Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpheus
Jan 29, 2015
What is Skyrim?
I imagine most people have at least heard of Skyrim, but just in case: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is an open world action role-playing video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls series, following The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Skyrim's main story revolves around the player character and their effort to defeat Alduin the World-Eater, a dragon who is prophesied to destroy the world. The game is set two hundred years after the events of Oblivion and takes place in the fictional province of Skyrim. Over the course of the game, the player completes quests and develops the character by improving skills. Skyrim continues the open world tradition of its predecessors by allowing the player to travel anywhere in the game world at any time, and to ignore or postpone the main storyline indefinitely.

Why play Skyrim?
I've been meaning to do a Let's Play for a long time, and I figured what better game to start out my Let's Play career with than Skyrim? They just announced a remastered version, I never finished it in the first place, and it has so many things different things to do, that it's perfect for a Let's Play.

Isn't this your first Let's Play?
Yes, as a matter of fact, it is. So it might suck. Constructive criticism is welcome. I'm also slowly teaching myself how to edit these videos, so hopefully the editing will get better as the series goes on.

When will you release new episodes?
Right now I'm trying to stretch it out to gauge interest, so probably one every few days. If people really like it, I might be able to batch record and release one a day, but I also work full time, and editing videos takes a long time. Anyway, let me know.

You didn't answer my question!
Well, to be fair, I am pretty dumb. If you have a question, and I didn't answer it, just ask me. I'll answer it as best I can.

I hosed it up, I'll be back someday with an actually good LP.

Alpheus fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You'll need a lot of editing to turn Skyrim into anything resembling interesting.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Alpheus posted:

Isn't this your first Let's Play?
Yes, as a matter of fact, it is. So it might suck. Constructive criticism is welcome. I'm also slowly teaching myself how to edit these videos, so hopefully the editing will get better as the series goes on.

Nobody cares and you're going to need a lot of everything to make this even remotely bearable, much less interesting.

Alpheus
Jan 29, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

You'll need a lot of editing to turn Skyrim into anything resembling interesting.

Thanks for the input, I am definitely trying to make it pretty highly edited. The first couple episodes don't really show this because it's mostly story, but it's definitely where I'm planning to go later on.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
The spinning is dizzying.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Your camera work is rapid and jumpy, there's constant background noise from your mic, the episode ends at a baffling place and you refused to roll Argonian. Back to the drawing board, bucko.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Alpheus posted:

Thanks for the input, I am definitely trying to make it pretty highly edited. The first couple episodes don't really show this because it's mostly story, but it's definitely where I'm planning to go later on.

You could skip all that pointless intro garbage and load the auto-save right before character creation after introducing yourself and describing the game a little. You could just roll with a pre-fab (NORD or BEAST FOLK, as ELVES are poo poo) since no one really cares what your first person POV character looks like and this isn't like, a "comedy" LP where you're going through the game straight-faced but with some bizarre looking slider nightmare. You could describe the background and go into what's happening during the unskippable and 100% boring beheading sequence. (As a side note- you could rehearse and prepare a little before you play instead of going completely off the cuff which is loving torturous) You could haul rear end and only pause for scripted Alduin firebreathing segments during the heavily-scripted escape; it might make the scene more tense for the three people who've never played skyrim while making it mercifully short for people who've had to sprint through that mess a dozen times already. You could end your first video by putting a question to the audience: go with the Imperial or the Stormcloak (for the tutorial, or even in general).

gently caress, man. At the very least turn your mouse sensitivity down and be slightly aware of where the camera is moving and how often and where it actually should be pointed. Enunciate when you speak; I couldn't understand a loving word you said during the intro (which you really probably should have skipped) except to say "did anyone see that bird?" and no, man, we couldn't see anything because you have mouse ADD. Every so often stop and ask yourself: "would I want to watch this for fun?" If the answer is "no" then you done goofed.

tl;dr-

Lizard Wizard posted:

Back to the drawing board, bucko.

im cute fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 8, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

There's also nothing wrong with post-commentary. That'll give you the opportunity to edit your video down, cut out the parts that aren't important, organize your thoughts and jokes, and make it so you don't have to divide your attention between talking and playing a video game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alpheus posted:

I've been meaning to do a Let's Play for a long time, and I figured what better game to start out my Let's Play career with than Skyrim?

Literally anything else. This is such an absurdly massive project to take on for your first attempt.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

OP you should LP a Pokemon game. It doesn't get any easier than that for a first go without dipping into visual novel territory.

Alpheus
Jan 29, 2015

Lizard Wizard posted:

Back to the drawing board, bucko.

Okay, I was too ambitious for my first LP. Thanks all for your comments. I'm probably gonna try again with a Final Fantasy in a while once I play around with some stuff and figure out how to do it better. Thanks for all your time actually watching my horse poo poo and telling me how to make it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Alpheus posted:

Okay, I was too ambitious for my first LP. Thanks all for your comments. I'm probably gonna try again with a Final Fantasy in a while once I play around with some stuff and figure out how to do it better. Thanks for all your time actually watching my horse poo poo and telling me how to make it better.

I'm gonna say you weren't ambitious enough. You made the mistake, as far as I can tell, of thinking that the act of making an LP consists of flicking on the video capture and talking.

My biggest point of advice is to familiarize yourself with the workflow. I say this because I have the sneaking suspicion your noise issue stemmed from mic audio being baked into your video capture. Poke your head into the Tech Support Fort and learn a thing or two about Audacity and AviSynth. The former is crucial for capturing and editing commentary audio, while the latter is a deceptively simple programming language for video editing. If you feel that your commentary is awkward or don't have much confidence in your ability to provide good commentary, consider dragging a friend or two into it. Not saying anything about your commentary, mind you - just speaking from experience.

Good luck! Making a decent LP is both harder and easier than you may think.

• Locked thread