even more horrifying then, holy poo poo. Plus carrying around a cauldron full of boiling water and dumping it over the girls' heads made me wince. Jesus Fran, that kills people!

Oh my friend, we have only tipped over the edge of this rabbit hole. There is plenty left to go.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing that. I think you may be right, the tone is certainly similar to what you are describing

• Locked thread