Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

bbcisdabomb posted:

I'm pretty amazed the game is still going, I would have figured it was almost done since we've found Mr. Midnight.

I thought this too. I got slightly further than where the LP is at, so I'm very grateful this is being played. It takes some VERY unexpected turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I actually will admit that I have not finished the game, I left off and restarted shortly after the upcoming sequence (as it sounds like most people here have). So plot wise I will be experiencing it for the first time just like the rest of you.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You are in for something special.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Video will be up this weekend, I have some time off and I'm hoping to get a lot of work done.

In the meantime, I got an email with an invite for the Fortnite alpha and I can invite two buddies. Since you guys are my buddies for being awesome and following this series, the next two people who want a key and posts an email here can get in on the alpha too.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, sure why not? It's

GONE

Ramos fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 18, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Update!

Episode 6: Mr. Midnight's Day Out

This is a very talky update so I will be doing a double header (hah) and posting another one this weekend. Enjoy!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The plants don't seem to be speaking any actual language that I can figure out.

What a weird game. I had almost suspected Fran turned into a spirit mid fall considering she lost her clothes in the process.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ramos posted:

The plants don't seem to be speaking any actual language that I can figure out.

What a weird game. I had almost suspected Fran turned into a spirit mid fall considering she lost her clothes in the process.

It's nonsense as far as I can tell. Using the alphabet code from the book on the sign you end up with words like "nihiiesahethioh" and "peohnihiijegre", which is just random words (unless it's a phonetic language of some sort)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's the old "suddenly I'm a log"-plot line. We all know how that goes.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's nonsense as far as I can tell. Using the alphabet code from the book on the sign you end up with words like "nihiiesahethioh" and "peohnihiijegre", which is just random words (unless it's a phonetic language of some sort)

I'd guess it's sort of like translating Japanese katakana into the western alphabet. You can find out how some words are written or pronounced, but you have no chance of understanding anything.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Air is lava! posted:

It's the old "suddenly I'm a log"-plot line. We all know how that goes.

I'd guess it's sort of like translating Japanese katakana into the western alphabet. You can find out how some words are written or pronounced, but you have no chance of understanding anything.

I actually ended up translated a few of the words and popping them into Google Translate since that program will auto-select a language to translate from and it gave me everything from German to Maori, so I am guessing that it is either nonsense or writing out how words sound phonetically ("ahppele" = apple). It definitely isn't english.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

One thing that got me about that flash back is that we still haven't really been told why Fran was in that asylum. Unless I missed something important earlier on. We're just told we're sick or tormented, and while I agree that seeing your dead parents probably isn't good for your mental well being, this is a little extreme. We didn't talk to any adults about the things we were seeing, and as far as we know it wasn't until after we took the pills that we did anyway. All in all, locking us away from our only surviving family member seems like the really wrong course of action.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Warmal posted:

One thing that got me about that flash back is that we still haven't really been told why Fran was in that asylum. Unless I missed something important earlier on. We're just told we're sick or tormented, and while I agree that seeing your dead parents probably isn't good for your mental well being, this is a little extreme. We didn't talk to any adults about the things we were seeing, and as far as we know it wasn't until after we took the pills that we did anyway. All in all, locking us away from our only surviving family member seems like the really wrong course of action.

I'm pretty sure the intro or documents we looked at somewhere in the asylum said that Fran was considered to be responsible for her parents' deaths or least implied as much. It's a pretty big thing to miss.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I'm pretty sure the intro or documents we looked at somewhere in the asylum said that Fran was considered to be responsible for her parents' deaths or least implied as much. It's a pretty big thing to miss.

That is correct, to quote

Patient chart for Fran posted:

"The Patient was found near the Oswald Asylum showing signs of psychosis // The Bow-Dagenhart family trgedy. Details omitted."

So they found her in the woods acting bonkers and brought her in for treatment.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Warmal posted:

I think this is safe to say without really spoiling anything, but there is a bit more going on than what we've seen. This game is nowhere near done with its surprises.

Also, I'm mildly disappointed if the plant people's language is just gibberish. I know if I were doing something like this, I would come up with things for everything to say in english or another actual language, and then feed it through a substitution cipher of some sort.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That is correct, to quote

So they found her in the woods acting bonkers and brought her in for treatment.

She also claimed to have seen Goaty Mac Goatface that night. That is probably not the sanest thing from a little girl which might have killed her parents.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 19, 2016

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Just caught up. This game is amazing and I just love the style. Eagerly awaiting the next update, DSW!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
From the way the asylum looked, I also don't think this is taking place in the modern day, but probably in the bad old days of psychiatry. Nowadays you don't put a girl in a straightjacket dress unless she's restrained 24/7, for example.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Alright so I did clearly miss some stuff somehow. Either way, these things still seem more like things you put someone in therapy for. Perhaps claiming Fran seeing a goat person is just her projecting a monster onto a person who killed her parents. But I'm not an expert. Maybe the asylum where they experiment on kids is the right place for her.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

And the second update!

Episode 7: The Doctor

A few things are changing about how I do all of this. I will be attempting to switch over to an actual publishing schedule, with more bite-sized, 15-25 minute videos rather than 45 minute behemoths. I've tried it out with the last few videos and I find that I can make a lot higher quality things with less stress in that kind of format, but that means that a few things will be altered.

I will be putting up a new video every Wednesday and Saturday. This will be at least one Fran Bow video per week, although I will be splitting some of my time with VR videos as well for my other thread. I'm still working out the details on how exactly I want to do it but that is the general idea of it for now.

What does this mean? Well, for one I hope that I will be able to put out more content on a more regular basis for you guys rather than a scattershot method like I have now. The flipside is that things may get a bit more muddled in terms of when exactly everything pops. Therefore I am going to shill myself and recommend that anyone enjoying this series either subscribe to my channel or follow my Twitter where I will be posting updates (along with other stuff) with what I am working on. I will be scheduling many videos to publish at certain times, sometimes when I will not be able to update this thread, and as a result they may occasionally will go live on Youtube/Twitter several hours before I post in here.

Currently the plan is for the next two updates to be Fran Bow, on Wednesday and next Saturday.

I can't express how thrilled I am to hear that you guys are enjoying the series and I'm doing my best to improve my methods so that I can make things even better.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 20, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Ooh, Wintertime. I still get chills remembering that section of the game.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So Fran's opened a gate that others can follow? I guess that means that the pedophile guard is going to be dropping back into the story sooner rather than later. I won't be surprised if he suddenly hops in right near the end of this section.

I also personally thought the clock vegetable guy was really cool looking. Maybe it was just how the animations of all his legs working together looked.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 21, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ramos posted:

I also personally thought the clock vegetable guy was really cool looking. Maybe it was just how the animations of all his legs working together looked.

Clock guy is kind of a personal issue because I really hate spiders.

CaptQuick
Apr 30, 2009
Just now catching up on this LP. I really love some of the imagery.

Since I've been binging through I can actually answer a question you raised in Episode 3. You said it was hard to date the early sections in the hospital. In the first two episodes the Doctor notes in the patient rooms have dates on them for when they were recorded. They're all from 1944, the dates are

Fran's notes July 25
Phil's notes April 6
Adelaida's notes March 17th

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

CaptQuick posted:

Just now catching up on this LP. I really love some of the imagery.

Since I've been binging through I can actually answer a question you raised in Episode 3. You said it was hard to date the early sections in the hospital. In the first two episodes the Doctor notes in the patient rooms have dates on them for when they were recorded. They're all from 1944, the dates are

Fran's notes July 25
Phil's notes April 6
Adelaida's notes March 17th

Good eye! That would definitely match the assumptions that we have had about the quality of mental care at the time. It was certainly still...rough.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Slightly early video since I am diving into Deus Ex...

Episode 8: Mecha-Valoka

This little Fran went to the store...

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I must object to your knock against the lemon - considering the context of being required for a magical memory enchantment via word puzzle, it's not really in the same league as, say, saving the pie in King's Quest V to throw at a yeti or the cat hair mustache in Gabriel Knight III.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Unless I'm mistaken, no matter what season you are, it will forcibly become winter for the shadow scene.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I must object to your knock against the lemon - considering the context of being required for a magical memory enchantment via word puzzle, it's not really in the same league as, say, saving the pie in King's Quest V to throw at a yeti or the cat hair mustache in Gabriel Knight III.

It would make sense if we had gone to the mountain first, but as it was in the story we didn't know we needed one yet. Fran is a lemon vandal.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, no matter what season you are, it will forcibly become winter for the shadow scene.

Correct, it will automatically switch whenever you go into a spooky scene.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It would make sense if we had gone to the mountain first, but as it was in the story we didn't know we needed one yet. Fran is a lemon vandal.

Cutting a hole in the lemon basket is different from politely asking for one and being refused, and while jarring to be able to do it before having any reason to it's better than the alternative where the game doesn't let you do the correct action for a puzzle solution before you get to the right spot in the story. It's practically never done in a way that works out well for someone who doesn't already realize they're playing the kind of game that does stuff like that.

e: Thinking on it, it's also not as 'goofy adventure game logic' as it might first appear, it could easily be taken in as evidence in favor of one interpretation of Fran/the plot later down the road.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 24, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Cutting a hole in the lemon basket is different from politely asking for one and being refused, and while jarring to be able to do it before having any reason to it's better than the alternative where the game doesn't let you do the correct action for a puzzle solution before you get to the right spot in the story. It's practically never done in a way that works out well for someone who doesn't already realize they're playing the kind of game that does stuff like that.

I am making a joke, not trying to point out an intrinsic flaw in Fran's character.

Although I would love it if lemon stealing turned out to be a key part of her mental disorder. The dark quarters rather than the triad?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 24, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hey guys! It turns out that tomorrow's update is going to fall on the one year anniversary of Fran Bow's release! It was totally intentional and did not just happen to fall that way, I swear.

The game is half off on Steam this weekend if anyone wants to support the developer (or thinks they can play better than me).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Happy Birthday, Fran Bow!

I am excited to say that I have officially finished recording! :toot: That means that in order to celebrate the anniversary of the game's release I am going to be putting out an episode every single day until we get through the end of the game! The rest of the game really is a treat and I can't wait for you guys to see it

Let's get started with today's episode! This post is very excitable!

Episode 9: Library Card

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 27, 2016

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am excited to say that I have officially finished recording! :toot: That means that in order to celebrate the anniversary of the game's release I am going to be putting out an episode every single day until we get through the end of the game! The rest of the game really is a treat and I can't wait for you guys to see it

Episode 9: Library Card

:dance:

Great! I'm loving this LP and this game. It's infinitely interesting to me how this little, strange 2d game can freak me out so much. Last episode managed to, once again. I don't know if it was the childrens' hosed up doll faces or the "I want to be your mommy" dialogue...

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am excited to say that I have officially finished recording! :toot:

Did you ever show off the family picture in the pill world? Also, when you're at the doctor's office at the end, did you try going back to the door? Did you check out the picture behind the door?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Did you ever show off the family picture in the pill world? Also, when you're at the doctor's office at the end, did you try going back to the door? Did you check out the picture behind the door?

I got it, don't worry, I made absolutely sure I went back and checked it out. And yeah, we did it earlier in the series, their faces were all hollowed out

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 27, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Oh really? I must have missed that. Time to rewatch.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Let's keep this train moving!

Episode 10: The Stones

Back to the "real world" we go!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That's not how a metronome works, they get faster as the weight is lowered. Eh, whatever. Fran's also getting increasingly adventure game protagonist as this game goes on. She's totally down to cause whatever mayhem and harm is necessary to get to the next arbitrary goal.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 28, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

You can at least opt to return the ticket you steal from the bee. It doesn't exactly excuse going on to give the mantis a concussion but still...

Also I had to retry that jumping minigame way more times than I care to remember, it's really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

Oh really? I must have missed that. Time to rewatch.

Let me know if you find it, cause I must've missed that, too.

• Locked thread