Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
You didn't give the pass back. That poor bee will never have delicious lemonade again. To be fair, he kinda overdid it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Look people, lemonadism is a very serious disease, I am just saving the bee from himself. That poor man drank for three months straight, he clearly needed to go to LA for his bee-sease.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Also I had to retry that jumping minigame way more times than I care to remember, it's really bad.

Yeah, I cut out about ten other tries. You have to get on the verrrrry edge of the jumps or you will just tip right in. Unfortunately most of the mini games aren't that great, I like the music and art style shift but they aren't that fun.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

The more this goes on, the more I really wonder how much of this is "real" and what isn't. You can say it must be real because we read about this stuff in the book, and the giant ant was obviously from Isthersta, and we met him before we learned about any of this. But really, was that book even "real?" The lines between pill world and "real" world blur so much that it's hard to keep track of what part you're actually in in the woods and the house. You can say this must be real because of the kid locking us in the office knowing about giant goat demon, but it could be a shared delusion rather than reality.
What I'm getting at is I hope it becomes really clear cut by the end of the game what's real or not, otherwise all the speculation really feels wasted.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Warmal posted:

The more this goes on, the more I really wonder how much of this is "real" and what isn't. You can say it must be real because we read about this stuff in the book, and the giant ant was obviously from Isthersta, and we met him before we learned about any of this. But really, was that book even "real?" The lines between pill world and "real" world blur so much that it's hard to keep track of what part you're actually in in the woods and the house. You can say this must be real because of the kid locking us in the office knowing about giant goat demon, but it could be a shared delusion rather than reality.
What I'm getting at is I hope it becomes really clear cut by the end of the game what's real or not, otherwise all the speculation really feels wasted.

It's more like Total Recall actually, but if you didn't enjoy that film then I don't know what to tell you other than you are just plain wrong.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Now now, we're only a calendar week away from everything wrapping itself up, let's not start posting spoilers now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Choo choo update train running on

Episode 11: Itward

Today we meet our good buddy/nemesis.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Itward is an... interesting character. I'm going to wait to share my thoughts on him until after the next video or two. I don't think they include any explicit spoilers, but there's some stuff that I think will be more surprising without me sharing yet.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Itward is fascinating as part of the question of how much of this is real or made up by Fran. She never responds to anything having to do with him when his name cropped up either in the asylum or when the Great Wizard calls the toy with his book the Itward toy, and Leon doesn't have anything about Itward in his book as I recall. But next video we'll see at least one thing that will make it hard to believe he's a complete fabrication if anything we see in the pill world is real.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, I have no idea what to make of Itward.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

He is kind of a strange character. He gives hints that you know him from before, which made me think that he was some kind of imaginary friend or something like that. His character is whimsical enough to be something that a child would have invented for a friend.

But if he is a friend then he is kind of a weird one, in the sense that he does dangerous things for innocuous reasons. Getting her caught in a trap just to make sure he found her? It's pretty odd.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I think one of the things I appreciate most about this game is how nice most of the characters are. Even the Deadleeworm lets Fran climb all over the moose after she apologizes and says hello.

I also love how she'll talk to the Deadleeworm and make sure he'll come visit her when she dies. Even in death, she'll have friends.
Now I want some art of the Deadleeworm staring down the Nightmare King.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

We're flying in with an update!

Episode 12: Insane Little Girls

bbcisdabomb posted:

I think one of the things I appreciate most about this game is how nice most of the characters are. Even the Deadleeworm lets Fran climb all over the moose after she apologizes and says hello.

I also love how she'll talk to the Deadleeworm and make sure he'll come visit her when she dies. Even in death, she'll have friends.
Now I want some art of the Deadleeworm staring down the Nightmare King.

It really makes the whole thing a lot more endearing, Fran is such an eternal optimist, it plays well against her brutal bloody madness.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

You'd think Itward's appearance in the Ultrareality would be something you could ask him about, but Fran never brings it up. Whatever his answer, it'd make figuring out whether he's just a weird friend who only looks like he's not telling Fran everything or not a lot easier.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The way that one of the twins just stares at you, smiling, always creeps me out.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mraagvpeine posted:

The way that one of the twins just stares at you, smiling, always creeps me out.

Jesus, you weren't kidding. Easily the creepiest thing in the video, and there were a few contenders.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

They're just happy to be separate again, clearly.

Itward is ridiculously fey in the old fairy tale sense. The dude seems to working on a moral compass completely parallel to humans and probably thinks whatever he is doing is right in the grand scheme of things. I suspect this whole disconnect in communication thing is probably just him trying to tie together Fran's two worlds or something because duality is good. Whether or not that's actually good for Fran, who knows.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 30, 2016

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It's nice to finally get the full story with the twins as well. I'm not sure with everybody else, but the shadow puppet show made their events seem a little confusing. It looked like they were separate when they tried to kill Itward, but he states that they had had their bodies sewn together before that point at least. It's giving us all the information, but doesn't seem to make it entirely clear. Especially since we found their skeletons separated. Perhaps that's the point, or perhaps I missed something again. Either way. It was nice of him to give them a chance, although it feels like the chance was just a small part in the grand scheme of teaching Fran about realities instead of actually helping them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

We don't quite have the whole story of the Sisters yet, just the side that comes out of the Ultrareality. It is safe to say that them killing Itward may have been a metaphor, as he is clearly not dead, and they may just have been severing their link to him in their own minds. Time will tell.

I do like Ramos' idea of Itward being one of the Fair Folk, it does match up with his personality well. Whimsical and actually trying to do some good sometimes, but ultimately not really understanding this world because his own perception is so foreign to us. He lives in a world where skinning feet for shoes and catching little girls in nets is a reasonable thing to do, just because his morality doesn't work the same way as ours does. I guess Fran literally got carried off by the Faeries.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things are going down in this update

Episode 13: White Rabbit

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

My heart just sank at the end. So painfully close.

Though now I have to wonder if there's another world Fran on the loose or if Fran's an even less reliable viewpoint than expected. Or both.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Well, that birthday surprise was the bit I was waiting on to share my thoughts on Itward, but other folks have sort of hit it already. I'll still clarify a bit. I see Itward as being a "good guy" of sorts who just happens to be running on a severe case of blue and orange morality. He considers what he does to be good, and genuinely has Fran's best interests at heart, but his concept of "good" is so utterly alien to us that he tends to come across as really sinister. As far as we know, that net trap at the beginning is simply a common way to greet others among his.. people? (I'm not quite sure how I feel about the idea of multiple Itwards running around, or if he is a unique being.) I could talk for hours about moral relativism, but I'll leave it at what I've got.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I think that if Itward had a 'people' so to speak Leon would have run into one of them. He ran into everything else Fran sees after all. Itward probably just doesn't like or trust adults even if they're sensitive to the Ultrareality so he never shows himself to them. Well, assuming that the fact that the only debris left over from the flying machine crash was the bike doesn't have any bearing on whether the flying machine and by extension Itward himself was real or not...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's interesting to note that we are playing through the "edited" version now, as shown by the cinematic. It's possible that they may just be two different stories. Hell, the whole thing could be one very messed up story for all we know.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I was thinking it would be interesting if Itward had limited reality editing powers, so the story sequence could be him retconning Fran and his ship slamming into the ground into something different and hopefully survivable.. He's off fixing his ship, hopefully he'll be back later.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I've also got to wonder how much of this weirdness is centralized in the forest. While the Silent Hill world seems be everywhere, everything in the natural world only gets weird in the forest. The aunt's home and the ward are both generally grounded in reality and, I think at the beginning too, the goat head guy came from the forest.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ramos posted:

I've also got to wonder how much of this weirdness is centralized in the forest. While the Silent Hill world seems be everywhere, everything in the natural world only gets weird in the forest. The aunt's home and the ward are both generally grounded in reality and, I think at the beginning too, the goat head guy came from the forest.

That may be true, but we also went into the forest when we were well set in Duotine, while it was still new to us in the Asylum. In fact, it kind of flipped in the Twins' house, where we went back into reality when we took a pill rather than the hellscape. The amount of time that we have been able to use the pills since leaving that house has been getting less and less, so it's hard to say if it's the pills or the forest that is having that effect.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That reminds me, Fran finished the whole bottle. That can't be healthy.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

That reminds me, Fran finished the whole bottle. That can't be healthy.

I have no idea what you are talking about I take entire bottles of antipsychotics all the ti-killthewhoresstripthefleshwatchthembleed-me

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This update is healthy and alive.

Episode 14: Denial

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

I'm so excited for this chapter. For those who thought things have been weird so far, nothing we have seen compares to what happens here.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

It's true, this is the weirdest chapter and we're in for a ride. This bizarro fantasy bedroom of Fran's previously thought ideal escape from the asylum is just the tip of the crazy.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, her aunt's not wrong about Fran's hands. She stole a crowbar and started to destroy the doctor's car without prompting.

That said, this whole drugs allow you to access to other realities stuff is really old occult stuff. There's always been a variety of explanations depending on the particular esoteric practice ranging from the simple "Humans have limited mental faculties to perceive things" to crazy stuff like "We're evolved from plants and evolving a skull had locked our brain from outside mental waves". Either way, it's a pretty common belief among such groups that humans pick up a lot more subconsciously than we do consciously and having greater conscious access to what we normally subconsciously perceive is the key to interacting with this stuff.

Complete with the Josef Mengele bullshit of sewing two twins together in the 1940s and child lobotomies, I wouldn't be too surprised if we have a crazed doctor into demonology at the center of this whole story. You know, in addition to evil Fran running around.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The doctor is almost halfway to saying the same thing, he just can't accept the idea that there is a supernatural world.

What was interesting to me during that scene is that he knew Itward's name (almost). The twins knew him fourty-ish years ago, and here is Fran knowing the same person. That is an extraordinary coincidence if it is all a delusion.

Granted the Twins might have made a guy named Edward and Fran is just using suggestion to change his memory, but still.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This update is going places.

Episode 15: Bad Neighborhood

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Talk about gypped, Alice gets a fantastic world with flamingo croquet and weird size changing food while Fran gets blood and dark spirits.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ramos posted:

Talk about gypped, Alice gets a fantastic world with flamingo croquet and weird size changing food while Fran gets blood and dark spirits.

My next LP is going to be American McGee's Alice so we'll see about that :unsmigghh:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

We're almost there!

Episode 16: Mabuka

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Huh. I expected the Mother of Darkness to be a bit more threatening or something. As it is she seems pretty chill.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Nice to know that the heart of darkness is a waiting room and bureaucracy.

bbcisdabomb posted:

Huh. I expected the Mother of Darkness to be a bit more threatening or something. As it is she seems pretty chill.

I get the feeling she isn't so much evil as she is just a constant force. Darkness is and therefore so is she. Granted, that apparently comes with some edginess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

I mostly like how casually disappointed she is that she can't just up and murder (or worse) Fran.

• Locked thread